Thread: 18-200mm kit lens + Speedlite 580EX II w/ f8 settings for dinner events

Default 18-200mm kit lens + Speedlite 580EX II w/ f8 settings for dinner events

I am planning to do a lot of low-light event photography soon, mainly dinner events. I would like to know if my 18-200mm, f3.5-5.6 IS kit lens that comes together with my Canon 50D can deliver high quality photos when paired with Canon Speedlite 580EX II and using f8 (since I want to get sharp faces for all attendees)? I still do not have budget to get good lens (f <= 2.8) now.

Please advise. Thanks.

Default Re: 18-200mm kit lens + Speedlite 580EX II w/ f8 settings for dinner events

but can go rent a faster lens for a day...

Default Re: 18-200mm kit lens + Speedlite 580EX II w/ f8 settings for dinner events

You are going to use f8, why would you need a 2.8 lens?

Well, most people will recommend me to get or rent a f2.8 lens the moment I mention I want to take good photos during dinner events. That is why I explicitly mentioned in my post that I will not consider f2.8 lens now. Renting a good lens also not part of the plan.

I plan to invest in external flash unit, and would like to get opinions whether it will give me good quality photos if I use my current kit lens with the external flash, especially when I set my camera to f8 with the purpose to get better DOF. Thanks.

If you are doing group shoot, most probably you will be using tripod i pressume, so with your current setup should not be a problem at producing a decent pic. But of course the arrangement of the group and low/high celing etc should factor in also.

Yes it can provided you know how to do with the flash and cam

imho, f8 sounds a little too dark for me, but it depends what's the distance u're shooting