Thread: regarding wedding

Default regarding wedding

hi all, just want your views on the brightness of photos or such.
    would you, wedding photographers, prefer shooting in the right
    exposure, or just shoot and exposures isn't impt and whats impt
    is the feel or composition?

and if you were to edit, do you edit much? i ask this is because
    i find photos direct from camera is better as it will remain constant
    in exposure for all photos.

Default Re: regarding wedding

dude exposure feel and composition are of equal importance. As far as possible i would believe any photographer would not trade off any aspect and should not.

The problem is that during wedding photography and in fact any event photography. Moments happen only once and its the skill of the photographer to capture it as quickly as possible. Being able to think fast on his or her feet. Thats the skill.

And yes even for simple events i edit my photos. I think simple contrast saturation levels tweeks are the least one could do for the client. In fact through editing is the best way to ensure your exposure is kept constant. Direct out of the camera i feel is a big no no for paying customers.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

Quote Originally Posted by hairyharry View Post
    hi all, just want your views on the brightness of photos or such.

and if you were to edit, do you edit much? i ask this is because
    i find photos direct from camera is better as it will remain constant
    in exposure for all photos.
    here's a rational way of looking at it

if you have the RIGHT EXPOSURE, then you can tune it to something that isn't the right exposure. on the other hand, if you have a blownout photograph, then your highlights cannot be recovered.

everything counts. but some things you can afford to lose because they are of no consequence; some things lost cannot be gained back. and highlight detail is one of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by hairyharry View Post
    imo, i think most wedding photographers are sufficiently experienced to hit the right exposure when they shoot

thanks for the comments guys.
    so most of you do edits the photos. so maybe thats
    the way it should be. hmm to me, i prefer photos direct
    off camera w/o tweaking anything. i guess i'll understand
    it in the long run, because i just started 'liking' it. thanks again all.

There is definitely no right or wrong with the same old debating of raw vs jpeg, ps vs straight-out-of-cam, n vs c etc etc. Everything or mostly are just preferences of individual or to the likings of your clients.

The best is to get the exposure right from the camera. If you edit it later, you may find that your pics will have more noise. For this, you need to have a feel of the exposure settings, probably do some testing at the venue before the event starts.

As for editing, if you're shooting JPEGs, look through your pics and see which ones need improvement. It depends on how many pics you shoot. I can't imagine having to edit every single pic if you shoot 500+ images or more.

I used to shoot RAW, but later decided it's too troublesome to edit every single image if you shoot a lot of them. But again, if you're doing it professionally, your circumstances may be different.

hmmm editing doesnt mean photoshop all the time. Programmes like iphoto or picasa or aperture that allow you to do the main tweaks to your photos quickly. 20 to 30 seconds a photo. I usually suggest people start there to grasp the main concept of editing and how powerful it can be.

To me out of camera photos are useable but there is always room for improvement.
    nikon d700 nikkor 50mm f1.4 nikkor 55mm micro ais f2.8 nikkor 35 f2 sb 600 sb800 leica m4

If you want to maximise your images' quality, then editing in your comp is the usual solution. However, some cameras allow in-camera editing for most common things. I find that these are very useful, and generally good enough to touch-up your photos, give them some saturation or contrast boost, distortion control, colour balance, etc. Saves you a lot of time too.