Thread: The art of blurring the backgournd

Default The art of blurring the backgournd

Hi all.

I am using a Canon PowerShot S5 IS (w/ 12X Zoom) and would like to learn the art/ skill of blurring the background of your subject.

I have been tips and guides on the net and learned about the apeture and shutter speed techniques.

When I was trying to practice with a narrow apetrue w/ the S5 IS, it doesn't work. I was hoping to acheive an portrait shot with a blur backgorund. Similar to this girl's pic on this site...
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...ckgrounds.aspx

So, any S5 IS users out there who has learn the proper setting/ technique with this specific camera?

What's the proper Mode, Apeture setting, etc. Thanks.

Default Re: The art of blurring the backgournd

Quote Originally Posted by apcaw View Post
    Hi all.

I am using a Canon PowerShot S5 IS (w/ 12X Zoom) and would like to learn the art/ skill of blurring the background of your subject.

I have been tips and guides on the net and learned about the apeture and shutter speed techniques.

When I was trying to practice with a narrow apetrue w/ the S5 IS, it doesn't work. I was hoping to acheive an portrait shot with a blur backgorund. Similar to this girl's pic on this site...
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/P...ckgrounds.aspx

So, any S5 IS users out there who has learn the proper setting/ technique with this specific camera?

What's the proper Mode, Apeture setting, etc. Thanks.

For more background blur, you have to open up your aperture a wide as possible. So Full Manual or Av mode should be use in most cases. An have max zoom and try to get close to the subject.

With an S5IS, you'll be VERY limited by the small lens and sensor size. The most you can do is to set it to the longest focal length, largest aperture at that focal length and stand as close to the subject as you can, while thebackground is as far away from your subject as possible.

All of this is covered in your "online research" though. And read the newbies guide:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544
    Alpha

Thanks, Rashkae & lightning.

Its quite unfortunate that the S5 IS is not a full SLR and like Rashkae said, it is limited.

Will study the notes and try it our again tonight.

use photoshop, select ur background , add blur!

I'll suggest you use the macro mode to shoot, in this case.
    One day you'll see.

Blog Entries

set to portrait mode, longest zoom

or take 2 pictures and DI together

1. blur OOF background
    2. subject in focus

cut sharp subject and paste on blur background
    you can also make the background more blur in PS