Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: travel insurance - camera

Default travel insurance - camera

just wondering anyone has any details on travel insurance just on cameras alone?

from what i saw at the major insurance providers, they provide a wide variety of coverage but when comes to loss/theft, its usually a max of 500 per item or max of 1000 for notebook.

i wonder if anyone has found a specific insurance package solely for the value of your camera/equipment.

Default Re: travel insurance - camera

I never come across, i am also interested to know as i am bringing my DSLR and L Lens to Taiwan.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

I have never bother to get insurance for my Camera..... if the insurance is 'cheap', than it would hardly cover the cost of your gears. If the insurance is 'expensive', than it will greatly reduce my buget for the trip. Btw.... the paperwork alone in trying to claim such an insurance will be a big headache.

Many sales personal will only tell what you could claim.... but not tell you the needed paperwork to successfully made such a claim..... So, ask lots of question !!

Btw....... I believed that by using common sense.... your Gears will go, and return very much intact. Or do anyone here also buy insurance while using their gears in S'pore

Scuba & Father... For Life

singapore is much safer place compared to various parts of the world.

i was once robbed in spain, and my P&S was taken.

im not saying it is necessary, but just checking if someone has experience in this matter.

these days, if i were to venture to EU, i would try to go in a bigger group for security.

Check out AIG travel insurance.

Not specifically for camera, but cover other things as well and it one of the best claims benefits around, thought abit ex.

Nevertheless, it worth the extra if you do need to make claims.

I never travel without it. :-)

anyone knows where i can buy a secure camera bag with metal net that can be lock up in my hotel room.
    5D MKII,1000D,16-35mm f/2.8 L USMII,75-300mm,18-55mm,EF 50mm f/1.8 II,EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    anyone knows where i can buy a secure camera bag with metal net that can be lock up in my hotel room.
    Good hotels have a safe in the room. Ok, a tripod won't fit but a camera will.

Quote Originally Posted by cqprime View Post
    Sports Connection many branches eg. Plz Singapura has something called PacSafe for backpacks and stuff. I'd bought one but never bothered to travel with it cos it's quite heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by nuthead View Post
    Check out AIG travel insurance.

Not specifically for camera, but cover other things as well and it one of the best claims benefits around, thought abit ex.

Nevertheless, it worth the extra if you do need to make claims.

I never travel without it. :-)
    I used to buy AIG Travel Insurance everytime I travel, but most recently I switched to another as AIG did not have cover for these anymore? I thought they had before but on my latest trip... I've gone through the T&Cs and I couldn't believe it, there was no cover for computer or camera!

I switched to another insurer which was cheaper and still had some cover for my notebook and camera.

../azul123

Most of the major insurance company locally have what you already stated. I've checked it out a few years back for camera and notebook specific ones, but don't have. I've enquired from my agent previously, and was told that it's possible to have high coverage for your equipment but it's not cheap to do so. He told me that it's not worth it.

The claims is still valid under "Section 23. Personal Baggage including Laptop Computer".

Claims for my tripod before and now making claims for a series of items.

Quote Originally Posted by nuthead View Post
    The claims is still valid under "Section 23. Personal Baggage including Laptop Computer".

Claims for my tripod before and now making claims for a series of items.
    does it include camera ?
    Stock Canon G10

Quote Originally Posted by ahnah View Post
    does it include camera ?
    i believe laptop covered to 2k and all other item is 500

ok .. i bought the insurance liao .. no time already
    Stock Canon G10

ok .. i bought the insurance liao .. no time already
    What's the damage, and what's the coverage?

Oh, and have a good trip!

Quote Originally Posted by 2evans View Post
    What's the damage, and what's the coverage?

Oh, and have a good trip!
    damage ... standard lor.. silver Prem is $21

coverage. . camera is max at $800.
    Stock Canon G10

Well. I had bad experiences with my cameras overseas too.

Once (4 years back), my Nikon F65 was stolen from my backpack in Italy. Was in the train cabin with my friends. Then in the middle of the night, this group of punks came into the cabin.. and i subconsciously saw them but somehow had no strength to wake up to see what they were doing. After that, i heard of the notorious Italy trains where they will smoke us out and rob our stuff... guess i kenna that...

So, i bought a new camera with dual lens. And when boarding the bus, my longer lens was pickpocketed. The pickpocket was really skilful in that he actually went into my bag to steal without me knowing. When i feel somebody's hand in my bag and turn around, the pickpocket disappeared into the crowd and so did my lens. Luckily, he only took the long lens and not the body.. if not, i will need to get a new body again.. From this incident, i learnt to use bags with velcro and those that are not so easily opened. Also, i carried my camera bags in front of me nowadays, not even at the side anymore.

My friend got his pns camera pickpocketed during our trip to Mongolia 2 years ago. The camera was in his front jacket pocket, securely zipped up. Yet, in the crowd, the pickpocket was able to unzip his pocket, put his hand in and stole the camera. Luckily, we are able to claim insurance for that... Previous 2 cases, i didnt buy any insurance..

But, recently i havent met with any such cases. Probably cos i am more alert nowadays and even bring a tripod whereever i go?

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by hongwen37 View Post
    Well. I had bad experiences with my cameras overseas too.

Once (4 years back), my Nikon F65 was stolen from my backpack in Italy. Was in the train cabin with my friends. Then in the middle of the night, this group of punks came into the cabin.. and i subconsciously saw them but somehow had no strength to wake up to see what they were doing. After that, i heard of the notorious Italy trains where they will smoke us out and rob our stuff... guess i kenna that...

So, i bought a new camera with dual lens. And when boarding the bus, my longer lens was pickpocketed. The pickpocket was really skilful in that he actually went into my bag to steal without me knowing. When i feel somebody's hand in my bag and turn around, the pickpocket disappeared into the crowd and so did my lens. Luckily, he only took the long lens and not the body.. if not, i will need to get a new body again.. From this incident, i learnt to use bags with velcro and those that are not so easily opened. Also, i carried my camera bags in front of me nowadays, not even at the side anymore.

My friend got his pns camera pickpocketed during our trip to Mongolia 2 years ago. The camera was in his front jacket pocket, securely zipped up. Yet, in the crowd, the pickpocket was able to unzip his pocket, put his hand in and stole the camera. Luckily, we are able to claim insurance for that... Previous 2 cases, i didnt buy any insurance..

But, recently i havent met with any such cases. Probably cos i am more alert nowadays and even bring a tripod whereever i go?
    uh, you mean the tripod helps in deterring pickpockets??

can share who's the provider? thx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast