Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: wireless Flash triggers

  1. #1

    Default wireless Flash triggers

    Anyone here plays with wireless flash triggers and have recommendations?


    I've seen phottix PT04s only so far on the budget transmitter/receiver...
    (forget abt high ends ones which is way off my budget)
    any phottix users to comment on it upon lifespans/receiver strengths/ build quality etc?

  2. #2

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Like playing Russian Roulette ...

  3. #3

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    So far so good for mine. (6mths, usage approx 20-40 shots per mth)
    Get from a seller that has good feedback. (at least they will recognize that the QC for the thing is not good and do a replacement).
    I got mine from HKsupplies on Ebay. One receiver did not work too well, I emailed them after 3-4 mts (did not 2 flashes to try out before), and they were still willing to send a replacement.
    Think the outer seller on ebay that I read on other forums that do replacements is gadget infinity. No idea about the rest. You'd probably have to research other sellers.

    BTW, you don't have a choice if you want them cheap and 2RX+1Tx cost approx 8 trips to Macdonals only

    Some more stuff I've learned about these triggers:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...97#post4842597

  4. #4

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    So far so good for mine. (6mths, usage approx 20-40 shots per mth)
    Get from a seller that has good feedback. (at least they will recognize that the QC for the thing is not good and do a replacement).
    I got mine from HKsupplies on Ebay. One receiver did not work too well, I emailed them after 3-4 mts (did not 2 flashes to try out before), and they were still willing to send a replacement.
    Think the outer seller on ebay that I read on other forums that do replacements is gadget infinity. No idea about the rest. You'd probably have to research other sellers.

    BTW, you don't have a choice if you want them cheap and 2RX+1Tx cost approx 8 trips to Macdonals only

    Some more stuff I've learned about these triggers:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...97#post4842597
    Ooo thanks for the info bro.....din notice about this Thread.

  5. #5
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,422

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflyblack View Post
    Ooo thanks for the info bro.....din notice about this Thread.
    Just use your thread title as key words for the search functions.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    2,572

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Too bad... PocketWizards are banned in SG.

    So far, that is the most effective one other than IR triggers...

  7. #7

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Alien bees Cybersync TX/RX are good alternative to PWs. Cheaper and work just as well.. though you gotta get separate triggers and receivers unlike PWs.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Do a search on Elinchrom Skyports.

  9. #9

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    Too bad... PocketWizards are banned in SG.

    So far, that is the most effective one other than IR triggers...
    Banned due to the bandwidth licensing problems?

  10. #10

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by agape01 View Post
    Too bad... PocketWizards are banned in SG.

    So far, that is the most effective one other than IR triggers...
    They are banned or they are not approved?



    .

  11. #11

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    I'm not sure if the Cactus brand of triggers are popular in singapore, but while there were some glitches with the V2s model, they remain very popular among budget strobists around the world. I'm looking to get the new Cactus V4 triggers when they start shipping on March 16th, read some reviews on pre-production sets and all worked very well... *fingers crossed*

  12. #12

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    seen some reviews on youtube about cactus.......10shots...3 out of em are miss-fired....that goes... the cheap prices.

  13. #13
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Orient Photo is selling PWs
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  14. #14

    Smile Re: wireless Flash triggers

    are they export only?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Orient Photo is selling PWs

  15. #15
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003 View Post
    are they export only?
    Not sure... I didn't ask. Went in there to get some stuff and saw them in the cabinets...
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  16. #16

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Not sure... I didn't ask. Went in there to get some stuff and saw them in the cabinets...
    300 SGD a pop the last time i asked, which was last year.

  17. #17

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflyblack View Post
    seen some reviews on youtube about cactus.......10shots...3 out of em are miss-fired....that goes... the cheap prices.
    I just received my set of Cactus V4 triggers, work perfectly with my canon 430EXII and Vivitar 285 HV flashes =D

  18. #18

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    I'm using 2 Phottix receivers. So far they've been working fine indoors, but then again I've not tried them outdoors at a longer distance from the transmitter. My only complaint is the build quality - it's difficult to prise open the battery compartment for the receivers, but you do get what you pay for.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    316

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Orient Photo is selling PWs
    And also Cathay Photo, if I am not wrong.

    You must show them your foreign passport WITHOUT any long term visa (Work permit / EP / PR). This is to make sure that they can give proof that they sell it for export.
    Achetez ce que vous souhaitez, pas ce que vous voulez...

  20. #20
    Senior Member denniskee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    5,468

    Default Re: wireless Flash triggers

    me and 2 other guys tried out triggers PT-04II (there are some similar models in the market) from ShutterCentral.

    these are our findings :

    1) we were shooting around midnight, open space infront of the UOB building, between the stretch of big fat bird and the penny black pubs, it is about 8-10m that we get reliable trigger.

    2) the test trigger button on the transmitter seems to give slightly better distant of about 12-15m.

    3) it will not work if the camera is in live view mode (at least on the 40d we tested it on).

    4) i have 2 sets of pt-04m from targotec that has stop working after using it less time 3-4 times. till date i cant determine if the receivers are still working, but the 2 transmitter confirm is kaput cause battery get hot without even firing.

    5) the 2 transmitters from ShutterCentral can not trigger the 2 receivers from targotec.
    Last edited by denniskee; 7th April 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •