Thread: What's the difference between a camera bag & a normal bag?

Default What's the difference between a camera bag & a normal bag?

What's the difference between using a dedicated camera bag (e.g. Crumpler, Tamrac, etc) and say using a normal pouch or something to store one's camera?

Default Re: What's the difference between a camera bag & a normal bag?

The most obvious reason is the dedicated, padded compartments designed to accomodate your camera and its accessories

Extra protection as compared to normal bags

protection, securing gears in place and in an orderly manner, abilities to configure the arrangements of the storage, design with storing camera gears etc.

yes, u also can diy the normal bags to hold the gears, lots of examples, some of them can be found here in cs forum.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Thanks.

Was thinking of buying one, but since the intended purpose is for storing a consumer video camera (different shape from DSLR), I'm not sure whether the compartments would be able to accomodate the size.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelongcj View Post
    Thanks.

Was thinking of buying one, but since the intended purpose is for storing a consumer video camera (different shape from DSLR), I'm not sure whether the compartments would be able to accomodate the size.
    There are plenty with adjustable inserts... so you can re-configure it to fit anything you like within
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Padding. The rest are quite the same.

Try to get 1 asap if you're abit clumsy/careless like me. I just dropped my cam again last night & this time nothing was broken cos of the padding.

Some camera bag are ergonomically designed for quick access.

Yes I'm very happy with the Lowepro slingshot 200 I bought! Super nice bag and very well thought out..

some camera bags model have the ability to take tripods too....
    Hope to learn from everyone here....

Thanks.

One of the Lowepro Rectangular shaped ones should fit the bill. Your video cam needs more protection than a pouch could ever give.

Thanks.

Are you referring to PNS camera? or consumer video camera? If so, the video camera should already packaged with a bag with protective padding.

Getting a camera bag gives you section of padding for seperating the lens in compartments, may be different from your requirement.

Pherhaps Crumpler million dollar series is good enough, 4 million and below will provide you sufficient storage.

DSLR - Designing Sensational Life Realities

The camera in question is a consumer video camera. A Canon HG20.

This being a consumer video camera, there are no huge EF lens to carry about. At the moment I have just 2 batteries, 1 tripod QR plate, 1 SD card reader for easier access to comp, and 1 microfiber cloth to carry about. I would want to have spare space to be able to carry the AC-DC adapter as well as for (hopefully) future acquisitions - I would hope to get a microphone (& its related accessories, e.g. shock mount + cable) and a (37mm) macro and tele lens.

As for a tripod (some Manfrotto 055C obtained from somewhere), I don't think its feasible to use the same camera bag to carry it.

Thanks for all the advice.