Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Actual day photographer

Quote Originally Posted by CaeSiuM
    hi ayumilovesdanny,

your words abt novice and beginners staying away from wedding photography events are unkind. if novice and beginners are not given a chance at all, how can they improve or some would say "turn pro".

for such cases, it takes two to clap. if the couple and the would-be wedding photographer can agree on the pricing and the couple doesn't mind the photographer's lack of experience, then it's a win-win situation for both of them.

it is not a case of earning money here as you put it. please do not get so agitated and feel as though your ricebowl is being threatened here. i'm sure there are couples who are particular about the kind of quality photos they want and would go to better known wedding photographers. as many of the previous posters has put it, it is a matter of paying for what you will get.

these are my views and i just want to voice it out. not meaning to attack anyone. have a nice day!

Add something on it:
    Not all people also able to pay S$700 for photo shoot.One of my friends just ROM on NOV and he asked me for favor and pay $0 and $0 for hongbao too. I do told him about got cheap wedding shoot about S$200++, he still said expensive. He still consider want me to shoot free for him again when actual day. But i didn't say NO and i not sure when his coming actual day. But i like to help!

Just to share my experiences...

I was once approached to do an ROM shoot for a friend. It was supposed to be a small affair, but it was held at the Fullerton Hotel. Totally classy set-up. He asked, and I offered $300 negotiable (depending on what they wanted). He said he had to discuss with fiance, and when they got back to me the offered me a whopping $60. Film, transport and lunch would be provided, and they'd do their own printing.

I told them frankly I couldn't do it. And as a matter of personal principle, I always insist on doing the processing, especially for film. I won't accept any job if they say they'd do their own processing.

I have shot a two-day wedding for a friend for totally free, too. But I told them in advance that that was my first time shooting digital and this was a guinea-pig project. They discussed, they said OK. And thankfully, they were very pleased with the results. I don't shoot for free anymore of course, BUT I've got close relatives asking me to shoot their weddings and they definitely expect me to shoot for free (covering only film and printing costs). This could lead to other relatives asking the same. Oh well, if it ain't for the money, then it's gotta be for the love. No?
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman
    Just to share my experiences...

I was once approached to do an ROM shoot for a friend. It was supposed to be a small affair, but it was held at the Fullerton Hotel. Totally classy set-up. He asked, and I offered $300 negotiable (depending on what they wanted). He said he had to discuss with fiance, and when they got back to me the offered me a whopping $60. Film, transport and lunch would be provided, and they'd do their own printing.

I told them frankly I couldn't do it. And as a matter of personal principle, I always insist on doing the processing, especially for film. I won't accept any job if they say they'd do their own processing.

I have shot a two-day wedding for a friend for totally free, too. But I told them in advance that that was my first time shooting digital and this was a guinea-pig project. They discussed, they said OK. And thankfully, they were very pleased with the results. I don't shoot for free anymore of course, BUT I've got close relatives asking me to shoot their weddings and they definitely expect me to shoot for free (covering only film and printing costs). This could lead to other relatives asking the same. Oh well, if it ain't for the money, then it's gotta be for the love. No?
    Good say.
    There are always people out there trying to exploit any possible means of getting FOC stuff.
    To think of it the amount of money we invested in our
    cameras, equipments & effort to make things work, I think definitely we deserve to be handsomely rewarded.

I am not overly concerned with rates. Some people truly are tight, and if they are friends, I'll try to help. But 60 bucks?

I think people don't see the amount of effort and work photographers have to go through. They just see us going around with a camera "snapping pictures". Easy money what, they say. Like many who have attested, it's backbreaking work. And what about the stress and pressure? Not to sound elitist, but why the better photographers should get paid a rate is because of their photographic mind. That is one intangible that most can't appreciate, but holds greater value that any gear one could own.

Deregistered

Agree with synapseman, don't work for free, you get no returns.

I did one for free once.... morning 6am till 11plus pm.... i came home i felt like i went for a 32km route march haha...

but i think $60 for a wedding, u should tell the couple their wedding very windy, can go fly a kite...haha... ok ok im kidding.
    I just feel that if you're willing to help ur friend for free, then help, and after it, do not bit*h about it so much. But there are often *most often* couples out there who really do not wish to spend so much on their wedding photos *actual day*.
    my thoughts are...if i continue to "volunteer" for taking photos free...then on my wedding day *i pray it will come in a few yrs time* whos going to take my photos for free!?!?
    Last edited by eadwine; 16th December 2003 at 06:28 PM.

That's why I say must consider case-by-case basis. One thing I don't get is people are willing to splurge on everything else except what possibly is the most important thing - photography. If people are tight, I help. If it's due to stinginess, I'm less keen. I've got to draw the line somewhere. I guess it's also because of what some people have mentioned here, that there are a lot of people out there who'd do it for free. Incidentally, the fella did secure somebody else, and yes, for free.

I've shot abt 5 or 6 weddings, with 4 of them as the main photographer. Same reason : the couples on tight budget, not willing to engage professionals. I don't charge for all my assignments, as I still consider myself as a novice who's still not very confident with my own skills. I normally receive ang pows between $50 - $100 (with the best at $300 ). But of cos I'll prewarn my friends & relatives not to expect too much or even compare my skills with a pro. Good thing is, the photos turn out okay and the couples are quite happy with what I've produced. Phew...

The only thing I can say about shooting for weddings...stressed!! My upcoming one is just next weekend...full day shoot for church wedding, tea ceremony, outdoor shoot & wedding dinner. I'm going down to the church this weekend for the rehearsal to do a trial shoot, just to familiarise myself with the lighting conditions and environment. Can't afford to screw up the shoot, cos he's an old friend of 18 years. Oops, he's fr CS too...hopefully he's too busy to read my post here

Keeping my fingers crossed. Wish me good luck ok?
    Last edited by vivientan; 18th December 2003 at 01:28 AM.

Deregistered

Lai lai... $60 I do.. no problem I give you $60 quality

I undercut you! $30!

Maybe I should use this camera of mine. Film camera summore OK? (Film is better than digital, right?)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123