Thread: How to take panorama shot?

Default How to take panorama shot?

Several questions for experts to answer my qns:

1) Do we really nid to switch to "Panorama" in the auto scene mode to take those shots or we can juz take normally in sequence and use Photoshop to stitch them back?

2) What is the moving position to take the Panorama shots?
    a) Keeping yourself still, moving your hand in a radius circular line to take
    b) Keeping the camera still, moving yourself in a line to take?

Thank you

Default Re: How to take panorama shot?

for best results use a tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by kwan0029 View Post

1) Do we really nid to switch to "Panorama" in the auto scene mode to take those shots or we can juz take normally in sequence and use Photoshop to stitch them back?

Thank you
    If you have "panorama" mode, then use it. But read manual first and see what is the limit to the stitching in panorama mode eg max 5, no vertical, etc

If you do not have panorama mode then take a sequence then stitch later with software eg photoshop. Most important is to keep all the setting the same so that each photo will have the same brightness, etc

You can either stand still and move the camera (turning you body) or keep camera still and move body like standing on moving cart but the outcome may be different due to perspective.

Whichever mode or method you use, there must always be enough overlap so that the software can 'see' the similarity so that it can stitch up the photo.
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue

Do we really nid to switch to "Panorama" in the auto scene mode to take those shots or we can juz take normally in sequence and use Photoshop to stitch them back?
    I haven't owned a camera with a panorama mode, so sorry can't help you there. That said. I've used PNS as well as dslrs for panos, they work fine.

Either of these will work for panoramas with subjects that are far away.

However, if you want to take a panorama in mind for ease of sticthing, you need to figure out the Nodal Point. This is one of the google links I found, google for more! http://360texas.com/tips/nodalpts.htm
    http://www.vrphotography.com/data/pa...talign-tn.html <- good example of parallax issues when shooting up close.

HTHs!

Thank you
    For dSLR not sure if there is a " Panorama " mode.

Yes you can take in sequence with areas of overlap to stitch with software

You can rotate aboout the ballhead for instance to stitch. For more accurate stitching especially the more wider angle stitches, rotation about the nodal point helps - else subject matter will not line up accurately from parallex - as you rotate the camera, a distant and a near object will move in relation to each other.

Of course software can attempt to correct and many times not too troubling / obvious- and hence (a) or (b) will work as long as you give adequate overlap. You hand hold cannot be so accurate anyway.

Ryan

thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it
    Becuz i've done several pano wif my Oly E510 (which has pano scene mode) and it seems distorted when I use the Oly s/w to stitch them.
    I was wondering izzit the way I hold and move the cam to take the shots.

I'm asking whether it can take in normal shot and go back use software to stitch it becuz in my Pano Scene mode, I can't change my setting. Is all AUTO...

thanks for all the replies! Appreciate it
    Becuz i've done several pano wif my Oly E510 (which has pano scene mode) and it seems distorted when I use the Oly s/w to stitch them.
    I was wondering izzit the way I hold and move the cam to take the shots.

I'm asking whether it can take in normal shot and go back use software to stitch it becuz in my Pano Scene mode, I can't change my setting. Is all AUTO...
    My Oly c770uz is the predeccesor of your camera if not mistaken. When you stitch the photos together, the pano photo will not have straight edge (bottom, top) is landscape mode. This is so even for the stitched photo from my current Canon dSLR. I had asked the same question before in Oly c770uz forum and was reassured that this is normal. Just crop off the edges.

Can't exactly remember but I think my Oly also cannot do in manual mode for pano. I suppose if you have PS, then use manual mode to capture the few photos then stitch with PS
    Idea got, execution not!
    APAD|Travelogue