Thread: Soft Lens?

Default Soft Lens?

Is there anyway, while taking potraits, to soften the lens so that people's pimples (sad to say lah ) will not be that obvious? By having a larger or smaller aperture will be different as well?

I'm using a C2040Z (think it's obvious enuff )

Thanks for any tips!

2 ways: use a softener filter or process the picture in PS. Aperture setting will not help because you want the face to be in focus regardless of the DOF you have chosen.

I am not familiar with C2040. You will probably need an adapter/step up/step down ring to attach a softener filter to your camera. In the analog days, My favourite softener filter is the one by Nikon. The price for a 52mm a few years back is about S$80. If you can get that directly from Japan, it will be around S$50.

The digital way seems like a better way as you have much more flexibility in the amount of softening you would like to have. And the process is reversible, as long as you keep a copy of the original. My favourite PS method is as follows:

Copy the entire image to a second layer.
    Apply the Gaussian Blurr filter to the second layer.
    Ajust the opacity of the blurred layer to about 25~30 %
    Merge the 2 layers.

If you like to see some sample, refer to Siron's Sweet Lady thread in the Portraits and Poses subforum. I have modified a picture for him.

- Roy
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.