Thread: Strobes and Flash

Default Strobes and Flash

Hi All,

I hope this forum name (newbies corner) lives up to it's name and i'll not get flamed for the question below ha.

Anyway, I am interested in taking portraits outdoors (perhaps in dim areas) and was wondering which is better in terms of providing sufficient lighting for a good shot. Strobes or flash? I did a minor market survey and realise strobes are about $200? Is there anything that is relatively cheaper and good enough for a beginner to try out?

Default Re: Strobes and Flash

Strobes costing $200? Did you read it right?

Flashes starts from about $200 onwards (and not including the remote triggering mechanism.) Strobes normally cost much more, esp those with their external battery packs.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Default Re: Strobes and Flash

Quote Originally Posted by drOick View Post
    Hi All,

I hope this forum name (newbies corner) lives up to it's name and i'll not get flamed for the question below ha.

Anyway, I am interested in taking portraits outdoors (perhaps in dim areas) and was wondering which is better in terms of providing sufficient lighting for a good shot. Strobes or flash? I did a minor market survey and realise strobes are about $200? Is there anything that is relatively cheaper and good enough for a beginner to try out?
    the term of Strobes and flash are use interchangeable, so can you define what strobes and what flash are you referring to?
    mounted on light stand and run on A/C power type? or mount on camera hotshoe type and use AA batteries type?
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio