Thread: Vibrant Singapore

Default Vibrant Singapore

Hello,
    This photo was taken on a sunny thursday afternoon, though the whole CBD area was a bit hazy at that point of time. This is my 1st attempt in doing a HDR photo, i wanted to show through this photo, a vibrant and prosperous Singapore.

Camera used : Nikon D90
    ISO: 200
    EV: +2/0/-2

Started with Photomatix to generate HDR then edited the saturation more in Photoshop.

I would like to receive comments on the following aspects:
    1) Composition
    2) Post Production
    Most importantly, i would like to know whether do you like the photo?

Any other comments/criticisms are gladly welcomed..I am still a amateur photographer and wish to improve my skills and techniques in digital photography.

Hope to learn more from all of you here.

Thanks.

Default Re: Vibrant Singapore

seriously. i think there isnt egh contrast on that day to simulate HDR effects. either that 3 shots is insufficient. i could probably take this with just 1 shot and tweak up the saturation of the sky to look like urs

My aim whenever shooting HDR is to achieve a natural as possible look, assimilating what the eye sees. I recently shot this area, but from further away. Your version has a bit of extended dynamic range, but not a lot. IMHO, aim for natural before going for exaggerated stuff. If not, you're bound to make it look overdone, like it is here. It really looks oversaturated; the blues look way too unnaturally blue.

Here's my version of the scene. Let me know if you want it taken down. By the way, this was shot with 7 exposures, each a stop apart.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    seriously. i think there isnt egh contrast on that day to simulate HDR effects. either that 3 shots is insufficient. i could probably take this with just 1 shot and tweak up the saturation of the sky to look like urs
    ok..noted...thanks for the comments..

Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    My aim whenever shooting HDR is to achieve a natural as possible look, assimilating what the eye sees. I recently shot this area, but from further away. Your version has a bit of extended dynamic range, but not a lot. IMHO, aim for natural before going for exaggerated stuff. If not, you're bound to make it look overdone, like it is here. It really looks oversaturated; the blues look way too unnaturally blue.

Here's my version of the scene. Let me know if you want it taken down. By the way, this was shot with 7 exposures, each a stop apart.

hi, would like to ask..then would it be better if i were to change the exp of the 3 shots to make it into like 5 or 7 shots...then i use them all to generate HDR...thanks for the comments...i will work harder next tym...

just doesn't look natural in terms of color reproduction... composition wise, it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by njmingz View Post

I would like to receive comments on the following aspects:
    1) Composition
    2) Post Production
    Most importantly, i would like to know whether do you like the photo?

Any other comments/criticisms are gladly welcomed..I am still a amateur photographer and wish to improve my skills and techniques in digital photography.

Hope to learn more from all of you here.

Thanks.
    1) pretty standard scene, though i would prefer more space, the framing here is a wee bit tight.

2) correct the verticals. go easier on the hdr processing; if you look how your light is falling, i can name a number of things wrong with how the light is. this is because hdr when overaggressively processed ends up with stray light. why are the top of towers suddenly darker?

Quote Originally Posted by iunspoken View Post
    just doesn't look natural in terms of color reproduction... composition wise, it's fine.
    noted..thx..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    1) pretty standard scene, though i would prefer more space, the framing here is a wee bit tight.

2) correct the verticals. go easier on the hdr processing; if you look how your light is falling, i can name a number of things wrong with how the light is. this is because hdr when overaggressively processed ends up with stray light. why are the top of towers suddenly darker?
    ok..thx...btw...i had noticed the darker portion on the top of the buildings too...but cant seem to make it brighter without making it look more unnatural...will work on pp more...thanks..