Thread: so what is true?

Default so what is true?

not intending to start a war/flame here,

but terribly confused now which of these produce cleaner shots at high iso? at 100% CROP.

Some forums say this, some forums say that....and i can't get either to test out......

canon 5Dmk2 or Nikon D700.

this may help me makeup my mind faster coming June....

Default Re: so what is true?

According to dpreview they're the same. I tend to trust dpreview much more than the other sites.

both have its pros and cons.

I dun think there is an absolute A-is-better-than-B answer.

I believe it is not your first time buying equipment. So, what's your current investment? If you already have lens and accessories of a particular brand, get the body of that brand rather than change the entire setup.

Oh a senior member is asking this... must be really a tough questions... Anyway, I thrust DPreview as well....

Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    Oh a senior member is asking this... must be really a tough questions... Anyway, I thrust DPreview as well....
    Rather fleeting statement.

Of course it is tough to make a decision like that. Imagine: your current setup is say worth close to 15k with the lenses and body of a particular make. You come across another camera of a different make with somewhat better specs or specs that are comparable on certain areas. You are tempted. But think. Your current set up set you back 15k. To switch system, it may just set you back another 15k as well. Even if you sell off your current setup to offset the cost of the new system, can the new system perform up to mark of your previous one? And having to get a new set of lenses, second hand or not to have the same setup as your old system what is the amount of cash you have to fork out?

I concur with Jill. If you have a current setup, unless the push is so overwhelming to convert to a new setup, then by all means go for it. There are times that I want to switch camp from White to Black. But at the end of it, I stuck to White because why fix it when it is not broken. Having to convert to a new setup requires time, patience, adjustment and money. Sometimes, trusting reviews is one thing. There is no perfect camera. It is only perfect when you deem it to be and what it produces is according to your expectations both of the equipment and yourself.

Honestly? If on a feature set basis you're undecided, and you *cannot* even test them... DON'T BUY!

Testing the cameras is the most important step you really really have to take.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by plsoong View Post

but terribly confused now which of these produce cleaner shots at high iso? at 100% CROP.

Some forums say this, some forums say that....and i can't get either to test out......

Actually it's not very difficult choice.... if you are on Canon, then it's 5Dmk2....if you are on Nikon then D700....if you are neutral....then toast a coin...imo their different is really thin....not worth to headache so much

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Actually it's not very difficult choice.... if you are on Canon, then it's 5Dmk2....if you are on Nikon then D700....if you are neutral....then toast a coin...imo their different is really thin....not worth to headache so much
    Or get a sony! Hahahah!
    Alpha

Just remind u that "cleaner shot" does not equal to noise-free, if u are perfectionist then u will still be disappointed by the high ISO cleaner shot from both cameras.

just trust your own eyes when u go to the shop and test the body...why be too bothered by what others say?

Get any model and there's neat image to produce the wonderfully clean stuff you've ever imagine.

Thanx for all the responses.

Well, to me, it doesn't matter if i'm a senior member or not... that is irrelevant. I would like to find out more from everybody

Fortunately/unfortunately, i do not have much equipment from nikon besides the D70, 3 lenses (18-70kit, 50mm, 105mm) and sb800 and the total value is definitely less than 5K! so its not such a pain for me to switch if i have to.

It is indeed a tough decision for me as I am wondering if extrapolating the D700 images to the same "resolution" as the 5Dmk2, will there be significant degradation of image quality in terms of noise from the D700 - thereby nulling the slight advantage of the noise handling capability?

At the same time, i will be shooting images that require a high resolution. Maybe i can summarize:-

5Dmk2 native or inter/extrapolated D700 images at high ISO?

ARGH!!!!

please share your wise views guys!

Quote Originally Posted by victorlee10 View Post
    According to dpreview they're the same. I tend to trust dpreview much more than the other sites.
    usually it is the opposite.

that was once a guys condemned the review, it was so true that dpreview was ashame of themselves and unregistered the poster.

not all reviewers are good. remember there are lot of pros out there and photography is their main job. these people knows what is a good review and what is not.
    Last edited by ninelives; 5th March 2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Objection !!!

Couldn't agree more to what bro ninelives said.

DPR is not really a good review site IMO. The reviews are not objective at times. Better to read up more reviews frm other sites.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Couldn't agree more to what bro ninelives said.

DPR is not really a good review site IMO. The reviews are not objective at times. Better to read up more reviews frm other sites.
    I too must agree,

I check Dpreview about every second day (along with a few others) as it assists in my work to know what is coming up.

But, how many times have I read a review (by DPR) that says in the cons. ... the camera shuts down if the card door is opened.

And then says (in a recent review of a new camera) and at least, now when you open the door the camera does not shut down ......

Who, in their right mind wants to open the card door and change cards whilst the camera is turned on

So I agree, take DPR reviews as just another review, but not as THE REVIEW.

Cheers
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Well, what's true is that you need to see beyond individual bodies.

True or not, there are other things like lenses, flashes, ergonomics, etc. that make or break a choice.