Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

Lightbulb Re: I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

Silica gels and a air tight container like Lock n Lock is just good enough. and silica gels can be reuse again n again by microwaving them. no need for a bulky dry cabin and extra electricity. Have several containers to store the lens & body with at least 0.5-1cm high of silica gels in each container.

Default Re: I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

Quote Originally Posted by kohanson View Post
    I got my 36L digi-cabi dry cabinet from MS Color at AMK hub at $108. I feel save whenever my camera is in my dry cabinet and I do not have to worry of fungus growing in my lens. Prevention is better than cure
    i will try to get one over there asap by this week too..

Quote Originally Posted by calvinklein View Post
    Silica gels and a air tight container like Lock n Lock is just good enough. and silica gels can be reuse again n again by microwaving them. no need for a bulky dry cabin and extra electricity. Have several containers to store the lens & body with at least 0.5-1cm high of silica gels in each container.
    SO u dun need electricity to microwave the silica gels? The power consumption of a dry cabinet on 24hrs is much much low not to worry so much..

Quote Originally Posted by Omega23 View Post
    SO u dun need electricity to microwave the silica gels? The power consumption of a dry cabinet on 24hrs is much much low not to worry so much..
    Maybe he brings the silica gels to his work place and microwave there leh?

Guys, I know this sounds abit stupid but how do you know there's fungus growing in the camera body and lens, esp when you can't really spot them with your naked eye.....

It will be visible when the fungus grows from a speck to a cluster and finally the whole area. Mold will grow on circult board, rubber, glass, sensor and even your LV wallet and bag is left in moist warm area for long period.

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Guys, I know this sounds abit stupid but how do you know there's fungus growing in the camera body and lens, esp when you can't really spot them with your naked eye.....

I use a Toyogo box that is not air-tight. Must it be totally air-tight for the box+drying agent thingy to work?

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
    Actually u can spot it with yr naked eye.. If possible use a LED torch and shine in..

Not really, except that your dry agent will get use up faster. If you are using those clip on toy storage box, switch to thirsty hippo 600ml non packet form as silica will pink too soon. But don't spill the hippo of course. Just like a book shelf.

For few item owners, getting an airtight sandwich box and use packet agent or silica form should not be hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ixat View Post
    I use a Toyogo box that is not air-tight. Must it be totally air-tight for the box+drying agent thingy to work?

Just got my Canon 400D + 17-55mm back.
    Great service, the camera is good as new.

For those who are still thinking of getting or not, and you're mostly concern by the price,
    just think about it as paying over 5 years or more. It's "cheaper".

Just ordered mine Digi-Cab for $168. Over five years, it's like $30+ per year only.

The only reason why you shouldn't get is probably you don't have space to put the cabinet.

Quote Originally Posted by Parka View Post
    Just got my Canon 400D + 17-55mm back.
    Great service, the camera is good as new.

For those who are still thinking of getting or not, and you're mostly concern by the price,
    just think about it as paying over 5 years or more. It's "cheaper".

Just ordered mine Digi-Cab for $168. Over five years, it's like $30+ per year only.

The only reason why you shouldn't get is probably you don't have space to put the cabinet.
    make way for one lah.. is not like extremely big or whatsoever.
    Be Interesting

Majority of the advises are true. If you are investing on expensive lenses, what is another $100 to spare for a dry cabinet. But if you only have kitlens, not that i undervalue them or whatsoever, it's not practical anymore.

There is one good advise I read somewhere to prevent fungus from growing. Use your lenses regularly, if not often. Expose them to sunlight. Let sunlight pass thru the glasses.

Singapore weather is just to humid so dry box is a must. I've friends in Canada who never kept their cam in any box and it's fungus free one...
    Olympus E-P2, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm F2.8, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, FL-14 Flash

I only have a Canon 40D and 3 not so expensive lens. I don't have a dry cabinet to store them. No problem so far probably because I use them often ie. at least once a week. I am considering upgrading the body and get a new lens soon. Will likely get a basic dry cabinet then as recommended by friends and after reading this thread here.

could i store my internal harddisk n memory card in my drycabinet together with my cam n lens?
    Be Interesting

Cameras and lens (except one) are not radioactive, so you can put your HDD in the drycab.

Quote Originally Posted by nanochan1 View Post
    could i store my internal harddisk n memory card in my drycabinet together with my cam n lens?

Hi, I live in the west and would like to know if there's any recommended dealers to get a dry cabinet from.

Student here, so no car for traveling too far.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by climn View Post
    Hi, I live in the west and would like to know if there's any recommended dealers to get a dry cabinet from.

Student here, so no car for traveling too far.

Thanks.
    I got this email from Digi-Cabi makers. You can get them at...

MS Color(AMKHub) Alan Photo/Edison/Orient Photo/Song Brother (Sim Lim Square)
    Photocam(Peninsula Plaza), (John 3:16/Alan Photo /Song Brother (Funan It Mall)TK Foto(Shaw Tower)
    Mustafa (Mustafa Centre/Serangoon Plaza)NTUC Extra(AMK Hub/ Jurong Point)

Hi,
    I am currently using a normal dry box (not dry cabinet) with RH meter. Inside the box, I have some silica and also Hippo to absorb water vapour.
    I am wondering is it sufficient?

If it works, I am planning to get another of such box when I expand my equipment list.

Also, is there anyone who are using dry box (not dry cabinet), but still end up getting fungus in their lens?
    If there is, then it worries me...

Can I ask you a question. Why did you buy a drybox with RH meter. The meter is for product cosmetic purpose right?

Quote Originally Posted by clydez View Post
    Hi,
    I am currently using a normal dry box (not dry cabinet) with RH meter. Inside the box, I have some silica and also Hippo to absorb water vapour.
    I am wondering is it sufficient?

If it works, I am planning to get another of such box when I expand my equipment list.

Also, is there anyone who are using dry box (not dry cabinet), but still end up getting fungus in their lens?
    If there is, then it worries me...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast