Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to clean the cmos sensor when a blower doesnt work?

Default how to clean the cmos sensor when a blower doesnt work?

does anyone know how to clean the cmos sensor? i tried using a blower but there are still some stubborn spots... want to know if there is any DIY way... sending is the last option.

thanks in advance

Default Re: how to clean the cmos sensor when a blower doesnt work?

use the pen lens cleaner.. but be sure its a new one.

Use the search function please. Plenty of information available here.

Quote Originally Posted by l0ngba View Post
    i pity any fellow who took ur advice
    do u know those lens pen have carbon coating on it?
    ur lens is probably >10 times harder than the coating on the sensor...
    in fact coating on lens are found behind the front element

even fluid on those soft cloth proves to be abrasive, not to mention dry carbon.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Huh?

Where the h*** did you get this very wrong information?

Lens pen can be used only to clean lens surface not sensor surface

No! No! No!

please be careful with what you suggest to use a lens pen to clean sensor. even you have done that and have good results, but does not mean other people will.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

I would send it to the service center to clean it. Hassle-free, trouble-free and confirm safe. CSC only charges about $21. I'd rather pay 21 bucks than to risk having the whole camera unusable but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by wtm78 View Post
    does anyone know how to clean the cmos sensor? i tried using a blower but there are still some stubborn spots... want to know if there is any DIY way... sending is the last option.

thanks in advance
    best is send to service center for risk free clearing, however if you insist of DIY, DSLR sensor cleaning tutorial found in Youtube
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    No! No! No!

please be careful with what you suggest to use a lens pen to clean sensor. even you have done that and have good results, but does not mean other people will.
    there are many disadvantages with using lens pen (or sensorklear)

1) does not help with welded dust

2) if you have plausible abrasive dust on top of your sensor that wasn't removed by alternative methods, you are going to rub it happily against it

3) that said, while the hot pass filter is actually not as wimpy as most people think

Quote Originally Posted by wtm78 View Post

thanks in advance
    please google

"sensor dust"

there are many methods out there; so far the one that is most popular among diy sensor cleaners involves

1) eclipse or e2 solution (check photogrpahic solutions website which one fits your camera, please make sure you do)

2) sensor swabs

3) or pec pads to replace the sensor swab paper

all from photographic solutions, easily available at major camera shops

it is best that you get someone with the know how to demonstrate to you how to do it, probably with his own camera, and then you do it. if you have no confidence, then do not do it, it is not a task that everyone can feel confident with. and of course, if anything happens, remember, it is due to your own incompetence.

that said, i have cleaned sensors myself since i started the hobby, and nothing has ever happened.

Some interesting reading:

http://www.sensorcleaning.com/what.php Interestinbgly, METHANOL-based products (Eclipse) is NOT recommended.

This person has had claimed long-term usage of the lenspen to clean the high-pass filter: http://www.sensorklearreview.blogspot.com/

According to this site, Canon has been seen to use the Lenspen to clean high-pass filters: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

OK, now I'm really confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Some interesting reading:

http://www.sensorcleaning.com/what.php Interestinbgly, METHANOL-based products (Eclipse) is NOT recommended.

This person has had claimed long-term usage of the lenspen to clean the high-pass filter: http://www.sensorklearreview.blogspot.com/

According to this site, Canon has been seen to use the Lenspen to clean high-pass filters: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

OK, now I'm really confused!
    i have had no problems so far with eclipse or e2,

there is actually documentation of cases where some people put too much solution on the sensor swab and the solution ends up seeping UNDERNEATH the filter, that is really super win.

anyways, i have had the misfortune of trying out the speckgrabber listed on the link before, it is horrible and does more harm than good, very exasperating to use also.

and yes, i think i've seen that site that claims that lenspen can be used to clean sensors, i have also tried it before and nothing went wrong, but i won't use the method more than thrice. i'm sure those with experience with lenspens will tell you that they become increasingly effective - i suppose the fact that you are after all, using a surface that you cannot clean to rub the same thing.. so many things can happen.

someone once told me about a guy (i hope he isn't around) who used a screwdriver with a pec pad wrapped around it to clean his sensor. the end result was a scratched filter.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i have had no problems so far with eclipse or e2,

there is actually documentation of cases where some people put too much solution on the sensor swab and the solution ends up seeping UNDERNEATH the filter, that is really super win.

anyways, i have had the misfortune of trying out the speckgrabber listed on the link before, it is horrible and does more harm than good, very exasperating to use also.

and yes, i think i've seen that site that claims that lenspen can be used to clean sensors, i have also tried it before and nothing went wrong, but i won't use the method more than thrice. i'm sure those with experience with lenspens will tell you that they become increasingly effective - i suppose the fact that you are after all, using a surface that you cannot clean to rub the same thing.. so many things can happen.

someone once told me about a guy (i hope he isn't around) who used a screwdriver with a pec pad wrapped around it to clean his sensor. the end result was a scratched filter.
    Ultimate WINZ! Should try a penknife to scrape off those super stubborn wleded spots!

Oh, speaking of Eclipse, I was told the same thing, and advised to put on very little on the pecpad, or wait a few seconds before swabbing.

What did you mean by (lenspen) "increasingly effective"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Ultimate WINZ! Should try a penknife to scrape off those super stubborn wleded spots!

Oh, speaking of Eclipse, I was told the same thing, and advised to put on very little on the pecpad, or wait a few seconds before swabbing.

What did you mean by (lenspen) "increasingly effective"?
    sorry, typo.

increasingly ineffective. and if you touch the lenspen with your finger, can throw the whole thing away, the more you clean lens with lenspen after that, the more you want to cry, it just spreads oil stains or what all over the lens. imagine what that would do to your sensor. whereas, pecpads and sensor swabs all stand alone.

you don't do your own cleaning yet?

yeah, too little is better than too much.. you shouldn't have the sensor swab ending up drippy, that is definitely too much, just two or three drops would suffice actually

there used to be a thread complete with pictures on how to put pec pad on sensor swab, but nothing about how to actually use the sensor swab (though it is quite intuitive and there are many videos on the net i think).. not sure if it is around since we are discussing this.

ah yes it is:

link

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sorry, typo.

increasingly ineffective. and if you touch the lenspen with your finger, can throw the whole thing away, the more you clean lens with lenspen after that, the more you want to cry, it just spreads oil stains or what all over the lens. imagine what that would do to your sensor. whereas, pecpads and sensor swabs all stand alone.

you don't do your own cleaning yet?

yeah, too little is better than too much.. you shouldn't have the sensor swab ending up drippy, that is definitely too much, just two or three drops would suffice actually

there used to be a thread complete with pictures on how to put pec pad on sensor swab, but nothing about how to actually use the sensor swab (though it is quite intuitive and there are many videos on the net i think).. not sure if it is around since we are discussing this.

ah yes it is:

link
    I gues if one really wants to use a lenspen, should have one exclusively just to clean the HP filter, and use it only for so many times before relagating it to other uses.

And pass over very lightly, AFTER judicious blowing! I prefer upside down blowing.

Hahaha, 'IN-effective'. You had me a bit perplexed.

Been doing my own cleaning for quite some time, but like any newb, spent too long wallowing in unfounded fear of doing untold horrors to my sensor and got by quite well till the HP filter just got too dirty.

It's kind like changing a focusing screen in a body without that changeability feature; seems scary before, slow the first few times, and becomes a breeze after more practice.

My best cleaner is the vacuum cleaner. Yes, myself using it.
    I simply bring the vacuum tubing near to the camera or lens and not a speck of dust left.

If you are worried about the camera mirror vacuuming out, or some screws coming out then forget it.
    Cleanse your thoughts, not by the foods you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post
    I simply bring the vacuum tubing near to the camera or lens and not a speck of dust left.

If you are worried about the camera mirror vacuuming out, or some screws coming out then forget it.
    are you sure? how close is your vacuum and the camera? the home vacuum or the portable car one? your camera face up or down?

Quote Originally Posted by dominator View Post

hrm, does it work for welded dust?

Service centre's your best bet, simple as that.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Tried using a micro fiber cloth and the blower... Didn't work for me.
    So I used an airbrush, lens paper and some solution that came with my dry cabinet... But thats because i took apart my d70 to convert to ir...
    Works just fine for me And its not exactly a ccd that your cleaning. Its just a filter. The real sensor is below it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast