Thread: Clarke quay at night

Default Clarke quay at night

Hi all, I like to be critiqued on the following picture on the composition and exposure.
    This picture was taken on the bridge at Clarke Quay around 8pm. The idea behind the shot was to capture the buildings along Singapore river hoping to showcase a view of the nightlife at the location.

Should I have included more buildings on the left and right sides?
    From the picture, it seems like the river has transformed to a concrete floor? or is it just me?
    Would a longer exposure bring out a more vibrant feel of the buildings?

This is my first panaroma shot taken on the Fz8. A total of 3 shots were taken and subsequently merged in photoshop. By the way, would a 10-20mm (not on FF body) be able to capture this picture in one shot ?

Thanks in advance.
    Panasonic Lumix FZ-8 | 一言を持って、その賢愚を知る............

Default Re: Clarke quay at night

this is one of the more decent pictures i've seen. if there were more river taxis moving around and you captured a longer light trail it would be nice. other than that, it's pretty good..
    masamri.amir
    |project.photoworks|

Thank you for the comments.
    Would a 10-20mm (not on FF body) be able to capture this picture in one shot ? Anyone able to help me with this ?

Thanks

In my opinion, i will prefer a longer exposure timing for 2 reasons.

1) Generally the photo looks abit dark (but decent). A longer exposure time will brighten the buildings and the skies, that will look nicer.

2) A longer exposure time will lead to a long trail of the water taxi lights, that would have been nicer.

Composition of the shot is fine, in fact not too bad!

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post
    Would a 10-20mm (not on FF body) be able to capture this picture in one shot ? Anyone able to help me with this ?

Thanks
    hi, i am assuming you meant the 10-22mm? i have not tried nor have the equip to try, but i would think that it should be able to capture what you have, even on a 1.5/1.6 crop. i have seen FF ultra wide stretch much more than that ...
    Last edited by jeremyteocx; 1st March 2009 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    In my opinion, i will prefer a longer exposure timing for 2 reasons.

1) Generally the photo looks abit dark (but decent). A longer exposure time will brighten the buildings and the skies, that will look nicer.

2) A longer exposure time will lead to a long trail of the water taxi lights, that would have been nicer.

Composition of the shot is fine, in fact not too bad!
    Ts wants to show nightlife in sg so i think this is kind of ok..
    a longer shutter, will bring in more light and thus will make it look as if its dusk time..

However, the nightlife on the pic doesnt really show, people dining, clubbing, chilling, etc..
    So if someone abroad sees this, they dont really know what is happening at this area..
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

my eyes shift from left to right and found no place to focus.
    i dun like the composition.
    the exposure is decent.

perhaps a tighter crop would be better. u need to find a subject to shoot. a subject that will draw you and ur viewers to it. that will value add to ur photo. if the boat is ur subject and make it larger and get rid of other distraction.

and is it me or my com? i see the dividing line in the sky on the top left of the pic. making me confuse.

If nightmare would drop by and give some of his opinion you will be lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by andante View Post

Should I have included more buildings on the left and right sides?
    From the picture, it seems like the river has transformed to a concrete floor? or is it just me?
    Would a longer exposure bring out a more vibrant feel of the buildings?

This is my first panaroma shot taken on the Fz8. A total of 3 shots were taken and subsequently merged in photoshop. By the way, would a 10-20mm (not on FF body) be able to capture this picture in one shot ?

Thanks in advance.
    i cannot really comment on the stitching, much too small to say for sure. but i notice that the verticals are generally corrected, which is good. the small things matter quite a lot, more than most people give them credit for.

as i will always say, if the light is not right perhaps it is better not to shoot. right here the sky is really too dark for me; i am not a fan of black skies, even if there are clouds. it is hard for anyone (i would think) to find a sense of beauty in black skies. there is also the added problem of "floating ghost lights" from the less well-lit or further buildings - here you have swissotel looking like a wraith, and floating blue lights from the riverfront area. perhaps if you go back during an earlier timing (before the sky is dark) or in the morning (with the added bonus of possible still water like here).

the exposure here is tricky, and this is probably the best compromise you can get at this timing, but why compromise? why not go during a more suitable timing?

a longer exposure would result in blown out highlights, something that is not very desirable. once again, an alternate timing would avoid this problem.

10-20mm on APS-C sensor body will probably still need stitching horizontally. vertically more than possible, but if you look at the shots i took in the thread linked, it will be "not here not there" for this view. the central tower will still not be included in full for a single horizontal frame, which is a pity.

why would you want to include "more buildings"? think of what the resultant picture would be like. do you think it will be too much for the eye to behold? at present i already think there are far too many elements to take in, in an haphazard arrangement.

as for composition; i am really not a fan of this view, having been there myself a number of times. the cranes that house the "ride" in the distance are the problem. but this is a pretty alright picture for this view at that time, i don't think you could have done much more. do try going back during a better timing, maybe you might get something you can like better.
    Last edited by night86mare; 4th March 2009 at 09:15 AM.

this is a very bad stitch.

1) giant umbrella kana chop
    2) the left most crane of G-Max also kana chop
    3) High Street Centre is badly joined
    4) SOHO at Central Mall is also badly joined

you may want to try using a free ware "HUGIN" to stitch.

maybe shooting earlier would have been better to get brighter sky as well as the buildings and structures.

the amount of sky to me is good, the height is no covering the buildings ontop of Central Mall nicely.

suggest to clone away the antenna at the Fort Canning Park.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

i think this is a very nice shot... always tough to do a panaromic at night..

however, apart from the technicalities... IMHO, it's about your idea.

"idea behind the shot was to capture the buildings along Singapore river hoping to showcase a view of the nightlife at the location."

Capture Buildings (along Singapore river) to Showcase Nightlife at Location.

Without looking at the photo, now having been at that location... now, wherever u r, can you compose AN image in your mind? What would it look like to CAPTURE your Idea?

"Capture Buildings (along Singapore river) to Showcase Nightlife at Location".

If you just wanted to "Showcase Nightlife at Location", I'm sure your choice of subjects would be different...

Your idea is "Capture Buildings (along Singapore river) to Showcase Nightlife at Location".

In your mind, how do you envision it?.. now u may want to go out and shoot again with an "image" in your mind hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i cannot really comment on the stitching, much too small to say for sure. but i notice that the verticals are generally corrected, which is good. the small things matter quite a lot, more than most people give them credit for.

as i will always say, if the light is not right perhaps it is better not to shoot. right here the sky is really too dark for me; i am not a fan of black skies, even if there are clouds. it is hard for anyone (i would think) to find a sense of beauty in black skies. there is also the added problem of "floating ghost lights" from the less well-lit or further buildings - here you have swissotel looking like a wraith, and floating blue lights from the riverfront area. perhaps if you go back during an earlier timing (before the sky is dark) or in the morning (with the added bonus of possible still water like here).

the exposure here is tricky, and this is probably the best compromise you can get at this timing, but why compromise? why not go during a more suitable timing?

a longer exposure would result in blown out highlights, something that is not very desirable. once again, an alternate timing would avoid this problem.

10-20mm on APS-C sensor body will probably still need stitching horizontally. vertically more than possible, but if you look at the shots i took in the thread linked, it will be "not here not there" for this view. the central tower will still not be included in full for a single horizontal frame, which is a pity.

why would you want to include "more buildings"? think of what the resultant picture would be like. do you think it will be too much for the eye to behold? at present i already think there are far too many elements to take in, in an haphazard arrangement.

as for composition; i am really not a fan of this view, having been there myself a number of times. the cranes that house the "ride" in the distance are the problem. but this is a pretty alright picture for this view at that time, i don't think you could have done much more. do try going back during a better timing, maybe you might get something you can like better.
    Thank you for the helpful comments!
    The idea behind the shot was to show what singapore river looks like during the night time. Which is why i wanted to show the buildings along singapore river. The central building was fully captured, but not the bars on the left side. Hence I was wondering if including more would have produced a more balanced shot.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    this is a very bad stitch.

1) giant umbrella kana chop
    2) the left most crane of G-Max also kana chop
    3) High Street Centre is badly joined
    4) SOHO at Central Mall is also badly joined

you may want to try using a free ware "HUGIN" to stitch.

maybe shooting earlier would have been better to get brighter sky as well as the buildings and structures.

the amount of sky to me is good, the height is no covering the buildings ontop of Central Mall nicely.

suggest to clone away the antenna at the Fort Canning Park.
    Thanks for the comments and the intro to the freeware. Will check it out later.
    I was thinking if i shot it at an earlier time, would the lights from the building be able to show more nicely ?

cloning would be good but would that result in a 'fake' photo ? this is subjective perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by hannson View Post
    i think this is a very nice shot... always tough to do a panaromic at night..

however, apart from the technicalities... IMHO, it's about your idea.

"idea behind the shot was to capture the buildings along Singapore river hoping to showcase a view of the nightlife at the location."

Capture Buildings (along Singapore river) to Showcase Nightlife at Location.

Without looking at the photo, now having been at that location... now, wherever u r, can you compose AN image in your mind? What would it look like to CAPTURE your Idea?

"Capture Buildings (along Singapore river) to Showcase Nightlife at Location".

If you just wanted to "Showcase Nightlife at Location", I'm sure your choice of subjects would be different...

Your idea is "Capture Buildings (along Singapore river) to Showcase Nightlife at Location".

In your mind, how do you envision it?.. now u may want to go out and shoot again with an "image" in your mind hope it helps
    If i were to ask, how would you go about taking a shot with this title ? just for sharing ideas.
    thanks

The following is my humble opinion.

Overall I feel there are more to be desired from this photograph.

First of all, the composition doesn't quite fit the title. If the focus is on Clarke Quay, then the Central building doesn't gives me that feeling. Although it is part of Clarke Quay, but I feel the restaurants on the left makes better composition and tells more about Clarke Quay. So If you can move more to the right and give the left side more focus will make better composition. If we disregard the title, then what I see is quite a feature balanced photography with nothing much to catch my attention. I basically just scan left and right just to see what I wanna see. You didn't tell me what I should be looking at. Based on luminosity, I will say the Central makes a more prominent building due to the amount of light it's giving off, which I suppose that isn't your intention on what I should be looking at right ?

The sky isn't attractive to me. Like nightmare has mentioned, a dusk will make a better timing. Dawn is good for a more tranquil but doesn't quite fit the feel of clarke quay which is a place where crowd exists.

The boat trails need to be longer, now it looks like a broom in the middle. Doesn't look right.

If you face the left more, then a longer exposure will bring out the darkness more, since you have focus on the left, than over exposure on the right which is more or less out of the frame isn't bother much. If you did in the dusk, then you don't actually need too long an exposure.

That's my take
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw