Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How often do you use a tele lens?

Default How often do you use a tele lens?

of 200mm or greater?

I've not touched my 70-300 for a few years already, cause I hardly get to use it (It belongs to my dad, else, I would have sold it)

So for the rest of you who use teles (200mm or more) often, what do you use to shoot with them? Besides wildlife/sports.

Default Re: How often do you use a tele lens?

landscapes

i kid you not.

can be used for street portraits too, but not really my cup of tea.

Great for portraits.... it isolates the BG well. And the tele portion makes you decide which part of the picture you require only...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Once a year. PLAB open house one year, Singapore Air Show the next.
    K-5IIs, DA16-85, DFA50, DFA100, DA*60-250, 540FGZ II, 160FC, 201FG

Streets and landscapes as well.

Ryan

Lol. That's interesting... I only carry a 50mm and a 100mm for streets(aren't anything more than 135/200 too long for streets and portraits? unless you like sniping that much ), and 10-20 for landscapes. This 3 lenses are almost always inside my bag, so if I do require a tele for landscapes that are far away, I'll get my 100mm out. (and crop if required) I can't imagine carrying a tele lens for a trip and using having little opportunities to use them... it just adds to the weight

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Streets and landscapes as well.

Ryan
    I second that. It give me greater compression.

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    Lol. That's interesting... I only carry a 50mm and a 100mm for streets(aren't anything more than 135/200 too long for streets and portraits? unless you like sniping that much ), and 10-20 for landscapes. This 3 lenses are almost always inside my bag, so if I do require a tele for landscapes that are far away, I'll get my 100mm out. (and crop if required) I can't imagine carrying a tele lens for a trip and using having little opportunities to use them... it just adds to the weight
    my tamron 70-300 is pretty light..

anyways, i do not like using anything longer than 50mm for street photography per se.

which is why i said "street portraits".

I was planning for a 70-200mm but hold my horse when I really realise since when did I ever really gonna use tele except for a few events
    EOS 5DMkiii|17-40F4L|24-105f4L|70-200f4L IS|50f1.4|85f1.8|580EX II

I wud not have used my 18-200VR for more than a dozen times since acquiring it. In the same period, I have taken a few hundred shots with a 60mm 2.8 for macro work and a fair number for portraits/general photos using a 85mm 1.8.

I don't use teles much too. Used to own telezoom lenses in the past, but later sold them as I eventually realised that I rarely use them. If I need tele I can make do with moderate ones.

However if you shoot sports, wildlife, and some nature, teles are quite mandatory.

My main workhorse are my tamron 200-500mm lens for birding and my nikkor 70-210mm f4 lens for nature/portraits shoot. Use them every weekends.
    Last edited by Newguy69; 9th March 2009 at 12:38 PM.

Smile Re: How often do you use a tele lens?

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    of 200mm or greater?

I've not touched my 70-300 for a few years already, cause I hardly get to use it (It belongs to my dad, else, I would have sold it)

So for the rest of you who use teles (200mm or more) often, what do you use to shoot with them? Besides wildlife/sports.

seldom

too heavy

Got it, Sold it. Used less than 20 times in 8 months.

Depends on personal preference and genre of shooting.

kidding me! my workhorse is my 500mm lense. Use it 90% of the time. The other lense I use is my Tamron 90mm (9%) for macro. The rest of my lense...(400mm, 70-200f2.8IS, 50mm,VL125f2.5, 17-40f4, 28-105, other I forgot what I have liao) hardly (1%)

Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    kidding me! my workhorse is my 500mm lense. Use it 90% of the time. The other lense I use is my Tamron 90mm (9%) for macro. The rest of my lense...(400mm, 70-200f2.8IS, 50mm,VL125f2.5, 17-40f4, 28-105, other I forgot what I have liao) hardly (1%)
    What do you shoot with your 500mm? Nature? Sports?

Tried it n Sold it away in a few weeks. Cos the price is not proportional to my usage. Tried taking the moon, flowers, street etc. But i prefer uwa n prime with shallow dof to isolate my subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by coinfucious888 View Post
    I wud not have used my 18-200VR for more than a dozen times since acquiring it. In the same period, I have taken a few hundred shots with a 60mm 2.8 for macro work and a fair number for portraits/general photos using a 85mm 1.8.
    If i've the 18-200, I forsee myself bringing that lens only on hiking trips..

Quote Originally Posted by niaomer View Post
    Tried it n Sold it away in a few weeks. Cos the price is not proportional to my usage. Tried taking the moon, flowers, street etc. But i prefer uwa n prime with shallow dof to isolate my subjects.
    Yea precisely...

I seldom go anywhere longer than 135mm, and I prefer primes anyway, so the 70-200 is out for me, or anything longer. YMMV though, because there's different strokes for different folks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast