Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 96 of 96

Thread: Trading in MRT

  1. #81

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    The main reason to stop transactions over the gates is because mrt stations are meant to for transportation and not for dealing business. So i wonder, because how you deem behaviours to be acts of transactions can be rather subjective.

    For eg. I can pass money to my mom over the gates because she helped me buy things.

    so is that illegal?

    To warn is ok. To fine is alittle far-fetched.
    Last edited by chikubang; 27th February 2009 at 12:13 PM.
    Passion for Photography

  2. #82

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    To warn is ok. To fine is alittle far-fetched.
    I think fine is there just in case they NEED to use it. It was the "maximum penalty" see.

    Most likely, they'd warn.

  3. #83
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    I was merely expanding on Pinoy's post. The main emphasis is to do your article exchange in the paid area, as I have emphasised in my post.

    You don't have to say it "again" because I heard you the first time. You only say things again when people didn't hear you or post rebuttals which do not appear to have taken cognizance of your point.

    Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    as a matter of fact, there is another possibility.

    A needs to travel from 1 to 4.
    B needs to travel from 10 to 6.

    Both travel to 5, exchange, and travel BACK to their respective stations
    conforms to all existing regulations.

    Again, vince, I don't want to "write to MRT" about this. I think they know of this too.

  4. #84
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Prosecutorial discretion and sentencing are different concepts.

    If they warn, it has nothing to do with the maximum penalty. It just means they decided not to exericse the prosecutorial discretion (or for that matter, to report to someone with that discretion).

    Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    I think fine is there just in case they NEED to use it. It was the "maximum penalty" see.

    Most likely, they'd warn.

  5. #85
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Based on Regulation 31, that is unfortunately, illegal.

    EDIT: Forgot about the requirement that it must be for trade or business, so in this case, probably not.

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    The main reason to stop transactions over the gates is because mrt stations are meant to for transportation and not for dealing business. So i wonder, because how you deem behaviours to be acts of transactions can be rather subjective.

    For eg. I can pass money to my mom over the gates because she helped me buy things.

    so is that illegal?

    To warn is ok. To fine is alittle far-fetched.
    Last edited by vince123123; 27th February 2009 at 04:04 PM.

  6. #86

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Prosecutorial discretion and sentencing are different concepts.

    If they warn, it has nothing to do with the maximum penalty. It just means they decided not to exericse the prosecutorial discretion (or for that matter, to report to someone with that discretion).
    I see. Thanks for the valuable information.

  7. #87
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    You're welcome - always a pleasure to share information

    Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    I see. Thanks for the information.

  8. #88
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Great information, at least we finally see someone else who can contribute some sensible and substantive information on legal information

    I would add my own personal view on your personal view that the choice to argue with the SMRT is really up to each individual's own.

    IF AG decides to prosecute and can't show the "trade or business" requirement, then there will be no liability. Of course, maybe they will then come up with some other law in some corner of some Act to catch that situation



    Quote Originally Posted by OBU View Post
    DISCLAIMER :
    The views expressed here are my personal opinions and should not be construed as specific legal advice. It is not meant as a suggestion that you should ‘argue until the cow comes home’ if you were told by SMRT staff that transfer of any article or goods between the paid area and unpaid area is disallowed. The more sensible action is to heed their advice and refrain from impugning the integrity of the judicial system with unnecessary legal argument.

    Please consult a qualified lawyer for all case specific consultations.

  9. #89
    Member/Tangshooter
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ClubSNAP Community
    Posts
    3,118

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Wah! I tot i'm in some law forums!

    OBU, appreciate what you have shared here!
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

  10. #90
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    That relates to jurisdiction only, not really a catch all to catch all offences. Not sur ewhat you mean by "catch-all".

    Quote Originally Posted by OBU View Post
    There is already a catch-all sub-section in the Rapid Transit Systems Act, Cap 263A below :

    Jurisdiction of courts :
    42. Notwithstanding the provisions of any written law to the contrary, a District Court or a Magistrate’s Court shall have jurisdiction to try any offence under this Act and award the full punishment for such offence.

  11. #91

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Quote Originally Posted by estel View Post
    I think fine is there just in case they NEED to use it..
    Most likely, they'd warn.
    Hope so.
    Otherwise it'll become a case of actually getting evidence?

    Case Study:
    So if I pass an item over, the other party hands me $$.
    And when stopped, I deny its for the items but rather its payment for last nite's dinner..

    Then how?
    Call detective, check if we were at restaurant, get witnesses...
    Watch CCTV, see if one party said "Can cheaper or not?" or "Give discount leh, I student"..
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 27th February 2009 at 05:10 PM.

  12. #92
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Yup it will be up to the prosecution to prove their case.

    Evidence can come in the form of CCTV as you say, or in blind spots, possibly testimony from the SMRT person who saw you (which will be cross-examinable).

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    Hope so.
    Otherwise it'll become a case of actually getting evidence?

    Case Study:
    So if I pass an item over, the other party hands me $$.
    And when stopped, I deny its for the items but rather its payment for last nite's dinner..

    Then how?
    Call detective, check if we were at restaurant, get witnesses...
    Watch CCTV, see if one party said "Can cheaper or not?" or "Give discount leh, I student"..

  13. #93

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    So the next time I buy something will say loud loud..

    Me: "Oh! thanks for RETURNING MYyy lens to me!.."

    Me:" You better have not damaged MYyy lens!.."
    Proceed to check item...

    Me: "BTW, heres your $$ for last nite's dinner.."

    Like this can?...

  14. #94
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Hahaha sounds feasible :P KEKEK

    The only catch would be why the dinner costs hundreds/thousands of dollars :P KEKEK

    Quote Originally Posted by redmonsoon View Post
    So the next time I buy something will say loud loud..

    Me: "Oh! thanks for RETURNING MYyy lens to me!.."

    Me:" You better have not damaged MYyy lens!.."
    Proceed to check item...

    Me: "BTW, heres your $$ for last nite's dinner.."

    Like this can?...

  15. #95

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Hahaha sounds feasible :P KEKEK

    The only catch would be why the dinner costs hundreds/thousands of dollars :P KEKEK
    You mean Ah Hock, who just RETURNED me Myy lens, could possibly be trying to cheat my $$!! I could've swear those prawns ain't so nice even though he said they were from antarctica...

    Ok OT OT..
    Last edited by redmonsoon; 27th February 2009 at 05:43 PM.

  16. #96
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Trading in MRT

    Hehehe now that's a good funny one

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •