Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

  1. #1

    Question I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Until now I still dun undestand leh. Why MS want to spend time and money to develop IE, Apple Safari and Google Chrome?

    Browsers can make money one meh?

    I dun see the reason, even if one companies dominate the browser market, so what? Will money come in meh? ? ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Money is not everything.

    There are also photographers doing it for free and the passion of it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    If onli I can corner the free photography market....

    ... then I sell ads in my photoalbums

    ... target market specific ads somemore...
    Last edited by CYRN; 26th February 2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big Kahuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Their programmers are too free...nothing better to do

    Btw Gmail also free....but google still make hell lot of money out of it

  5. #5
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Until now I still dun undestand leh. Why MS want to spend time and money to develop IE, Apple Safari and Google Chrome?

    Browsers can make money one meh?

    I dun see the reason, even if one companies dominate the browser market, so what? Will money come in meh? ? ?
    that is because you still have not learnt to see the big picture

  6. #6

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    that is because you still have not learnt to see the big picture
    What's the big picture?

  7. #7

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    The big picture like the one on the top right hand corner right now...

  8. #8
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    have you hear about netscape?

    those who lose out will be like that.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    well, for 1, microsoft's IE is not free, its a bundle with the OS. which alot of people are arguing about its value and dominance, as well as monopoly in the browser market.

    as for google's chrome, imagine them one of the biggest, if not the biggest, search engine now, what is the next best logical step to go? firefox already implemented search direct to google on the browser, google chrome just make it even better.

    then back to firefox... without mozilla, opensource stuffs, i think all of us will be paying a fortune for every software available... its an alternative. same like you don't have to use Windows, and if you want it free, you can use linux OS, like ubuntu, etc. if you want free spreadsheet, wordprocessor, you can use OpenOffice... these are free alternatives relying on donations and sponsorships. and like anything free, don't expect miracles.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  10. #10

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    have you hear about netscape?

    those who lose out will be like that.
    what happened?

    tot it mutated to FF on today?
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  11. #11
    Moderator nightwolf75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    really MORE diaper changes
    Posts
    17,867
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    *nw checks calander*... eh? not school holiday yet and HP is posting such things liao ah? getting earlier and earlier...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

  12. #12

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well, for 1, microsoft's IE is not free, its a bundle with the OS. which alot of people are arguing about its value and dominance, as well as monopoly in the browser market.

    as for google's chrome, imagine them one of the biggest, if not the biggest, search engine now, what is the next best logical step to go? firefox already implemented search direct to google on the browser, google chrome just make it even better.

    then back to firefox... without mozilla, opensource stuffs, i think all of us will be paying a fortune for every software available... its an alternative. same like you don't have to use Windows, and if you want it free, you can use linux OS, like ubuntu, etc. if you want free spreadsheet, wordprocessor, you can use OpenOffice... these are free alternatives relying on donations and sponsorships. and like anything free, don't expect miracles.
    Actually... need to highlight....

    Nothing is really free.. Juz that someone is kind enough to pay for the rest of us users.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  13. #13

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    *nw checks calander*... eh? not school holiday yet and HP is posting such things liao ah? getting earlier and earlier...
    u check wrong calander for school holiday
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    The big picture like the one on the top right hand corner right now...
    His big picture at top right hand corner may look like this:


  15. #15

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    He who conquers takes all.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

  16. #16

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Until now I still dun undestand leh. Why MS want to spend time and money to develop IE, Apple Safari and Google Chrome?

    Browsers can make money one meh?

    I dun see the reason, even if one companies dominate the browser market, so what? Will money come in meh? ? ?
    Once you understand the big picture, including being able to set online standards and be in control of the upcoming cloud computing / web-based services market, you'll understand why it's so important.
    Alpha

  17. #17
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    He who conquers takes all.
    "Lose the battle, Win the War"

    .....Art of War, Sun Tzu

  18. #18

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Once you understand the big picture, including being able to set online standards and be in control of the upcoming cloud computing / web-based services market, you'll understand why it's so important.
    not only that, but I find that people in the software world can be quite idealistic, there's a certain sharing culture and a general belief that doing certain things can help better certain aspects of life /online life

    maybe it's naive but I find it quite progressive and beautiful.
    it's up to the businessmen to exploit those people and make money off it I guess.shrugs.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Pablo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Blue/Green Planet
    Posts
    1,854

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    His big picture at top right hand corner may look like this:

    Again I have to thank you Sion

    I have not waited for this to be merely in the top right hand of my screen.

    I have made it my wallpaper right now

    I cant wait to show my friends
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

  20. #20
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    not only that, but I find that people in the software world can be quite idealistic, there's a certain sharing culture and a general belief that doing certain things can help better certain aspects of life /online life

    maybe it's naive but I find it quite progressive and beautiful.
    it's up to the businessmen to exploit those people and make money off it I guess.shrugs.
    Well who did you think caused the last DotCom crash. Everything was fine till the businessman showed up. Overhyping and overselling till it all came crashing down. That's the vicious cycle of any industry and development. One also can't live without the other so it is a cautionary dance each time both meet. Maybe more regulations in place can help as what they want to put it to the bankers and folks in Wall Street but will it help whose to say man.

    The only idealistic group that is still "surviving" and still have a voice maybe for folks developing Linux...since there is hardly any money to be made ( by businessman standards ) so the community of software coders..etc still can "rule" things.
    Last edited by sammy888; 26th February 2009 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •