Thread: Extension tube.....

Default Extension tube.....

Anybody care to explain how extension tube works for macro photography.. I have always been using CloseUp filters, which give me a very small working distance from the subject.. What difference does an extension tube make??
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

Ext tube will allow your lens to focus closer than it's current min focusing distance. It has no glass, so, there will be no degrade in image quality. You will loose your infinity focusing when ext tube is attached.

It will only work for D/SLR

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper
    Ext tube will allow your lens to focus closer than it's current min focusing distance. It has no glass, so, there will be no degrade in image quality. You will loose your infinity focusing when ext tube is attached.

So, you are saying that it will change my minimum and maximum focussing distance, and still maintain AF??? So, is using Ext tube a better means in taking macro photography compared to using CloseUp filters??(I will have more working distance as compared to a strict 25cm on CloseUp)

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Pepper
    It will only work for D/SLR
    Thanks for reminding me that...
    Sony a7rii + Batis 2/25
    Gitzo 1530 + Markins Q3

So, you are saying that it will change my minimum and maximum focussing distance, and still maintain AF???
    It will change your min focusing distance and make it closer. Your max focusing distance will not be infinity already.

So, is using Ext tube a better means in taking macro photography compared to using CloseUp filters??(I will have more working distance as compared to a strict 25cm on CloseUp)
    It will be better in a sense that there will not be any degrade in image quality, but you might find it troublesome since you magnification will be fixed depends on the length of ext tube attached. To change magnification, you need to replace, add or combine set of the ext tubes to get the deisred magnification.

The formula is Magnification = Ext tube length / Lens focal length

Thanks for reminding me that...
    Yah, because I saw that you're using fuji 602Z from your profile.

Hope it helps.