Default Bokeh for beginners

any thread out there already have such info that I can go to? thanks

Just bought a D90 cos I think bokeh shots are cool

Default Re: Bokeh for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by chech01 View Post

Hey, check tis site out -> check here.

I've tried it out and it actually works, it's damn cute. However u need a lens with large aperture though, i'm using 50mm f1.8 for tis shot.

Last edited by Spikey86; 25th February 2009 at 11:06 PM.

Blog Entries

1st google bokeh to get the definition

You can feed the term 'bokeh' into the search engine of this site. You should have ample time to read it all

It's the lens, not the camera...
    Alpha

bokeh is basically the amount of DOF in a photo. or rather, in layman's terms, the blur blur background. haha.
    i don't bite. i shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by dynermite View Post
    bokeh is basically the amount of DOF in a photo. or rather, in layman's terms, the blur blur background. haha.
    Bokeh is the term used to describe the quality of background blur in a photo, not how blur (OOF) it is. Don't mix up Shallow DOF with Bokeh.

Cheers,
    JD
    Valentinik
    Canon 5DMK2 | 24-105 f/4L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100 f/2.8L IS Macro

Quote Originally Posted by dynermite View Post
    Don't try to define things if you don't know what it is.

Bokeh is the *quality* of the out-of focus areas. NOT the amount.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by valentinik View Post
    Bokeh is the term used to describe the quality of background blur in a photo, not how blur (OOF) it is. Don't mix up Shallow DOF with Bokeh.

Cheers,
    JD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Don't try to define things if you don't know what it is.

Bokeh is the *quality* of the out-of focus areas. NOT the amount.
    oh wow. you learn something new everyday. thanks for clearing my misconception.
    i don't bite. i shoot.

easiest way to play now if u r with kit lens i think is zoom all the way to 105, then set A to 5.6, select centre pt focus, then aim and shot... u shld get bokeh shots... but make sure ur subject and far away from the background...

I just tried mine few days ago and it was FUN!

This may help!

Quote Originally Posted by Dee88 View Post
    I just tried mine few days ago and it was FUN!

This may help!
    That's a discussion on shaped bokeh though, not "bokeh for beginners" in general.
    Alpha

Yes I understand that. Since the rest already explained that, I thought it would be nice to share on how they can explore more with bokeh.

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    easiest way to play now if u r with kit lens i think is zoom all the way to 105, then set A to 5.6, select centre pt focus, then aim and shot... u shld get bokeh shots... but make sure ur subject and far away from the background...
    My attempt with my 18-105 lens on a D90 is not so hot. Maybe I am too close to subject or my background is not too contrasting.

This is what I did:
    a. Turn off auto focus to manual
    b. settings was at A
    c. Tried with f3.5
    d. result was not as dramatic as what some others posted

anyone using the same equipment as mine and can give me some pointers to how they achieve it?

Thanks

if you can set your aperture to be f/3.5, that means you're at the widest focal length of 18mm.
    At that setting, you can't achieve a narrow enough depth of field to get nice out of focus background.
    So you need to zoom to the max 105mm (which corresponds to f/5.6), aim at an object nearby, and make sure that the distance between yourself and the object is MUCH less than the distance from the object to the background.

EXAMPLE:

You (cameraman) ------- Friend (subject) ------------------------------------------ Building (background)
    <-----------3m--------------->|<----------------------------300m--------------------------->|
    Last edited by ZerocoolAstra; 1st March 2009 at 03:23 PM.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    if you can set your aperture to be f/3.5, that means you're at the widest focal length of 18mm.
    At that setting, you can't achieve a narrow enough depth of field to get nice out of focus background.
    So you need to zoom to the max 105mm (which corresponds to f/5.6), aim at an object nearby, and make sure that the distance between yourself and the object is MUCH less than the distance from the object to the background.

EXAMPLE:

You (cameraman) ------- Friend (subject) ------------------------------------------ Building (background)
    <-----------3m--------------->|<----------------------------300m--------------------------->|
    thanks for the tip. I will try this out later. Hopefully I get a good bokeh else my investment on the new camera would be a waste cos my reason for a D90 was due to bokeh.

thanks for the tip. I will try this out later. Hopefully I get a good bokeh else my investment on the new camera would be a waste cos my reason for a D90 was due to bokeh.
    Actually, the bokeh would be more due to the lens than your camera. That being said, it's quite a narrow approach to get a camera/lens/accessory just for bokeh. There is more to photography than that.

As mentioned before, that's more due to the lens than the D90. If you wanted bokeh, you should have gotten any DSLR, even the cheapest second-hand one you can get, and a nice, cheap 50 or 85mm f/1.8.

That might have cost 500-600 SGD and gotten you the bokeh you want.
    Alpha

My attempt with my 18-105 lens on a D90 is not so hot. Maybe I am too close to subject or my background is not too contrasting.

This is what I did:
    a. Turn off auto focus to manual
    b. settings was at A
    c. Tried with f3.5
    d. result was not as dramatic as what some others posted

anyone using the same equipment as mine and can give me some pointers to how they achieve it?

Thanks
    see what zerocoolastra tells u... its about the same as wat i trying to tell u... for u case, as in lens, best bokeh can be achieve by f5.6 focal lenght at 105, distance between ur subject and background futherest apart... it can be done one, u just need more experience to achieve it... tot it will be limited by ur f5.6... if u hv some more budget, u can get most economical prime lens 50mm f1.8... new is less than 200...
    life is but a dream...

Here is my attempt..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast