Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which neckstrap to go for?

Default Re: Which neckstrap to go for?

I too second the Optech camera strap.

It is very comfortable and less likely to "cut" into your neck when you carry a heavy lens.

With my 1 Kilo D700 + 1 Kilo 14-24 Nikkor lens, I hardly feel the combined 2 kilo weight at all.

I'm using the plain coloured color strap as I don't like to become a walking signboard for camera companies.
    Last edited by Lord Soth; 24th February 2009 at 06:06 PM.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

First; trust your equipment. I got over the r strap "omg its falling" feel by shooting with it for a day or so.

Secondly, the camera does NOT bump into things. If you use the R strap properly, the camera, with my 70-300VR lens and flash, is in the small of your back. Or at least, sitting along my butt crack. This is a technique taught by one of the street photographers' courses that cathay photo organized last year.

That gentleman recommends that when you sling a normal camera strap over your arm, do not allow the camera to point out; rather, fit your arm through the strap with the lens pointing towards you, not away from you. And you can easily walk through crowds and stuff without the camera bumping into things, and best of all, people from the front are unable to tell that you are even carrying a camera.

Now, downsides of the r-strap:
    a) Inability of your camera to lie flat on a table top.
    b) Annoyingly when fiddling with tripods. I'm glad I rarely use tripods.

I've watched the youtube video regarding the R-strap, it seems very convenient too. However, I just can't overcome the 'I might drop off the camera' feeling. And also, prefer to have the camera in front of me instead of behind (waist/near the butt crack).

Having the camera behind the back may be good for streets and candids. But I don't think it's such a good idea for travelling, ie people may come from the back?

I'm not saying it's a bad strap, personal preference maybe? I'm more old school.

Quote Originally Posted by happyfrog View Post
    I've watched the youtube video regarding the R-strap, it seems very convenient too. However, I just can't overcome the 'I might drop off the camera' feeling.
    So, how long have you tried the R strap for? I was able to overcome the feeling very quickly - simply by looking for subjects to shoot. I thought it's be risky, but I had to try it out in order to know if it is good or bad; no review online or "what ifs" can compare to real world experience. And it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    So, how long have you tried the R strap for? I was able to overcome the feeling very quickly - simply by looking for subjects to shoot. I thought it's be risky, but I had to try it out in order to know if it is good or bad; no review online or "what ifs" can compare to real world experience. And it works great!
    Hmm... I tried it once at the a camera shop, and another time at an exhibition. Yup, I agree that it is easy. I guess things like this is very subjective. True, best to try out oursevles.

Quote Originally Posted by alvin View Post
    Now, downsides of the r-strap:
    a) Inability of your camera to lie flat on a table top.
    b) Annoyingly when fiddling with tripods. I'm glad I rarely use tripods.
    a) i place my camera on its side! simple problem simple solution!
    b) you can hook the strap hook to the D Ring of the tripod plates!
    Last edited by deklan; 24th February 2009 at 09:23 PM.

I own industry disgrace, 2 x Optech neck straps
    I felt Optech is still better for helping to reduce the weight....

If you want to be safe.
    you may want to try out this.

http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.ph...n=detail&id=16

Last edited by Rubber_Duck; 24th February 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    I own industry disgrace, 2 x Optech neck straps
    I felt Optech is still better for helping to reduce the weight....

If you want to be safe.
    you may want to try out this.

http://www.pac-safe.com/www/index.ph...n=detail&id=16

woo... slash proof.. US$19.99.. works out to be around S$30 as well.. anyone doing MO for this? :P
    flickr | Panasonic Lumix GF2 | Canon EOS 450D, 30D | Sony TX5

I'm using an Optech Pro/Pro Loop strap and I'm quite satisfied. Still comfortable after a long shoot.

sorry for a bit of off topic, but how do you guys carry your camera? Other then putting over your neck?

Quote Originally Posted by has91 View Post
    sorry for a bit of off topic, but how do you guys carry your camera? Other then putting over your neck?
    On a shoulder.

one more thing, if I were to get the Crumpler's Industrial Disgrace which is known to be erm how should I say it? Bulky? Yeah if I need to put it in a camera bag means I have to fold it or something like that right? Will it spoil the neckstrap?

Quote Originally Posted by melvinchia View Post
    woo... slash proof.. US$19.99.. works out to be around S$30 as well.. anyone doing MO for this? :P
    dont forget still got shipping cost to SG...shipping will increase the cost by another $5-10 per strap?

one more thing, if I were to get the Crumpler's Industrial Disgrace which is known to be erm how should I say it? Bulky? Yeah if I need to put it in a camera bag means I have to fold it or something like that right? Will it spoil the neckstrap?
    Let it stick out from your bag. May look messy, but its practical. Cos the strap will airdry by the time you get home.

tried optech and don't like it cos i feel it's too bouncy. prefer a matin strap
    eat. drink. shoot

i've got a matin bagstrap (on my lowepro rezo 190AW), an optech camerastrap (on my 30D), and a canon stock strap (on my 450D)..
    flickr | Panasonic Lumix GF2 | Canon EOS 450D, 30D | Sony TX5

Im really interested to get the Black Rapid r strap......

but the thoughts of having to remove the fastener whenever i want to mount my cam on a tripod really puts me off.
    and ... and i don't see myself spending $80+ for a few metal clip and a strap.

Guess I'll just stick with my free strap untill a genius comes out with a fantastic idea or i'll make do with the "best" in the market.

pls ..this ting dont just spoil just like that....

just bought the black rapid strap from cathay photo.. its a nice strap! secures nicely to my battery grip.. only downside is that its in the way of a proper grip when shooting vertically using the battery grip

Quote Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
    just bought the black rapid strap from cathay photo.. its a nice strap! secures nicely to my battery grip.. only downside is that its in the way of a proper grip when shooting vertically using the battery grip
    Yeah. I've got a workaround for that, and that's to hold the regular grip, but instead of bringing your arm up to portrait position, drop your right arm to portrait position, so your right palm is supporting the camera. Can visualise?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast