Thread: WARNING-> Potential Fake Sandisk Extreme Series CF Card

Default WARNING-> Potential Fake Sandisk Extreme Series CF Card

I just got a pair of new generation extreme type III from a shop in sim lim sq,5th floor, which is quite well known for the cheap memory cards it carry.

The two 16GB cards have identical serial number at the bottom, I googled around, this serial number suppose to be unique for sandisk product.

The shop which I bought the cards from offer 5 years warranty...if I'm not wrong, all sandisk CF is life time warranty...

I checked all available resource I can on internet, the two CF cards I bought matches all the characteristics the genuine cards have...but the two cards can't have same serial...I strongly suspect the two cards I bought are the latest imitations.

So...bros, please be careful in buying CFs in this period of time, and please correct me if I'm wrong with the serial number thingy.

I will call sandisk to double confirm this thing on monday...will keep you guys updated

Default Re: WARNING-> Potential Fake Sandisk Extreme Series CF Card

...and, i tested the speed, directly connected to my D3 with USB, it sucks my family jewels...below 10Mbps

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Could be that the fakers have already improved on their faking and followed all the cosmetic pre-requisites. I guess if TS can confirm that he/she had indeed been sold fake Sandisk products, a police report as well as report to Sandisk can be made. IF I'm not mistaken, THAT shop supposedly sells GENUINE Sandisk products, albeit, parallell imports, hence the cheaper prices.

TS, could you put up a photo of the same serial nimbers as well as clear photos of the cards and packaging?

vince123123
    Guests

Which is the SLS shop?

B*** Bar**** you mean?

vince123123
    Guests

Just say lor, "Best Bargains" ?

THanks for the warning, was intending to get a Scandisk CF card. Think i will be more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by XsteelWolf View Post
    I just got a pair of new generation extreme type III from a shop in sim lim sq,5th floor, which is quite well known for the cheap memory cards it carry.

The two 16GB cards have identical serial number at the bottom, I googled around, this serial number suppose to be unique for sandisk product.

The shop which I bought the cards from offer 5 years warranty...if I'm not wrong, all sandisk CF is life time warranty...

I checked all available resource I can on internet, the two CF cards I bought matches all the characteristics the genuine cards have...but the two cards can't have same serial...I strongly suspect the two cards I bought are the latest imitations.

So...bros, please be careful in buying CFs in this period of time, and please correct me if I'm wrong with the serial number thingy.

I will call sandisk to double confirm this thing on monday...will keep you guys updated
    Bro, guess you should call up the shop for clarification first, listen to what they say first.
    Of cause you can chk with Sandisk next Monday.

Thanks for alerting bro

i almost bought a SanDisk CF card there yesterday but decided to wait till IT Show...heng ah...

Hi bros, just called up the Sandisk local distributor and the shop I bought the cards from.

The local distributor claimed that the no. at the bottom of the CF card is batch number, it's not serial number, there will be a chance that many cards will have the same batch number.

Besides, the local distributor, Vector Megnetic cannot verify for me if the cards sim lim sq shops carry are genuine or not. Buy at your own risk...

As for the speed of the card, I'm only getting about 4MB/s shown by vista for extreme type III cards directly connected to my Nikon D3, the technician told me that the speed was inaccurate, but I did not expect such a big gap.

Quote Originally Posted by XsteelWolf View Post
    As for the speed of the card, I'm only getting about 4MB/s shown by vista for extreme type III cards directly connected to my Nikon D3, the technician told me that the speed was inaccurate, but I did not expect such a big gap.
    The Nikon D3 is not exactly the fastest USB device, but you should still get about 12MB/s.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3/page13.asp
    Alpha

You can compare your results from your D3 with Rob Galbraith's CF speed database. The methodology is listed there.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/cam...?cid=6007-9255