Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

Question I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

Until now I still dun undestand leh. Why MS want to spend time and money to develop IE, Apple Safari and Google Chrome?

Browsers can make money one meh?

I dun see the reason, even if one companies dominate the browser market, so what? Will money come in meh? ? ?

Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

Money is not everything.

There are also photographers doing it for free and the passion of it.

Default Re: I still dun understand why companies want to come out with free web browsers!

If onli I can corner the free photography market....

... then I sell ads in my photoalbums

... target market specific ads somemore...
    Last edited by CYRN; 26th February 2009 at 03:34 PM.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Their programmers are too free...nothing better to do

Btw Gmail also free....but google still make hell lot of money out of it

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post
    Until now I still dun undestand leh. Why MS want to spend time and money to develop IE, Apple Safari and Google Chrome?

I dun see the reason, even if one companies dominate the browser market, so what? Will money come in meh? ? ?
    that is because you still have not learnt to see the big picture

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    that is because you still have not learnt to see the big picture
    What's the big picture?

The big picture like the one on the top right hand corner right now...

have you hear about netscape?

those who lose out will be like that.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

well, for 1, microsoft's IE is not free, its a bundle with the OS. which alot of people are arguing about its value and dominance, as well as monopoly in the browser market.

as for google's chrome, imagine them one of the biggest, if not the biggest, search engine now, what is the next best logical step to go? firefox already implemented search direct to google on the browser, google chrome just make it even better.

then back to firefox... without mozilla, opensource stuffs, i think all of us will be paying a fortune for every software available... its an alternative. same like you don't have to use Windows, and if you want it free, you can use linux OS, like ubuntu, etc. if you want free spreadsheet, wordprocessor, you can use OpenOffice... these are free alternatives relying on donations and sponsorships. and like anything free, don't expect miracles.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    have you hear about netscape?

those who lose out will be like that.
    what happened?

tot it mutated to FF on today?

Blog Entries

*nw checks calander*... eh? not school holiday yet and HP is posting such things liao ah? getting earlier and earlier...
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well, for 1, microsoft's IE is not free, its a bundle with the OS. which alot of people are arguing about its value and dominance, as well as monopoly in the browser market.

as for google's chrome, imagine them one of the biggest, if not the biggest, search engine now, what is the next best logical step to go? firefox already implemented search direct to google on the browser, google chrome just make it even better.

then back to firefox... without mozilla, opensource stuffs, i think all of us will be paying a fortune for every software available... its an alternative. same like you don't have to use Windows, and if you want it free, you can use linux OS, like ubuntu, etc. if you want free spreadsheet, wordprocessor, you can use OpenOffice... these are free alternatives relying on donations and sponsorships. and like anything free, don't expect miracles.
    Actually... need to highlight....

Nothing is really free.. Juz that someone is kind enough to pay for the rest of us users.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    *nw checks calander*... eh? not school holiday yet and HP is posting such things liao ah? getting earlier and earlier...
    u check wrong calander for school holiday

Quote Originally Posted by lypklypk View Post
    The big picture like the one on the top right hand corner right now...
    His big picture at top right hand corner may look like this:

He who conquers takes all.
    Eat breath LIVERPOOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Potter View Post

Once you understand the big picture, including being able to set online standards and be in control of the upcoming cloud computing / web-based services market, you'll understand why it's so important.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    He who conquers takes all.
    "Lose the battle, Win the War"

.....Art of War, Sun Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Once you understand the big picture, including being able to set online standards and be in control of the upcoming cloud computing / web-based services market, you'll understand why it's so important.
    not only that, but I find that people in the software world can be quite idealistic, there's a certain sharing culture and a general belief that doing certain things can help better certain aspects of life /online life

maybe it's naive but I find it quite progressive and beautiful.
    it's up to the businessmen to exploit those people and make money off it I guess.shrugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    His big picture at top right hand corner may look like this:

Again I have to thank you Sion

I have not waited for this to be merely in the top right hand of my screen.

I have made it my wallpaper right now

I cant wait to show my friends
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    not only that, but I find that people in the software world can be quite idealistic, there's a certain sharing culture and a general belief that doing certain things can help better certain aspects of life /online life

maybe it's naive but I find it quite progressive and beautiful.
    it's up to the businessmen to exploit those people and make money off it I guess.shrugs.
    Well who did you think caused the last DotCom crash. Everything was fine till the businessman showed up. Overhyping and overselling till it all came crashing down. That's the vicious cycle of any industry and development. One also can't live without the other so it is a cautionary dance each time both meet. Maybe more regulations in place can help as what they want to put it to the bankers and folks in Wall Street but will it help whose to say man.

The only idealistic group that is still "surviving" and still have a voice maybe for folks developing Linux...since there is hardly any money to be made ( by businessman standards ) so the community of software coders..etc still can "rule" things.
    Last edited by sammy888; 26th February 2009 at 08:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast