Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 54

Thread: $90 waiver?

  1. #21

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    I think the hospital is right to charge the person the hospital fees on that day or that moment.

    However, the hospital should consider waiving it as a gesture of good will upon confirming the deed.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I think you need to read the story before commenting
    dunno... jacob best, gimme summary... u din, and u know the story yet dun share...

    man got injured when saving girl - 90 bucks
    girl got saved by man - priceless
    man got award - prizeworthy
    vince123123 dun share story with Del_CtrlnoAlt - pissed off...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    I think the hospital is right to charge the person the hospital fees on that day or that moment.

    However, the hospital should consider waiving it as a gesture of good will upon confirming the deed.
    yup so true...

    imagine if hospital just give every single guy out there who say they tried to save something and got hurt, free waiver. i guess our hospital bills going to go another notch higher.

    besides that, in singapore, i don't think you need to pay before you are admitted unlike other countries that need cash deposits or insurances.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  4. #24

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    yup so true...

    imagine if hospital just give every single guy out there who say they tried to save something and got hurt, free waiver. i guess our hospital bills going to go another notch higher.

    besides that, in singapore, i don't think you need to pay before you are admitted unlike other countries that need cash deposits or insurances.
    At the point in time, the case was handled by a casher. They are employed just to do the job i.e. collect money. However when if was reported in the press, accordingly to the press, the spokeman said .... ba...ba...ba. SGh had sufficient time to react.

    They just missed the opportunity to market their image instead they receive negative feedback for just $90?

  5. #25
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Nice shifting of the burden onto me to make sure you read the story just so that you can comment?

    This is the first time I've encountered this type of rebuttal and indeed, it can make history. I'll be sure to remember this as a negative example for my employees each time they make a mistake because they didn't read up on the clients' case history kekeke.

    I'll also like to add a last line to your cute little poem:

    Del-CtrlnoAlt not doing proper background reading before commenting and shifting burden to vince123123 to educate him so that he can comment - historical!

    Hehehhe

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    dunno... jacob best, gimme summary... u din, and u know the story yet dun share...

    man got injured when saving girl - 90 bucks
    girl got saved by man - priceless
    man got award - prizeworthy
    vince123123 dun share story with Del_CtrlnoAlt - pissed off...

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Nice shifting of the burden onto me to make sure you read the story just so that you can comment?

    This is the first time I've encountered this type of rebuttal and indeed, it can make history. I'll be sure to remember this as a negative example for my employees each time they make a mistake because they didn't read up on the clients' case history kekeke.

    I'll also like to add a last line to your cute little poem:

    Del-CtrlnoAlt not doing proper background reading before commenting and shifting burden to vince123123 to educate him so that he can comment - historical!

    Hehehhe
    your line so long, not poem liao... urs = essay...

    so still dun wanna link the report?

    i din know your law firm so big... so i set precedence liao... next time feed me ok?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  7. #27
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Can't link leh, I'm not an ST subscriber. You got paid account lend me I login and then link for you?

    Next time feed you arh? Okay lor, I dont mind, but first can you set as a sticky that everyone can now request to be spoonfed as well? Cos I don't want to see people posting asking other people to use Google leh! Want to help must help everyone mah, else I kena marked say why biased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    your line so long, not poem liao... urs = essay...

    so still dun wanna link the report?

    i din know your law firm so big... so i set precedence liao... next time feed me ok?
    Last edited by vince123123; 23rd February 2009 at 01:23 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    Can't link leh, I'm not an ST subscriber. You got paid account lend me I login and then link for you?

    Next time feed you arh? Okay lor, can you set as a sticky that everyone can now request to be spoonfed as well? Cos I don't want to see people posting asking other people to use Google leh! Want to help must help everyone mah, else I kena marked say why biased.
    hmm, whats the keywords to use to search with google on this ar?

    men-save-drowning-girl-pay-90?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    1.45N 103.83E
    Posts
    3,202

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    link to the story

    http://health.asiaone.com/Health/New...20-123465.html


    Just incase some ppl dunno how to follow link, extracted here.



    He gets hurt while saving woman from drowning but...

    By Judith Tan

    A BIT of drama in the sea off the Esplanade on Sunday evening has made an accidental hero out of a visiting Dutchman.

    When information technology executive Filip Lou, 34, saw a Caucasian woman leap into the waters near the Merlion statue that evening, he stripped down to his briefs and jumped in after her.

    By the time the police and emergency-support vehicles turned up, he had already made it to the bank and was climbing out of the water with her.

    After all that drama, though, he was to find himself billed for getting the cuts on his hands and feet seen to in a hospital emergency room.

    The price of his heroism? $90.

    Speaking to The Straits Times on the telephone on Tuesday, he said he was walking towards One Fullerton with his friends after dinner when he saw the woman perched on the railing.

    He said he yelled at her not to jump, but she did so anyway.

    'So I grabbed the life buoy and threw it in after her but she did not make any attempt to hold on,' he recalled.

    Mr Lou, who works in an IBM company in Sydney and is here for about a week for a work-related conference, passed his cellphone and wallet to his friends, took off his clothes and jumped in.

    He said the woman was neither on drugs nor drunk.

    She gave her name as Annika and let on that her boyfriend had just broken off their relationship.

    'She said she had nothing else to live for. I tried to counsel her while floating in the cold, dark waters till the rescue team arrived a few minutes later,' he said.

    The police and the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) confirmed that a call about two people being in the river came at 9pm, and that two fire engines, two support vehicles and an ambulance were sent out.

    Mr Lou said of the cuts he picked up while on the rough stone steps on the waters' edge: 'I was not aware that my feet were bleeding and leaving bloody footprints on the sidewalk. I was more concerned with people photographing me in my underwear!'

    He said he and the woman were taken to the Singapore General Hospital (SGH), where his wounds were cleaned, treated and bandaged. He was also given a tetanus shot.

    He was disappointed at being asked to pay $90, but said he understood that it was late and the woman behind the counter was 'just doing her job'.

    'It was not up to her to waive the fees but I had just risked my life to save a stranger. Is this really standard policy? I was quite disappointed,' he said.

    When approached, an SGH spokesman said it is unable to waive fees for medical treatment rendered.

    Most other public hospitals said they also did not have a policy of waiving treatment fees in such situations, but an Alexandra Hospital spokesman said it would approach it on a case-by-case basis.

    The SGH spokesman declined comment on the woman's condition, citing patient confidentiality. The police also declined to say more, since investigations were going on.

    For his act of bravery, the SCDF presented an award to Mr Lou on Wednesday.

    Despite being out of pocket by $90, his view on doing the right thing has hardly been dampened.

    Asked if he would do it again, given the same circumstances, he replied: 'Definitely.'

    f18

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    deswitch, thanks!
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSwitch View Post
    He was disappointed at being asked to pay $90, but said he understood that it was late and the woman behind the counter was 'just doing her job'.

    'It was not up to her to waive the fees but I had just risked my life to save a stranger. Is this really standard policy? I was quite disappointed,' he said.

    When approached, an SGH spokesman said it is unable to waive fees for medical treatment rendered.

    Most other public hospitals said they also did not have a policy of waiving treatment fees in such situations, but an Alexandra Hospital spokesman said it would approach it on a case-by-case basis.
    well, above already said it all, standard procedure...

    what could've been done probably is SCDF offer him a waiver or refund instead since accompanied with the award. either cash back by cheque or debit return from CC @ SGH.

    1 good thing being credited badly to another... well, i'd say, its courageous for the guy to jump into the river without 2nd thoughts. that should be reported instead of this minor side issue.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  12. #32
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    I do recall reading that some people take the view that it is okay to have a standard policy, which will fit 99% of circumstances, and standard policies are necessary for efficient running of an organisation.

    What I do believe those who took issue was regarding the fact that a standard policy is non-negotiable, ie its unmovable. Many standard polices have been excepted, but in this case, the standard policy would be better termed as "standard with no exceptions".

  13. #33
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    For someone who has used Google to reply to many member's questions here, I really am surprised you need to ask me this question.

    And in case you misunderstood, my point was not about Googling. It was used merely as a parallel and analogy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    hmm, whats the keywords to use to search with google on this ar?

    men-save-drowning-girl-pay-90?

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    For someone who has used Google to reply to many member's questions here, I really am surprised you need to ask me this question.

    And in case you misunderstood, my point was not about Googling. It was used merely as a parallel and analogy.
    well, for someone who always wanna continue to quarrel with everything and anything, i let u win lah...

    but then again, search my post in regards to google... think u mistake me for your other frens...

    besides that, google analogy is for commonly asked question. i'm asking you for specific referral.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  15. #35
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    There's no need to win or lose, I would think that you're actually the one trying to quarrel with me. In any case, unlike you, I do not regard this as a battle, or win or lose.

    I've done the search before I made the comment - I do not do things blindly or say things without being able to back them up.

    I know you've asked for specific information on how to do a google search to locate this article. This request has been responded to. The last observation was merely to inform you that if you wish me to feed you, could you also encourage the rest of the members here that feeding is acceptable, because honestly, I do not agree with the practice of members asking other members to do searches; and hence notice that I didn't ask you to do the same.

    If it makes you feel better, just substitute the words "use Google" in my previous post to "do searches".



    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    well, for someone who always wanna continue to quarrel with everything and anything, i let u win lah...

    but then again, search my post in regards to google... think u mistake me for your other frens...

    besides that, google analogy is for commonly asked question. i'm asking you for specific referral.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    There's no need to win or lose, I would think that you're actually the one trying to quarrel with me. In any case, unlike you, I do not regard this as a battle, or win or lose.

    I've done the search before I made the comment - I do not do things blindly or say things without being able to back them up.

    I know you've asked for specific information on how to do a google search to locate this article. This request has been responded to. The last observation was merely to inform you that if you wish me to feed you, could you also encourage the rest of the members here that feeding is acceptable, because honestly, I do not agree with the practice of members asking other members to do searches; and hence notice that I didn't ask you to do the same.

    If it makes you feel better, just substitute the words "use Google" in my previous post to "do searches".
    yawn... i've already said, u win... u wan me to hold a prize giving ceremony?
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  17. #37
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Not necessary, as I've said, unlike you, I do not regard this as a win-lose battle or see the need to pass pointed remarks to provoke another (whether intentionally or unintentionally).

    In my view, since there's no new points to be made, and previous points already made and understood, we can agree to disagree and leave this be.

    The readers will read and draw their own independent conclusions.

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    yawn... i've already said, u win... u wan me to hold a prize giving ceremony?

  18. #38

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Can i OT abit?

    Juz curious....

    When an arguement breaks out in the forum between members, moderator will step in to do smth, either warning or close the thread or whatever.

    But when the moderator is personally engaged in the arguement, then how arh?

    Dun mean to offend the moderator in any ways, juz curious only....

  19. #39
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    I honestly don't think there's any argument in this thread, but just for discussion's sake, I will think that anything involving a moderator will logically have to be considered by the next up the hierarchy, possibly the administrators.

    I guess if you wish to get a better answer, it may be better to start a thread in the FAQs section as doing it here may ruffle feathers

    Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Can i OT abit?

    Juz curious....

    When an arguement breaks out in the forum between members, moderator will step in to do smth, either warning or close the thread or whatever.

    But when the moderator is personally engaged in the arguement, then how arh?

    Dun mean to offend the moderator in any ways, juz curious only....

  20. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: $90 waiver?

    Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Can i OT abit?

    Juz curious....

    When an arguement breaks out in the forum between members, moderator will step in to do smth, either warning or close the thread or whatever.

    But when the moderator is personally engaged in the arguement, then how arh?

    Dun mean to offend the moderator in any ways, juz curious only....
    u wanna know?

    hmm, actually depends on situation, i consider the previous as 'healthy discussion', unless otherwise known as minor mod trolling.

    but the later part when i already say end, he still wanna harp on it... then consider trolling...

    well, mods are public targets, members can just get dereg, rereg, and mods get targeted again... so fun to win a mod eh? dunno what kinda gratification it derives out and from it.

    but i give benefits of doubt to vince that he is just trying to be friendly to mods with his unusual warmth and often wrong threads.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •