Thread: Anyone here bought a HP computer b4?

Default Anyone here bought a HP computer b4?

Hihi

Would like hear opinions on their customer service, quality of computer, etc. My computer giving me problems again thus considering getting a new computer. Saw one promo recently.
    I think $1299 for
    - amd 2600+
    - 256 ram
    - 40 gig hard disk
    - integrated graphic(geforce 4) and sound
    - 15" TFT lcd monitor
    - cdrw

Worth getting?

Thanks.

Default HP desktop

Hi,
    my advice to you is NOT to get a HP desktop. My sister's HP pc was quite a nasty experience. HP's QC is simply quite bad. I think Sim Lim Square Skylet's PC has even better QC then them and I am sure they can beat HP's price with the same configuration below.

Full spec is here:

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+
    QuantiSpeed architecture outperforms competitive 2.6GHz Processor
    Memory: 256MB DDR SDRAM, expandable to 2GB
    Hard Drive: 40GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA/100
    Floppy Drive: 1.44MB Diskette Drive
    Optical Drive: Dual monitor support with nVIDIA nView multi-display software 48x CD-ROM
    Graphics: Integrated nVIDIA GeForece4 MX graphics
    Audio: Integrated Soundmax AC97 audio with Premium internal speakers
    Networking Device: Integrated 3Com Fast Ethernet
    Warranty: 3 Year parts, 1 Year labour and 1 year on-site service

Price:$1299...

Pls advise.

Quote Originally Posted by pHi
    Hi,
    my advice to you is NOT to get a HP desktop. My sister's HP pc was quite a nasty experience. HP's QC is simply quite bad. I think Sim Lim Square Skylet's PC has even better QC then them and I am sure they can beat HP's price with the same configuration below.
    Hmm... So was the customer service responsive?

Anyone?

hii,

i have a hp pentium1 pc...i tink the prev batches of hp pc were really realiable. cos my hp is still working...perfectly fine. i called up their hp ctr once when my system decided to boot up properly and the hp people were pretty responsive. i dunno about the newer hp ones though...heard bad experiences from a couple of frens

Deregistered

HP used to have 4 different lines of PC, each with a different design/marketing/sales team. As a result it is like 4 different brands of PC, with 4 totally different user experience.

3 of them have been discontinued since the merger with compaq. The remaining one is the pavilion.

Compaq has also several lines, but after some consolidation and reorg both before and after merger they are left with 2 : Evo and Presario.

If you can support the system yourself, go build your own, but if you can't, HP is one of the brands that can be consider. Service is considered quite good in the industry (but obviously there will be someone with a horror story), but if your PC is out of warranty, you'll pay big bucks for repairs, so if you do get HP (or Compaq), make sure you have a warranty that will cover the useful life of the PC.

From a support (and reliability) point of view, Evo is the best among the 3 remaining lines but you won't see them as much as they are targeted mainly towards coporate users.

Hope that helps.

I don't recommend hp if you think you're ever going to upgrade your computer. They love to use non-standard stuff and always a headache to repair or upgrade. But i really have to give credit to hp for having their great customer service. One of the best after sales service around.

I actually recommand dell. Thou i heard alot of bad comments about their computer, non of my friends using it have encountered major problems with it before.

Of course, it would be best if you could find a friend in this field to custom one for you. Just remember to treat him to the BCM and teh-O at the basement of sls when it is all done.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Poon
    I don't recommend hp if you think you're ever going to upgrade your computer. They love to use non-standard stuff and always a headache to repair or upgrade. But i really have to give credit to hp for having their great customer service. One of the best after sales service around.

I actually recommand dell. Thou i heard alot of bad comments about their computer, non of my friends using it have encountered major problems with it before.

Of course, it would be best if you could find a friend in this field to custom one for you. Of coarse just remember to treat him to the BCM and teh-O at the basement of sls when it is all done.
    Actually the non-standard part was a problem for every big PC maker, but it is different now. With the current market forces at work and cost cutting pressure that the PC makers are facing, they could no longer afford not to use standard parts. With the exception for casing and motherboard, you can replace/upgrade just about everything. And even that is _usually_ technically standard, except that it is not the same standard that you can find in SLS.

The big problem about getting a friend to build one for you is the after sales service. Sometimes, you'll bound to need some help.........So, unless you are close friends it might not be a good idea..........

I have a friend who has HP PCs in his company. the word is that if you really want to buy HP then pay extra for 3 years parts and labour warranty - sure need it one. When it breaks down, you have to carry it in to Alexandra Technopark and if you have above warranty, they will return it to you foc.

However, after 3 years ... ?

Thanks for all the contributions. Keep them coming.
    I will definitely go for the 3 yrs on site warranty if getting from them. However, bad thing is that u cannot upgrade any parts else warranty void. Any comments on the configuration above? Isit value for money? My main concern custom made pc is the after sale support. I reeally dun want to get stressed up over what went wrong.

dear sir,

you predicament certainly reminds me of myself some years back when I was deciding whether or not to buy a "customer-support" computer or a self-built one.

i didn't know no **** about computers then and a really kind soul came by to help me set up my virgin desktop. DARREN TEO from TEMASEK HALL... if you're here... i thank you with my utmost gratitude...

rule of thumb? just get the self-built one. you'll save on parts and labour. it take less than an hour to start playing your Medal of Honour from the moment you unpack the monitor

plus it offers you maximum flexibility on the type of cards you wanna include on your motherboard. you'll definitely save at least $300 and more when you build your own computer for the same specs. *sorry guys from HP*

but if you wanna continue using a piece of technology and not bother about how things work.. then get your hp and stuff. dell is not bad too. first year on-site labour and parts. but think 2nd year and third year onwards must bring the wretched computer to the frickin factory and brave $25 on taxi to-and-fro :P

cheers.

One more comment, first post got 15" TFT LCD mon, and next post dun have. For $1299, with TFT is good buy, dun forget extended warranty. If no TFT then goodbye!