Thread: Not yet....

Default Not yet....

Hi All,
    I do not own a DSLR yet...but soon!!! I am taking my time to purchase my 1st DSLR. Not sure which approach I will employ. Buy a second hand basic DSLR + buy a good lens, or just go for the one I have my eyes on now.

Anyways, I am enjoying the discussions here. I am learning a lot about DSLRs.

Cheers,

Default Re: Not yet....

Errr...First thing to consider...Your Budget...

Go to the shops (like harvey, courts, etc...)

Feel the cameras first. See which you like in your hands. Then look at the price. Check back here in the forum for the updated price list.

Check in the BnS section.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Thanks for the welcome...and yes, the advice. Mmmm, budget is around 1.2k

Quote Originally Posted by celestemc View Post
    Thanks for the welcome...and yes, the advice. Mmmm, budget is around 1.2k
    One suggestion for that budget: D90.

Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    One suggestion for that budget: D90.
    What is it with you and advising Nikon cameras above budget? :P

TS: with a budget of 1200, you can get a good entry-level DSLR from Nikon, Canon or Sony, and have enough money left over for a dry cabinet and memory cards.
    Alpha

Hahaha, yeah...I know that my budget can't afford D90 even though it has a 'drool' factor.

Anyways, I decided to play safe and get the cheapest I can afford. A camera than can allow me to learn about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, EV compensation, etc..etc. I got an Olympus E-420. It was selling for $690. Mmmm, but decided to add $100 instead and get a pancake lens. I am not sure if I made the right decision on that lens, but I liked the sample pictures taken by that lens.

Now...to the long journey of reading the manual and getting acquainted with the camera. Oh, the other reason why I bought that is because it is light and compact. Just nice for a lady user . I was toying with the idea of getting a Panasonic G1, but the salesman dissuaded me from doing so. He asked me to wait for the micro four thirds to mature first.

Congratulations! Now enjoy your new toy and the journey

Quote Originally Posted by celestemc View Post
    Hahaha, yeah...I know that my budget can't afford D90 even though it has a 'drool' factor.

Anyways, I decided to play safe and get the cheapest I can afford. A camera than can allow me to learn about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, EV compensation, etc..etc. I got an Olympus E-420. It was selling for $690. Mmmm, but decided to add $100 instead and get a pancake lens. I am not sure if I made the right decision on that lens, but I liked the sample pictures taken by that lens.

Now...to the long journey of reading the manual and getting acquainted with the camera. Oh, the other reason why I bought that is because it is light and compact. Just nice for a lady user . I was toying with the idea of getting a Panasonic G1, but the salesman dissuaded me from doing so. He asked me to wait for the micro four thirds to mature first.
    Remember to factor in other costs like dry cabinets, cleaning kits, spare batteries, etc...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site