Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Unsharp Mask?

  1. #1

    Default Unsharp Mask?

    Hihi,
    Just wondering whether this is a need to unsharp mask everytime we resize the photos?
    Also, are we able to do a batch resize for all the photos first, saved it then open the photo editing software to do Unsharp Mask? Cos I read from somewhere unsharp mask can only be done before the photos are saved...

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    1. All this has been asked before. Please try a search.
    2. If you save the photo and *then* do unsharp mask, of course you must save again. It's like asking "If I want to add a paragraph to an essay after I've saved it, do i need to save again afterwards?"
    3. Just add the unsharp mask to the batch process after the resize event.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    depends on the effect you want to achieve. unsharp mask doesnt magically make a blurred image tack sharp.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    Not all images require unsharp mask, therefore no need to do in batch process. However you may need to do unsharp mask after resizing an image, depending on image condition.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon20 View Post
    Hihi,
    Just wondering whether this is a need to unsharp mask everytime we resize the photos?
    Also, are we able to do a batch resize for all the photos first, saved it then open the photo editing software to do Unsharp Mask? Cos I read from somewhere unsharp mask can only be done before the photos are saved...

    Thanks.
    Its not too clear what you mean by "unsharp mask can only be done before the photos are saved.". Different people have different workflow, It need not be done only before saving, but for my usual workflow, unsharp mask is applied as the last step before saving.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    Its not too clear what you mean by "unsharp mask can only be done before the photos are saved.". Different people have different workflow, It need not be done only before saving, but for my usual workflow, unsharp mask is applied as the last step before saving.
    I do the same too. I leave the sharpening to the last after I've made adjustments.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    1. All this has been asked before. Please try a search.
    2. If you save the photo and *then* do unsharp mask, of course you must save again. It's like asking "If I want to add a paragraph to an essay after I've saved it, do i need to save again afterwards?"
    3. Just add the unsharp mask to the batch process after the resize event.
    Of cos I know after I do unsharp mask I must save it again. I was asking if I save it in batch resize program which doesn't come with unsharp mask application, can I save the photos first in batch resize program & go to my photo editor (GIMP) to do unsharp mask then save it? Not everyone use the same high tech program, u see.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon20 View Post
    Of cos I know after I do unsharp mask I must save it again. I was asking if I save it in batch resize program which doesn't come with unsharp mask application, can I save the photos first in batch resize program & go to my photo editor (GIMP) to do unsharp mask then save it? Not everyone use the same high tech program, u see.
    Should be able to, and I'd recommend it. The resizing process tends to be lossy, and when you're uploading a small size to display here, it helps a lot to sharpen after resizing.
    Alpha

  9. #9

    Default Re: Unsharp Mask?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Should be able to, and I'd recommend it. The resizing process tends to be lossy, and when you're uploading a small size to display here, it helps a lot to sharpen after resizing.
    Oic. Thanks for your advice.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •