Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

Default Re: I AM A NEWBIE!!! Is dry cabinet a must for DSLR?

just sent my D300 for repair. The mirror and lens kana fungus...

Body's fungus clean on the spot but my lens has to hospitalise for a week, damage at least $107.

And I am using only 1 lens that has never detach from the body...

Will buy a dry cabinet this weekend. Other than CP, anyone else can share where can i buy a 30-40L cabinet at less than $200? Preferably digital... Thanks i advance

Would you consider AIPO Dry Cabinet?

You may refer to http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...po+dry+cabinet

Hey i have another related question,
    Someone in this thread or another mention about storing LEATHER in dry cabinets, they would attract more fungus?
    1) Is this true?
    2) Isn't the Canon Camera Strap that comes free, a leather strap?

In this case, do u guys take the strap off before u store the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    Someone in this thread or another mention about storing LEATHER in dry cabinets, they would attract more fungus?
    1) Is this true?

Im keen to know too. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus7777777 View Post
    1) Is this true?

Just went to Canon service centre today and the guy said to remove the strap before storing.

Cloth, leather are easy places where fungus can grow. More so if you don't handle them regularly. E.g. You don't see a moldy strap if it's used regularly but it will grow mold easily if you don't use it.

I just came back from Canon Service Centre for camera and lens cleaning.
    It's a 400D and 17-55 lens that got infected. They were bought in 2007 July.

Total damage = $160 to get both cleaned.

It's really sad seeing them wrapped up in plastic bag by the service guy.
    They have taken great pictures and I had to send them in. Very sad...

I understand that dry box/cabinet is a must(at least for me) but since I been relocated (now working in Angola, Africa) I have no way to find silica gel or thirsty hippo.. I wonder there is any alternative for keeping my equipment fungus free

Thank you,

Get your colleague to send you a damp chaser. Do a search on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by likimikuku View Post
    I understand that dry box/cabinet is a must(at least for me) but since I been relocated (now working in Angola, Africa) I have no way to find silica gel or thirsty hippo.. I wonder there is any alternative for keeping my equipment fungus free

Thank you,

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Get your colleague to send you a damp chaser. Do a search on the web.
    it might took months... for the shipment to clear the custom... is 6 to 12 months...
    and i tot that for piano...how it work for camera??

6months, hmm, then you can check for local remedies. You can try carbon, they have anti fungal properties.

Before the time when photographers here boost about the wonders of electric dry cabinet, there was the drybox. Then came the damp chaser tube.

The DC tube constantly warms up the area, driving out moisture from vented cabinets just like piano, a wonderful tool which nobody seemed to know about other than their miraculous dry cabinets.

it might took months... for the shipment to clear the custom... is 6 to 12 months...

Dun listen to ppl who told you it is not a must for dry cabinet if you are living in this hot tropical humid region.... unless u use all yr gears or u on aircon 24 hrs i would rather get a proper dry cabinet.. do the settings and have a peace of mind. Instead of sending fungus infected lenses for cleaning costing much more money and affect its resale value.
    Last edited by Omega23; 29th December 2009 at 12:52 AM.

I live in an area with low humidity but will be visiting Singapore for about one month. Should I put a few packets of silica gel in my camera bag while I am in Singapore, just in case? Or is that too kiasu?

Quote Originally Posted by neech7 View Post
    I live in an area with low humidity but will be visiting Singapore for about one month. Should I put a few packets of silica gel in my camera bag while I am in Singapore, just in case? Or is that too kiasu?
    No i did that also... once u step out of our airport u will feel how humid our country is..

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    6months, hmm, then you can check for local remedies. You can try carbon, they have anti fungal properties.

Before the time when photographers here boost about the wonders of electric dry cabinet, there was the drybox. Then came the damp chaser tube.

The DC tube constantly warms up the area, driving out moisture from vented cabinets just like piano, a wonderful tool which nobody seemed to know about other than their miraculous dry cabinets.
    Thank... i will try to make a trip to the local shopping mall... there only 1 here... and vy far away...

I think it is. U already spent so much on your camera, might as well take care of it properly. Besides, dry cabinets so cheap nowadays .. I got a digital one 30litre digi-cabi for only $108. And it has a 5 year warranty.

The best protection against the effects of humidity is using yr cam often, and sometimes during sunshine hours. The UV helps eliminate spores.
    A dry-cab is good if you store for longer periods between shoots.

I find my cam usage goes from daily for a time then nothing for a while, so a dry-cab was bought. The investment is small compared to a cam set.
    Learning DSLR control http://stormtrigger.blogspot.com/

i am still quite new to dslr and not planning to invest in dry cab yet. what i am currently doing is putting a pack of silica gel beside my camera where ever i put it. most of the time it will be in my bag so i put a large packet of it in my bag.
    best thing about silica gel is you can recycle it. the normal silica gel we buy are blue in colour, once it turns pink means it won't be absorbing moisture anymore. all you have to do is heat it up in microwave or normal oven till it turns back to blue. then you can use it again.
    Photography Beginner...

I suddenly recall an alternative to silica gel.... ceramic beads (leca for example). Put in oven, they dried very fast and once exposed to moisture, they start absorbing. Clean ceramic beads is an alternative to silica gel as they don't break during re-heating and can withstand high temp.

The only problem is, you won't know when it is saturated.

Unless you are storing it in a aircon room 24/7

I got my 36L digi-cabi dry cabinet from MS Color at AMK hub at $108. I feel save whenever my camera is in my dry cabinet and I do not have to worry of fungus growing in my lens. Prevention is better than cure
    Canon 60D | EF-S 15-85mm | EF 50mm f1.8 | flickr

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast