Thread: Help needed for R.O.M.

Default Help needed for R.O.M.

Hi brothers and sisters,

I have been requested by a friend to do a ROM event. The location should be at some hotel's lounge and poolside. Not sure whether will it be in the afternoon or late evening. I have no prior experience in such important events so I am lost as to what to shoot, lighting concerns, checklists, etc.

My set up current set up is a 400D, EF35L, EF24-70L and a 580EX2. Will that be sufficient? Any other concerns should I take notice of?

Thanks

Default Re: Help needed for R.O.M.

more importantly, i think it's whether u're comfortable shooting with those equipments u have. alot of times, this sort of questions have been asked and i think if anyone would to recommend you anything, do u think u'll be familiar with it?

CF Cards! and Batteries!!

a few things u should take note of.

bring spare batteries.
    more batteries.

get a battery grip.

and more batteries.

and also bring spare memory cards in case.

a 24-70 is pretty good already.
    D200
    [B]Flickr

400D + 24-70L + 580EXII can liao ! go for it !
    I just did my 1st ROM Shoot a couple of weeks ago with the above combo
    Canon 400D|40D & 7D+GRIP|17-40f/4L|24-70f/2.8L|70-200f/2.8L|50 f/1.8|580EX MK2

35L for bokeh details shots. 24-70 for group shots and the rest. The flash is a must. ROM is at most 3 - 4 hrs so just 1 spare battery for the cam and 1 spare set for the flash should be enough. Capture moments and think creatively.

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    35L for bokeh details shots. 24-70 for group shots and the rest. The flash is a must. ROM is at most 3 - 4 hrs so just 1 spare battery for the cam and 1 spare set for the flash should be enough. Capture moments and think creatively.
    depending on how big the group is actually - when i did i required 17mm (used a 17-50) for group shots cos there wasn't space to stand further back with 24-70.
    your set-up is more than enough =) hope this helps
    Gripped 450D | 18-55 IS | 55-250 IS | 50 f1.8 | 580 EX II

Hmm, write a list of the photos you must take. eg. bride's shoes. ring on pillow. bride in gown portrait... etc. That way you won't forget to take something.

Try different perspectives. High up (use a chair?) or kneeling.

I'm juz a newbie, so these are my 2 lousy cents.

Quote Originally Posted by benghui View Post
    depending on how big the group is actually - when i did i required 17mm (used a 17-50) for group shots cos there wasn't space to stand further back with 24-70.
    your set-up is more than enough =) hope this helps
    Yah.. forgot that I am shooting with 2 fullframe cams. In your case maybe the 17-55 IS or the Tamron 17-50 would be more useful than the 24-70L.

Hi CSers,

thanks for the generous advises. The event will be held at some hotel lounge and pool area so what should I look out for? I think I am pretty worried about the checklist to shoot since I have no prior experience to such an event. Don't think it's the usual process where the groom goes to receive the bride from her house but rather a huge horde of people present to see the "man" pronounce the couple "married" sort of situation.

24-70 is not wide enough for group photos
    and if u cannot handle your equipment in any situation my advice is don shoot the event

and if u think u can handle but dono what to shoot - great!
    go to www.wpja.com

read up some of the articles
    click on some winning photographers' entries / link
    go mimic them ..

answer is simple...get a few friends to pool together $$$ and hire a photographer. Practical and makes a nice wedding present.

another way is simply to have another one or two photographer.

i rarely do weddings, very tiring.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Deregistered

make sure you stay healthy and your stomach filled(not too full). shaking hands and hungry stomach distracts your concentrations.

btw make sure your friend knows your standard of photography before hand.

my 1 cent worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post

another way is simply to have another one or two photographer.
    Agree with Reportage,bring along any experince photographer to guide you.
    Additional checklist- Bring along laptop to save you you picts incase your memory card are full.

Smile Re: Help needed for R.O.M.

hey dude...

equipments are important but check with your friend what's the itinerary for the event, from before the procession to after the procession. You need the detail of the processions to anticipate what to shoot, and that will lead you to how to should (leading to what equipment you need). Also, like one of the guys up there mentioned, make plans what you want to photograph so that you know what to look for and shoot what you want for end result.

Yourself, do extra homework to go scout the place prior the day so that you know what to expect otherwise, even if you bring all the equipments needed but your mind is still in mystery/suspense. Any wedding, improvise but also need prior knowledge so that you can anticipate what's gonna happen. Surprises is good because you'll likely catch some good shots but as a photographer, you don't want to be shocked (whether you use a high-end camera or not) because you will likely miss some even better photos.

Hope that helps. Equipment wise, 400D's AF is slightly slower so you need to anticipate more. And you certainly need a equivalent 28mm to do most group portrait as well as table shots. Rent a 17-40mm. Look for a guy up here in Clubsnap call "Paradigm". He specialized in Canon equipment rental. Very trust worthy!

Good luck!

Advises noted...will see how it goes.

With all the advices, I'd like to add the 35mmL f1.4 is more than capable in these conditions. Tried and tested, owned it.