Thread: WA landscapes

Default WA landscapes

Long time haven't posted anything on my favourite subject matter - landscapes (birds a close 2nd). First time using digital for landscapes too and yes, I have now have a view as to whether digital is better than my F70+24 mm

1st shot is stunning... very good dynamic range. Any ND filter?

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    1st shot is stunning... very good dynamic range. Any ND filter?

I agree but the shot looks a tad faded? Was that deliberate? I would have preferred the rock strata to be a little brighter.....

this was dawn light so the colours are muted. I bracketed in +/- 2/3 stops and combined the +0 EV with the -2/3 EV sky. As it was dawn, contrast was low. There was also a bit of wind

Quote Originally Posted by erwinx
    this was dawn light so the colours are muted. I bracketed in +/- 2/3 stops and combined the +0 EV with the -2/3 EV sky. As it was dawn, contrast was low. There was also a bit of wind

Huh? Dun understand your compensation figures?? U said u bracketed in +/- 2/3 stops, then u say u have 0 EV? Err... how do u +/-2/3 EV sky?? U can't compensate for the sky separately from the foreground can u? Or u do mean that u open up by 2/3 stops to increase the amount of light from the sky? I was just wondering if u had metered for the rocks, the picture might look brighter...... but I guess the light at dawn doesn't permit it....... what time were u at the scene...... it must have been darn early!

sorry for any confusion, this is what I meant: using the +0 EV image as the main image, I combined in the sky from the -2/3 EV image using the 'digital ND grad technique'.

I have a brighter +2/3 EV image as well (which I did not use) as I felt that the pic as it is now represented the scene as i saw it.

sorry for any confusion, this is what I meant: using the +0 EV image as the main image, I combined in the sky from the -2/3 EV image using the 'digital ND grad technique'.

I have a brighter +2/3 EV image as well (which I did not use) as I felt that the pic as it is now represented the scene as i saw it.
    Oh So it's a digital kind of thing?? Cos I can't separately dial in compensation for different parts of the frame in a film SLR.....

....First time using digital for landscapes too and yes, I have now have a view as to whether digital is better than my F70+24 mm
    and...?

very well executed; the textures are all very well captured!!

..NuTs..

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Oh So it's a digital kind of thing?? Cos I can't separately dial in compensation for different parts of the frame in a film SLR.....
    He took 2 shots and combined the sky of one with the foreground of another to get the effect.

Nice work erwinx, I love the colour of the ocean in the first pic.

very nice pic ! just that the stone in the foreground near ur watermardk look lated on and also that solitary one in the middle. i am not saying u pasted them haha. just that the scenery is such.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    He took 2 shots and combined the sky of one with the foreground of another to get the effect.

Nice work erwinx, I love the colour of the ocean in the first pic.

I see...... so that must be photoshopped I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    I see...... so that must be photoshopped I guess?
    what he did will be the same as using gradual ND filter... to improve dynamic range, nothing wrong with that.

Erwin: you might want to up the contrast a bit using a S curve layer.

nice pix erwinx.

you're just maximizing the power of photoshop
    San Francisco Bay Area California Wedding Photographer
    www.thisisitphotograpy.com

Quote Originally Posted by oeyvind
    what he did will be the same as using gradual ND filter... to improve dynamic range, nothing wrong with that.

Erwin: you might want to up the contrast a bit using a S curve layer.
    thanks for the suggestion, will try it later....

when you realise how easily resin ND grads scratch (I've used Cokin and Hitech), digital ND Grad are the way to go. Image quality also slightly better since you have one less filter in the way.