Thread: Canon DPP or Adobe Camera Raw

Default Canon DPP or Adobe Camera Raw

Hi all

I heard that for Canon DSLRs, using the DPP software can produce better results than either Lightroom or Camera Raw. Is this true?

I'm beginning to learn RAW conversion in CS3, and wonder whether I should just stop (since I've only started reading a few pages so far) and switch over to DPP instead?

Does DPP really produce better colors and more details than Adobe's RAW conversion engine?

I know there are plenty of books on Lightroom and Camera Raw, but haven't seen any for DPP so far. This can be a disadvantage when trying to learn DPP

I'm using 300D and 40D by the way.

Cheers

Default Re: Canon DPP or Adobe Camera Raw

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    Hi all

I heard that for Canon DSLRs, using the DPP software can produce better results than either Lightroom or Camera Raw. Is this true?

I'm beginning to learn RAW conversion in CS3, and wonder whether I should just stop (since I've only started reading a few pages so far) and switch over to DPP instead?

Does DPP really produce better colors and more details than Adobe's RAW conversion engine?

I know there are plenty of books on Lightroom and Camera Raw, but haven't seen any for DPP so far. This can be a disadvantage when trying to learn DPP

I'm using 300D and 40D by the way.

Cheers
    Here's a beginner's video tutorial..
    Expert Juggling Comes From Experience. Experience Comes From Bad Juggling.

Quote Originally Posted by humbee View Post
    RAW conversion is about interpreting data captured by the sensor. Naturally, Canon's DPP will have an advantage compared to Adobe since Canon knows how the sensor works and which data will come out based on a certain colour input (sensor profile). Adobe doesn't have all the specs (Canon doesn't share it) and can only do reverse engineering. There are reviews showing the differences of various RAW converters. Here is one link, Google will reveal more.
    But Adobe is not new to this business and the RAW converter gets pretty good comments. The differences are marginal and need more than one look to become visible. But: does it really matter for your picture editing? Let's say the blue in DPP gets a tad more blue than in Adobe RAW. Finally you will adjust the colour to your desired outcome, so the input / conversion result becomes less significant.
    Finally, and that's my personal preference, LR2 offers a great organizing function and much more where DPP just offers the bare minimum. Whatever small advantage DPP has in terms of colour is easily offset with the useful functions and workflow implementation of Lightroom.
    Last edited by Octarine; 27th February 2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

Hi Octarine

Well said ! I'll just continue reading on Camera Raw conversion in CS3 for now.
    Don't have a chance to use Lightroom for the time being, maybe wait till LR3 to come.

When it comes to 'better colour' and such, I think we can agree that this may be subjective yah?

I agree with Octarine that just by the basis of functions and interface, software such as LR2 makes for a better workflow.

DPP continues to be updated while I believe new Adobe upgrades apply to only the current version of the s/ware (CS4, LR2).