Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to take pict in night.

Default How to take pict in night.

Hai everyone,nid help over here.Few qn and hope don't mind. I would like to start taking night shot. I'm using Canon EOS 400D with sigma 18-200 1:3.5-6.3.

Qn 1: Should i remove the UV filter?
    2:How abt the mode n setting:night or manual?
    3:How to take a pict of a car/s with light trailing?

Hopefully someone can help me.Thanks in advance.

;

Default Re: How to take pict in night.

y don u try them out 1st? wont it be more fun?
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

- Tripod (For low shutter speed)
    - Steady base (floor, on dustbin, scotch tape beside lamp post) (For low shutter speed)
    - Low Shutter speed
    - High ISO (results in noise)
    - Wide aperture (f3.5 at the wide side)
    - Move subject to better lighting area
    - Move yourself to better lighting area
    - Flash

1) Removing UV filter wont help much I believe ...
    2) I always shoot in either Aperture Priority or Manual, the rest are ... very weird.
    3) Long shutter speed, stable base (else the lines become squiggly)

1. Up to you, some finds without it to be sharper
    2. if ur unsure then night. If you've a setting in mind then manual, read bout nightshot settings.
    3. Car trailing = slow shutter, front or rear curtain sync can also have that effect (need to experiment to know) but dont try it on moving cars!! U might also be interested in panning shots.

Have you tried a search? Checked the basics of night photography online? Tried reading any basic photography tutorials?

Have you taken a look at the Night Photography forum category and read the helpful stickies there? No? Then start there first.
    Alpha

Thanks everybody for the fast reply.Hmmm,should start reading first.

Quote Originally Posted by abs3056 View Post
    Qn 1: Should i remove the UV filter?
    Search for "filter flare" and you will see what your 'protective filter' can cause.

Just curious do u pop up the flash when u shoot night photography? I notice if I shoot at night in indoors, if I don't pop up the flash, the photos dun turn up sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by chameleon20 View Post
    Just curious do u pop up the flash when u shoot night photography? I notice if I shoot at night in indoors, if I don't pop up the flash, the photos dun turn up sharp.
    You have to first understand aperture, shutter speed and iso, and their relation to each other.

Once you understand that, you will know the answer to shooting indoors in low light.

I suspect your definition of "not sharp" is actually blur due to too slow a shutter speed. Again, understanding iso, shutter speed and aperture will help you solve that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by dewei85 View Post
    You have to first understand aperture, shutter speed and iso, and their relation to each other.

Once you understand that, you will know the answer to shooting indoors in low light.

I suspect your definition of "not sharp" is actually blur due to too slow a shutter speed. Again, understanding iso, shutter speed and aperture will help you solve that problem.

I have read the stickies related to aperture, shutter speed & ISO but I still don't get it...

I have read the stickies related to aperture, shutter speed & ISO but I still don't get it...
    Then you may not be ready for a DSLR, or trying such things as night photography.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Then you may not be ready for a DSLR, or trying such things as night photography.
    What's the purpose of a photography forum if we can't ask questions when we encounter difficulties?!?

Sometimes the advice that's provided in other threads might not be 100% relevant or for newbies to understand at a glance so we need to ask questions and hope some patient & helpful souls who can provide advice & explanation in a simpler & direct way.

You can save your replies for YOURSELF cos I don't see them useful in anyway to newbies & btw this is a subthread for NEWBIES. You can just shut up since ur advice is not relevant to anyone here.

ahaha.. Hmm.. like what the guys all said, try shooting the pictures on your own, use from low ISO to high ISO, low shutter speed to high shutter speed and all.. Try shooting the pictures by yourself and you will figure out how to shoot night photography well.. Basically, photography is all about learning everything..
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

Quote Originally Posted by seiji87 View Post
    ahaha.. Hmm.. like what the guys all said, try shooting the pictures on your own, use from low ISO to high ISO, low shutter speed to high shutter speed and all.. Try shooting the pictures by yourself and you will figure out how to shoot night photography well.. Basically, photography is all about learning everything..
    Thanks for your advice as this is much useful than some. Will try out different modes to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Rashkae bro, relax man!! Since we have a newbie here, we should all try our best to help him!! coz night photography can be quite tricky sometimes.. And photography is all about learning, even we all need to revise once in a while to upgrade our skills..
    EOS 30D+50mm MKII+18-55mm IS.. What I use do not define me.. Its the photos that I take that will..

Thanks for your advice as this is much useful than some. Will try out different modes to experiment.
    Oh? That was not covered in the basics? I believe it is.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by seiji87 View Post
    Rashkae bro, relax man!! Since we have a newbie here, we should all try our best to help him!! coz night photography can be quite tricky sometimes.. And photography is all about learning, even we all need to revise once in a while to upgrade our skills..
    Oh, I agree! But there are some things that you need to be able to understand if you want to know how to get a type of shot.

Exposure is one of the most fundamental things to learn, and the newbies guide explains it in a very good way.
    Alpha

join us for shoot and we guide u lor..

yea, go bro! go try out!! coz everyone has a different way of shooting night photography.. you will need to find your own style and way.. Coz i might say, i use high ISO and slow shutter speed, but other people might use other ways, Only advice is to use all your settings, ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed and all.. Test it out and understand.. Okay?? then after you figured it out, then maybe you can ask more on the topic!!

Quote Originally Posted by jlkk76 View Post
    join us for shoot and we guide u lor..
    Haha sure when my work is not loaded. Can pm me when u all are arranging a shoot in future =)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast