Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

  1. #21
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Thank you is 'gamsa hamnida'.
    Thank you.. must be poor hearing on my on part.

    Just to add, based on my experience,
    Koreans are very hospitable. One shop even gives ginsheng drink to customers (even before you buy)
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  2. #22

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    hi guys..

    Just need some suggestions on what to do in Seoul if i go there for 2 days over the weekends. prob go sometime this month or next.

    Also, is Seoul a good place to buy camera/lenses now since the won is about 1k/1SGD now.

    TIA!
    KRW/SGD may be good for SGD now but if the product is not made in Korea, chances are it is not going to be cheap just because of the exchange rate. They are very smart, eg. in LV shop, they use USD for the items. So no cheap shopping. Sigh.

    But korean food, korean facial products, korean ginseng..... Cheaper with the stronger SGD! Anyway, good luck for your camera/lens shopping!
    D3 D800 RX-1 X100 E-M5 My flickr

  3. #23

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Hi ,
    You can try buying camera plates :Lplates(RRS style) korea made , Brand Mestos: only half the prices of rrs. Lpates for D300 listed 88.00us, d300with grid 165.00 listed. can get cheaper prices from camera shopes if they carry them.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Pasir Ris, Singapore
    Posts
    14,002

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Thank you.. must be poor hearing on my on part.

    Just to add, based on my experience,
    Koreans are very hospitable. One shop even gives ginsheng drink to customers (even before you buy)
    I've not seen any camera shops yet over there but they are indeed very hospitable. Though language barrier is also indeed a problem, but learning simple phrases can help some time.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by engr View Post
    Naedaemum is yr best bet. The row of shops are very near the burnt down gate. Not sure how to orientate you but if you alight at Subway station of City Hall and get out at Seoul Plaza Hotel, you should walk AWAY from the City Squ along the st towards Naedaemum. City Squ has a skating ring there now.

    Anyway, the prices 2 weeks back is similar to SG. Only slightly cheaper for the 70-200mm F2.6 IS. Oh, but I m refering to pre price hike prices! Unless u pay cash, they also wack 3% on top.

    N yes, Dongdaemum does not sell cameras.
    ic... so the price isnt that good? Prob HK better then? Thanks for the info!

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Thank you: kam sia hap nida

    Thank you is 'gamsa hamnida'.


    hahaha... sounds like hokkien sia... Kam sia.. i think snoweagle is more accurate hor?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Umeiko View Post
    KRW/SGD may be good for SGD now but if the product is not made in Korea, chances are it is not going to be cheap just because of the exchange rate. They are very smart, eg. in LV shop, they use USD for the items. So no cheap shopping. Sigh.

    But korean food, korean facial products, korean ginseng..... Cheaper with the stronger SGD! Anyway, good luck for your camera/lens shopping!
    Oic... so they take USD for most camera items? i thot they accept only won.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by derrickbettas View Post
    Hi ,
    You can try buying camera plates :Lplates(RRS style) korea made , Brand Mestos: only half the prices of rrs. Lpates for D300 listed 88.00us, d300with grid 165.00 listed. can get cheaper prices from camera shopes if they carry them.
    by plates you mean the tripod plates?

  9. #29

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis32 View Post
    Oic... so they take USD for most camera items? i thot they accept only won.
    I was referring to shopping experience in LV (Louis Vuitton) in Seoul. I was hoping that with the weakened krw, I can get bargain there. But the shop is smart to price them in USD, so they will not be affected by the weakened krw. So unless it's something made in Korea, there's good chance they will need to price them to match their imported goods cost.

    Anyway, how's the camera bargain?
    D3 D800 RX-1 X100 E-M5 My flickr

  10. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Minor correction/addition to previous posts.

    Thank you is kamsha mniida.
    To say "I can't speak the Korean language" is: Hangul Mal mullayo.

    Personally though I wouldn recommend not to utter a single word in Korean or Japanese when you are in those respective countries. This is my personal experience and instead of building bridges with local words, try bargaining in English. Brandishing some item related what you are planning to buy (if that's some expensive item like camera, etc...) might help to convince the seller that you are genuinely interested and not just another curious tourist passing by. After finishing the deal and you're satisfied then it's a good idea to say kamsaha mniida or kumas mida, if you wish to be more polite. Be careful when you are in Yongsan or Technomart because they're only slightly less meaner than some of the gentleman we come across in SLS. Needless to say, it's not a good idea to rush into a deal that looks like a bargain at the outset because it's very popular for stripped down versions or additional +++.

    All the best!
    Last edited by mnmohamed; 3rd May 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Typo

  11. #31

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by mnmohamed View Post
    Minor correction/addition to previous posts.

    Thank you is kamsha mniida.
    To say "I can't speak the Korean language" is: Hangul Mal mullayo.

    Personally though I wouldn recommend not to utter a single word in Korean or Japanese when you are in those respective countries. This is my personal experience and instead of building bridges with local words, try bargaining in English.
    Hi, wonder why it's better to bargain in English? Care to share?
    Maybe because can get cheaper?
    Or perhaps they will start bombing you in Korean or Japanese

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by gnohz View Post
    Hi, wonder why it's better to bargain in English? Care to share?
    Maybe because can get cheaper?
    Or perhaps they will start bombing you in Korean or Japanese
    Dong/Nam-daemun sellers can speak understandable English because of Korea's large expatriate market and steady flow of foreigners (Same goes for Japan). Bargaining in English can be bit of a challenge for most of the sellers and if they find the price offered to them is reasonable, they'll usually agree. Trying to greet them in Korean is a commonplace trick and when used, they'll talk to you more and more in Korean (or Japanese) regardless of the other person understands or not.

    It's just personal experience that when I frustrate them out with English, they have agreed more than talking to them in Korean - their comfort zone. YMMV, but no harm in trying this because once the deal is struck, you can always say thanks in Korean.

  13. #33
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    Another simple words:
    Thank you: kam sia hap nida

    LOL they use 'Kam Sia' in Korea too ??

    Actually the international airport has great deals too ..... duty free..... my nephew just bought a Panasonic LX3 for about SGD570 equivalent with international warranty +1 4G card

    Go here to get their Korea Tourism 5-10% discount cupon that can be used in Airport duty-free shops.... dont know if it applies for camera equiptment but no harm trying
    http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/...EN_7_1_1_1.jsp
    Last edited by ed9119; 4th May 2009 at 05:38 PM.

  14. #34
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,943
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    AND if you are a blur sotong..... you can apply for a Goodwill Guide to show you around..... its free volunteer service so please pay for his/her food and other site fees and transport costs

    http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/...EN_2_7_3_1.jsp

  15. #35

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by mnmohamed View Post
    Dong/Nam-daemun sellers can speak understandable English because of Korea's large expatriate market and steady flow of foreigners (Same goes for Japan). Bargaining in English can be bit of a challenge for most of the sellers and if they find the price offered to them is reasonable, they'll usually agree. Trying to greet them in Korean is a commonplace trick and when used, they'll talk to you more and more in Korean (or Japanese) regardless of the other person understands or not.

    It's just personal experience that when I frustrate them out with English, they have agreed more than talking to them in Korean - their comfort zone. YMMV, but no harm in trying this because once the deal is struck, you can always say thanks in Korean.
    I see. No harm trying Thanks for the tip.
    Basically, any language that's not their comfort zone but can be understood should be ok Should be able to keep them on their toes that way

    Apart from English, they speak Japanese too? Heard that Korean is very similar to Japanese, so perhaps they're more fluent in it?
    Last edited by gnohz; 4th May 2009 at 06:23 PM.

  16. #36

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    YOu need to understand "calculator" language

  17. #37
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    from what i hear from my tour guide
    the koreans do not like the japanese

  18. #38

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    from what i hear from my tour guide
    the koreans do not like the japanese
    Hmm i guess so. It has always been the case. But it seems to be changing with the younger generation. The older generation still has anti-Japanese sentiments i think.

  19. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    from what i hear from my tour guide
    the koreans do not like the japanese
    It's mostly a matter of personal preference. As mentioned after, this bias is only with senior generation and especially the Korean sellers look beyond this because Korea sees lot of Japs coming there for shopping.

    All the best with your shopping!

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    3,717

    Default Re: Seoul - Travelling and maybe camera shopping

    Quote Originally Posted by Umeiko View Post
    I was referring to shopping experience in LV (Louis Vuitton) in Seoul. I was hoping that with the weakened krw, I can get bargain there. But the shop is smart to price them in USD, so they will not be affected by the weakened krw. So unless it's something made in Korea, there's good chance they will need to price them to match their imported goods cost.

    Anyway, how's the camera bargain?
    Never make the trip leh. last min decided not to stopover in Seoul since the connection timing is really bad.. maybe in June/July will try it to go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •