Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opinions on spectacle lenses

Default Re: Opinions on spectacle lenses

I was thinking of getting this one.

instead of this one below, any suggestions if below trifocal is better option?

../azul123

Priority is vision pov.. asthetics unimportant to me.

../azul123

Trifocal... Not sure about the technology now but trifocal lenses use to have (a) obvious seg lines between far, mid and near. It really make you look like an old man. (b) transit from far, mid and near is not gradual but immediate... This is quite disturbing for many. Alot of bi/tri wearer had actually converted to progressive lens.

Since you are going against the trend... Can't really tell whether you will get use to it or not. Best is get a pair but try not to spend too much to begin with.

For mid to near distance, eg working on a pc for a lengthy period of time... It is still better to use either reading glass or Web lens.

Alternatively, you can give yourself some more time to get adapt to your progressive. It take me years to get use to...

Quote Originally Posted by ddwmk2002 View Post
    Trifocal... Not sure about the technology now but trifocal lenses use to have (a) obvious seg lines between far, mid and near. It really make you look like an old man. (b) transit from far, mid and near is not gradual but immediate... This is quite disturbing for many. Alot of bi/tri wearer had actually converted to progressive lens.

Since you are going against the trend... Can't really tell whether you will get use to it or not. Best is get a pair but try not to spend too much to begin with.

For mid to near distance, eg working on a pc for a lengthy period of time... It is still better to use either reading glass or Web lens.

Alternatively, you can give yourself some more time to get adapt to your progressive. It take me years to get use to...
    Thanks for your advice.

Maybe what I would do is use my existing frame and ask the shop to keep my progressive lens in case I want to switch back to it.. just change to the trifocal lens and see if it would fit my preference better.

Progressives gives a headache and I hate the weird distortion at the corners. I have a feeling trifocal will be better as I prefer to know exactly where the far/mid/near points are.

../azul123

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Progressives gives a headache and I hate the weird distortion at the corners. I have a feeling trifocal will be better as I prefer to know exactly where the far/mid/near points are.

../azul123
    Not all progressive lens are make equal.... Yes, there are progressive lens which have lesser or much lesser edge distortion but they cost a bomb... can be up to 4 digit if require high index. Can't really say whether it's worth or not because if your power have not "stablize", you may find yourself having to change a pair of costly lens within a year or less...

Yes it will be a good idea to fit it onto ur existing frame so you can swap it later if there is a need to do so.

Yah, very conservative design, but the gold plating quality of Nikon and charmant frames are good and value for money thou, my uncle who's running an optical shop told me so.. very long lasting.

Are you aware of Nikon Frames? Not bad built quality but design abit on the conservative side.
    Lens wise, I always choose glass for better clarity, plastic lens can hardly comes close to glass in optical quality.
    But I usually go for mid low range lens like hoya or essilor rather than the ex ones.. cos it's not uncommon that I ll drop my specs and broke the glasses.. happened twice last year..
    Lucky it's not some Rodenstock or Zeiss lens.. hahah..
    Last edited by Kongo; 11th January 2010 at 11:17 PM.

I got a Nikon anti-fatigue lens. Cost me 500+ for the lens, where my Hugo frame only cost 200+.

But I must say, the Nikon lens did really a good job on reducing the power on the lower portion of lens.

I found out that I was already using Essilor Varilux Comfort with Transitions, I sat down with my optometrist last night and I think the issue could be with the way I wear my specs. Possibly when I was at the shop trying on the new specs he might have thought that I normally like to wear my specs high when actually I like to wear it lower, so that could be my issue.

Was advised not to revert to bifocal/trifocals.. as Progressives are much better for vision due to it's gradual changes rather than the abrupt changes of bifocals and worst still trifocals.

../azul123

I got the Essilor Progressive lenses for nearly $700 Smackaroos 2 years ago and I'm very comfortable with it.

My father-in-law, wanting so much to contribute to Johor's economy, went there and paid only $250 Mackaroos in March 2009 for an unbranded one. Now, he's complaining getting headaches when wearing his North-of-the-Border lenses. Guess, better to pay for quality and not having to go back to a local shop and pay more for a new one.

A lesson to be learnt is hidden somewhere there ... go figure.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

I started off with Varilux Comfort few years back. Since then i had try out Zeiss, Nikon, Physio 360 and my existing Azio 360, 1.67 Transitions. I would say Azio is the best lenses i have so far. But the price is....

There is a Zeiss Gradal RD lens that targets vision from around 14inches to 10feet without any distortion, so it claimed.. was thinking of making one, anyone using this and is it as good as they claim?

../azul123

I have heard of Zeiss RD. Understand it is optimise for near and mid distance. But many a time when you do that, you will compromise the distance viewing... Have not use it before so couldn't comment... I guess you won't go wrong with it if use mainly indoor (near and mid viewing). Good for bugs and butt shooting but not birds...maybe?

I have heard of Zeiss RD. Understand it is optimise for near and mid distance. But many a time when you do that, you will compromise the distance viewing... Have not use it before so couldn't comment... I guess you won't go wrong with it if use mainly indoor (near and mid viewing). Good for bugs and butt shooting but not birds...maybe?
    Ya have to change tack since I can't get used to all-in-one Progressives maybe getting this for in-door use only.

../azul123

Any recommendation of which shop to get spectacles from?

Famous shops like Optical 88 or Paris Miki always sells things rather expensive.

And HDB shops seem unreliable

Quote Originally Posted by amachi View Post
    Any recommendation of which shop to get spectacles from?

Famous shops like Optical 88 or Paris Miki always sells things rather expensive.

And HDB shops seem unreliable
    Hm, guys? any recommendations?

when you are paying 800+ for a pair of glasses why not go for an eye op
    Flickr
    There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.

u can try the neighbourhood optical shops.

there are many optical shops in Toa Payoh ..

prices are quite competitive.

Another good place to shop for specs would be at queensway shopping centre.

anyone knows of any shop tat sells the tag heur lookalike rimless specs ?

I saw many tag heur look alike half frame but not rimless ones.

Not into spectacle lenses, but if you don't mind... can try to get specs from Malaysia.
    I did survey months ago on branded frames, you can get it ~30% cheaper from Malaysia. But I'm not sure on the lenses price diff between these two places.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123