Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: sb600 functions on D60

  1. #1

    Default sb600 functions on D60

    can all the functions on sb600 usable on D60? like the remote flash? D60 don't have commander mode....

  2. #2
    Senior Member ZerocoolAstra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    rainy Singapore
    Posts
    9,523

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    ahh yes.. SB600 in wireless mode is incompatible with the D60's pop-up flash.
    You have to mount the SB800/900 or the wireless commander SU800 to get wireless functionality.
    Exploring! :)

  3. #3

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    ic...im noob. D60 pop up flash will flash with sb600? cannot deactivate its pop up flash?

  4. #4
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    Let's look at both the D60 and SB-600 to understand what it can or cannot do:

    D50, D40/x, D60
    - does not have commander mode for CLS
    - has pop-up flash

    D70/s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700
    - has commander mode for CLS
    - has pop up flash

    SB-600
    - does not have commander mode for CLS
    - able to work as a CLS slave
    - does not have SU-4 optical slave trigger mode

    SB-800 / SB-900
    - has commander mode for CLS
    - has SU-4 optical trigger mode

    Based on the above, the D60 is unable to trigger the SB-600 wirelessly in anyway. the CLS commander mode can control other CLS flashes, so if you buy a SB-800 or SB-900 and mount it on yoru D60, you can now trigger your SB-600 wirelessly as a CLS slave with the SB-800 as master.

    However, the D70/s category of cameras has the commander mode and is able to trigger the SB-600 wirelessly via the built-in onboard camera pop-up flash.

    Because the SB-600 does not have the SU-4 optical slave trigger mode, you cannot use your pop-up flash to optically trigger your SB-600.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  5. #5

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    does it mean tat spending money on SB600 to put on a D60 is not worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by geraldkhoo View Post
    Let's look at both the D60 and SB-600 to understand what it can or cannot do:

    D50, D40/x, D60
    - does not have commander mode for CLS
    - has pop-up flash

    D70/s, D80, D90, D200, D300, D700
    - has commander mode for CLS
    - has pop up flash

    SB-600
    - does not have commander mode for CLS
    - able to work as a CLS slave
    - does not have SU-4 optical slave trigger mode

    SB-800 / SB-900
    - has commander mode for CLS
    - has SU-4 optical trigger mode

    Based on the above, the D60 is unable to trigger the SB-600 wirelessly in anyway. the CLS commander mode can control other CLS flashes, so if you buy a SB-800 or SB-900 and mount it on yoru D60, you can now trigger your SB-600 wirelessly as a CLS slave with the SB-800 as master.

    However, the D70/s category of cameras has the commander mode and is able to trigger the SB-600 wirelessly via the built-in onboard camera pop-up flash.

    Because the SB-600 does not have the SU-4 optical slave trigger mode, you cannot use your pop-up flash to optically trigger your SB-600.

  6. #6

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    any1 can tell me if the sb600 will flash with the D60 pop flash? or can i juz use the sb600's flash without using the pop up flash?

  7. #7
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    does it mean tat spending money on SB600 to put on a D60 is not worth it?
    Of course not... my first camera is the D40x and I bought the SB600 to use with it. I have since upgraded my camera but the flash is still with me. The pop-up flash is not powerful enough if you shoot events, and that is where the SB600 would come in handy.

    It is only not worth spending the money if you do not know yoru equipment, what it can and cannot do, and what you want to do with it.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

  8. #8
    Senior Member geraldkhoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Tiny Red Dot
    Posts
    2,571

    Default Re: sb600 functions on D60

    Quote Originally Posted by baggiolee View Post
    any1 can tell me if the sb600 will flash with the D60 pop flash? or can i juz use the sb600's flash without using the pop up flash?
    What do you mean when you ask "any1 can tell me if the sb600 will flash with the D60 pop flash?" You asked this question previously "D60 pop up flash will flash with sb600?", and what I assumed is that you were asking if you can trigger the SB600 with your D60 pop-up flash. Since you are asking again, I presume that I did not understand what you are asking.

    If you mount the SB600 on the D60 hotshoe, how does the pop up flash pop up to work? You can of course use the SB600 flash without the pop up flash by mounting it on the hotshoe.
    Last edited by geraldkhoo; 23rd February 2009 at 09:01 AM.
    A picture tells a thousand words... make yours speak a million!
    My Flickr | My Blog

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •