Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: do u pro use tripod when u walk around taking night photography???

Default do u pro use tripod when u walk around taking night photography???

usually when using handheld.. i cant really get perfect sharp pic... maybe my technique sa la... so was wondering.... do u guy actually bring tripod around???? if yes... wont the pple walking pass u give u a funny look???

Default Re: do u pro use tripod when u walk around taking night photography???

Nightshot without tripod? Possible... If the light is good enough and your have IS (either lens or camera body).

I bring my tripod whenever I want to take night photos.

And... I don't really cares about how others look at me. The funny things, it is very often, after I have all my equipment, I get to meet tourists asking my help in taking their photo. Sometimes, they are cute mei mei...

Handheld, holding breadth. Boost up ISO, activate IS/VR. Using the dustbin, railings as support. Some of the techniques to use other than using tripod.

hmm... i know it possible... bt i always feel tat wit a tripod.. the PQ is sharper...... i think i need to train my shaking hand liao.. haha

i even bring out once.. den wow... those eye tat staring at me.... i feel so uncomfy....

Quote Originally Posted by nannan82 View Post

i even bring out once.. den wow... those eye tat staring at me.... i feel so uncomfy....
    Think of it as they are looking at you with admiration.

Why so shy? Is not that you doing any illegal. In fact, I seeing many others carrying tripod every time I go for nightshots.
    Last edited by lenrek; 4th March 2009 at 11:14 PM.

Don't talk bout night, I even bring out in the day... lol.
    I don't really care about how pple look at me... if you need to bring a tripod to take steadier photos, just do so.. I often use a tripod as a walking stick when hiking too

Quote Originally Posted by lenrek View Post
    Think of it as they are looking at your with admiration.

Why so shy? Is not that you doing any illegal. In fact, I seeing many others carrying tripod every time I go for nightshots.
    agreed. even when on the way home on mrt, i see pple wif tripod as well

Why bothered with what people look. I always bring my tripod for evening / night shots.
    In fact I almost always bring when I am out shooting.

More depth of field and yet shooting at clean low ISO, i cannot think of not using a sturdy tripod.

Ryan

usually when using handheld.. i cant really get perfect sharp pic... maybe my technique sa la... so was wondering.... do u guy actually bring tripod around???? if yes... wont the pple walking pass u give u a funny look???
    What's so funny abt lugging around a tripod when taking night shots? It's common and many people are doing that, unless those who gave u the funny look don't even know what a tripod is.

Do note that IS/VR or any form of image stabilisation can never replace a tripod.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

okok thank for al lthe reply.... anyway... may i know u all guy tripod height??? mine around my chest area.... so i always have to bend to look thru VF.... do u all get the full height one??

i cant wait for mei mei to ask me to help them take photo liao.. hohoho

Nothing can replace a tripod for stability while shooting night shots.

okok thank for al lthe reply.... anyway... may i know u all guy tripod height??? mine around my chest area.... so i always have to bend to look thru VF.... do u all get the full height one??

i cant wait for mei mei to ask me to help them take photo liao.. hohoho
    I'm using the Manfrotto 055XProB with 488RC0 ballhead. When fully extended without centre column extended and camera mounted with grip, it's already above my head. So i always have to retract a bit in order to accomodate my height.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
    Nothing can replace a tripod for stability while shooting night shots.
    Not only that but also for long exposure shots which image stabilisation cannot do.

When i see someone with tripod, i think that they are just damnnn cool!

Quote Originally Posted by LexLim View Post
    U can be one of them and be cool too!

Quote Originally Posted by LexLim View Post
    Me too,not only damn cool but damn pro...IMHO,it good to bring along the tripod wether it day or night shoting.Just get incase there are mei mei wish to take some pict with you and nobody around can help you to snap the pict

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    U can be one of them and be cool too!
    when i have the kaching! yea, i will def bring it arnd

actually bring tripod for photo shoot very common nowadays. dun worry...get use to it.. think of wat u wan for the pic and not what you wan on other ppl.

i think with your tripod reaching until your chest height, and together with the height of your dslr, bending abit shouldnt be a problem.

yeah i bring around a tripod too for night shots. i guess at the start in some ways you may be concerned over others looking at you etc. etc., but you gotta get over it, because even when you take a dslr out and shoot without tripod, some people will also look at you. if so, does that mean you should never take your dslr out to shoot at all, because u worry people are looking? anyway, those people are either just curious and will turn away in a couple of seconds, or they are fellow photographers who wants to peep at the gear you're holding ... haha

So wat do you wanna shoot?

ppl, street scenes or landscapes?

If it's the latter, yes.

If it's the first two, then go high ISO and use a FAST lens...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast