Thread: problem with skyport and vivitar 285hv

Default problem with skyport and vivitar 285hv

hi everyone,
    i need some help from the master strobists here on my set up.
    The skyport works fine with the flash attached (via a flashzebra cord) to the canon 40d.
    After firing a few times, i would adjust the aperture or focus. But after this, the flash doesn't fire anymore. I checked the skyport, and the lights signal that the receiver and transmitter are reading each other. The flash is working fine too as indicated by the light. I even checked by firing it manually. The only solution is to switch off the camera and turn it on again. Then everything works again. Anyone out there knows what's going on here? would the repeated switching on/off spoilt my camera?

By the way the same thing happened with the PT04 too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Default Re: problem with skyport and vivitar 285hv

I'm perplexed.

Why would you need triggers, or a cord, if the flash is attached to your camera (on the hotshoe, I assume?)? Or if the flash is attached to the cam via the zebracord, again, why the need for the triggers?

Try firing the flash with the transmitter mounted on the hotshoe and see how it goes. Do not plug anything else into your camera. Hook the receiver onto your 285HV as appropriate.

If you're using the flash ON-CAM, take out all cords and keep your Skyports. If I'm not mistaken, you really don't need triggers to fire the 285HV mounted on-cam UNLESS you're doing a multi-flash set-up with one 285 mounted on-cam, and if that's the case, I would fire the on-cam flash as per normal, and plug the transmitter into the PC cord socket on the body.

sorry i wasn't clear..

i want to use the flash off camera, hence the skyport.
    To connect the vivitar to the receiver, i use zebracord.
    And the transmitter is on the camera's hotshoe.
    I guess this is how the off-camera flash set-up is supposed to work...
    maybe i got it all wrong....

Check to see if the frequency is set correctly (NOT the channels which is group 1, 2, 3 and 4). The 3 switches marked 'ON KE' should all be DOWN, closer towards the designation 'CH' on BOTH the transmitter AND receivers. IF they are not, the triggers sometimes work intermittenly, or not work at all. I was informed that the downward position is 'correct' for our region, whatever that means. LOL!

Also check the zebra cabel. I'm not familiar with that one, so I don't know if you need to use additional adapters with it. If YES, and it's the scwarny PW adapters, they are know to be highly fragile and fail. To get around that, I hard-wire all my cabels and solder them.

ONE other possibility is outside radio inteference. Unlikely, but a possibility, but I suspect something else with the cabling.

Let me know if it still doesn't work. If you're close to CP or Peninsula one of these days, I can meet you and help you check. Do you also have the original 285HV sync cord with you? Did you get your Skyport set from CP BTW?

thanks Dream Merchant....i'll try out all the options tonight
    I lost my vivitar sync cable...must be somewhere in the hse...
    got a friend to buy the skyport from bangkok...it was only abt sgd255.
    a lot cheaper than CP i hear...

Thanks for your advice again....

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    thanks Dream Merchant....i'll try out all the options tonight
    I lost my vivitar sync cable...must be somewhere in the hse...
    got a friend to buy the skyport from bangkok...it was only abt sgd255.
    a lot cheaper than CP i hear...

Thanks for your advice again....
    Yes much much cheaper

Jakarta even cheaper