Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canon Supersize seminar with Geoff Ang

Default Re: Canon Supersize seminar with Geoff Ang

Quote Originally Posted by mm63 View Post
    Nice guy...was in the same NS unit as him 15 years ago. Back then, he was already the unit "official" photographer. His father runs a photo studio so Geoff probably started learning from a very young age.
    Hmm... i was wondering how he managed to get those medium format and rent a 2 x shophse in Tanjong Pagar...

Nevertheless, he worked hard for it...
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Quote Originally Posted by Tachyon View Post
    I really learned a lot from Geoff yesterday! I guess he's not afraid to show how he did it because even someone else with all the same equipment tries to duplicate his work, its the experience behind him that produced a fantastic image!

My take home message is "Practice hard, work hard! There is no short-cut to world class images!"

By the way, I was seated in front and someone behind me was busy snapping images of his slides all through the talk! I guess he figures he can reverse-engineer Geoff's work? If that's the case, then I'm afraid he missed the point of the whole talk - 'It's not where you take it from... it's where you take it to!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ardnirun View Post
    ouh..that old man with his 70-200?hahahaha

everytime Geoff change slide...*snap*...hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    very irritating !
    together with a young chap on his left!

all his pictures are available on his website!
    Very irritating indeed, every now and then "ka-cha' sound of his shutter :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I can still understand why some of the participants would like to capture Geoff's work, cuz they're truly inspirational. What I don't understand... is the last part of Geoff's section where the elderly guy keep heckling Geoff during the Q&A session.

And to think that Geoff is nice enuff to answer his "questions" time and again... really wasted the opportunity for others to ask more questions!
    What's that guy heckling about? Using photoshop? Am glad the lady organizer stepped up on stage thanked everyone and ended it there and then. Using photoshop is ok, it is for advertisement, creative photography, not evidence for crime scenes or building defects, or entering competitions. He expected the SQ airplane to actually fly past the two stewardesses or bring a actual jaguar to KL airport for Geoff to take pictures what?

Tristan talk was also informative, need to get up real early to catch sunrise, stay real late to catch sunset, take tripod more than 2m tall to shoot "creamy" waves etc. North Thailand can see sakura, hmm, definitely cheaper than going Japan. and jab the thieves with your tripod! I guess I'll just take a point and shoot with manual controls if I'm really going to "dodgy" places and be happy with simple pictures, prefer to enjoy my trip rather than afraid of being mugged all the time.

It is really a lot of hard work as can be seen from the two of them.

I also cannot help but go "wow!" when the eye of the model was shown on the screen. 5DmkII really rocks!
    Last edited by foxwagon; 22nd March 2009 at 11:16 PM.

dang, tried to sign up a little too late and missed this talk. would have loved to be there. thanks for sharing guys ...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyteocx View Post
    dang, tried to sign up a little too late and missed this talk. would have loved to be there. thanks for sharing guys ...
    U should had assumed that some who registered would not turn up at the last minute.

Then U just turned up at the event door, explain to the reception desk, that if there were empty seats, asked to get in. There were really a few empty seats in the event, I'm sure you could had gotten in without pre-registering. I'm sure the reception or Canon would had been kind enough to let you or anyone else in, it was free anyway so they wont lose any $ if they had let you in.
    Last edited by foxwagon; 22nd March 2009 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post

Tristan talk was also informative, need to get up real early to catch sunrise, stay real late to catch sunset, take tripod more than 2m tall to shoot "creamy" waves etc. North Thailand can see sakura, hmm, definitely cheaper than going Japan. and jab the thieves with your tripod! I guess I'll just take a point and shoot with manual controls if I'm really going to "dodgy" places and be happy with simple pictures, prefer to enjoy my trip rather than afraid of being mugged all the time.

It is really a lot of hard work as can be seen from the two of them.

I also cannot help but go "wow!" when the eye of the model was shown on the screen. 5DmkII really rocks!
    I think you nailed it... the difference between the two of them (Geoff & Triston) and most of us is their sheer hard work and determination in making their shots succeed. We may have the same equipment as them, or perhaps even the same talent, but their tenacity takes their work to the next level. Coming out from the Supersize seminar is both inspiring and humbling!

Actually he was (or rather his father was) already manipulating photos back then, albeit on film. I remember there was a photo of the singapore flag laid on a wooden table that was going into the brigade yearbook and the flag had a golden sheen on it. I asked him how he did it and he told me that his father handpainted it !!

Quote Originally Posted by davsmiths View Post
    oh no wonder. was thinking if i should ask how and what equip did he started out with, because obviously there wasn't any photoshop then and digital cameras.
    but now i guess he had his experiences with MF since young, eventually went into event/fashion photography cause that's where the money is.

really nice fellow to share and provide valuable insights to his work.
    bet canon threw in an entire set of 5D MkII + lens for him and of course, his fee for the workshop. Definitely worth their $$ for marketing. Would love to see more of him, esp when the new 1Ds Mark IV is out.

Any body know what's the background music used during Triston's slide presentation?

Alamak..... went off during the break.... missed Geoff's presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by mm63 View Post
    Actually he was (or rather his father was) already manipulating photos back then, albeit on film. I remember there was a photo of the singapore flag laid on a wooden table that was going into the brigade yearbook and the flag had a golden sheen on it. I asked him how he did it and he told me that his father handpainted it !!
    Wow, thanks for sharing the 'behind the scenes'. seems like creativity runs in the family

Well, we export 'Ah Du', 'Stephanie Sun', let's hope Geoff Ang can make us proud too!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    The shutter speed is at 1/60 sec & ISO 100 on a 5D Mk II & a 50mm f/1.2 L lens if I can still recalled. Of course not forgetting the strobes lah.
    I can see that the layers that made up to the final pics is not that difficult to be done. But the tacky part is the 2nd compressed layer (where all the touch-up of blemishes & imperfections). That's the stuff that's pretty hard to get to. But, it can be done with some practice.
    True, the layer adjustments can be easily done. There are also already a lot of touch-up tips on the internet.

The hard work on the pic was on getting the shot itself: setting up strobes, gels, water drops on car, hair blowing.

Like what he said, get it right the first time around. Get a good shot as a base, then Photoshop to enhance.

What I don't understand... is the last part of Geoff's section where the elderly guy keep heckling Geoff during the Q&A session.
    I didn't understand what this guy wanted from Geof. I think Geof got a bit irritated already since Geof gave his personal view, which the guy couldn't accept.

Oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by casio View Post

I didn't understand what this guy wanted from Geof. I think Geof got a bit irritated already since Geof gave his personal view, which the guy couldn't accept.

Oh well..
    I think there was some confusion here as the guy didnt express himself well. I was in the front and saw his expression. In my own intepretation, he was trying to praise and say that Geoff did the amazing work and being able to absorb and then deliver the work.

Geoff misinterpret and explains how he did it.

The guy then tries to explain himself how he was impress...

Geoff agains, tries to tell how he did it (because of the previous years of work leading to the experience)...

yadda yadda yadda...

female MCee steps in. End of show.

Anyway, great event, great presentation.

I was in the front row - the female mcee did not end the talk, everyone else did - by clapping before even Geoff finished his sentence when the mcee walked on stage! Heh...

Actually, I was very amused when the female model appeared.. I think the dress does not suit her very well...

who thought that the speedlights presentation was not helpful?

me! i guess they probably sponsered this event in some ways but the shots were awfully underexposed.

me! i guess they probably sponsered this event in some ways but the shots were awfully underexposed.
    me...
    The Few...The PROUD...

was quite surprise when people start clapping even when Geoff is talking. its way off the time given. butt is itching to get off i guess.

Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    was quite surprise when people start clapping even when Geoff is talking. its way off the time given. butt is itching to get off i guess.
    Well, since it's free... they can go off at anytime right? Local mentality.

hey i think they looked underexposed because of the projection. don't think the projector was properly set-up.

i thought the light modifiers are worth checking out. they all super collapsible. pricey though.

Default Re: the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by soeypixels View Post
    Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And donít bother concealing your thievery ó celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: ďItís not where you take things from ó itís where you take them to.

Jim Jarmush
    loved this quote esp. when geoff said that you can take bits and pieces of everyone else's work to make your own style

Quote Originally Posted by shunzi View Post
    I believe they were clapping to end the tirade of questions that guy was throwing at Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    I believe they were clapping to end the tirade of questions that guy was throwing at Geoff.
    ya to end the embrassment once and for all
    头可断,血可流,倩女不可不追求 carpe diem,when in doubt, hoot first,apologise later:p GALLERY

Is he a CSer??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast