Thread: Need advise about post Mt Kinabalu climb

Default Need advise about post Mt Kinabalu climb

Hi guys,

Was hoping those who have been to climb Mt Kinabalu can give me some advise.
    I will be climbing Mt K. in June for the first time and am thinking if I should go home after the climb or hang around there to explore the place. I am wondering how tired I will be after the climb and whether I will still have energy to do stuff there. It seems that normally, people go home after the climb. Any advise from those who have done it? Thanks.
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Default Re: Need advise about post Mt Kinabalu climb

I will really recommend you to hang around. There's even a hot spring near Mt K that you can visit before you head to K K. At K K also you can go island hopping and maybe travel around the town take some shots. Island hopping is ok, not very fantastic but still can get nice pics. In my opinion for an average fitness guy, you'll wouldn't feel too tired to travel around. Just make sure you get lotsa fluid into you body to help recover.

yeah, can go hot spring to relax or island hopping.
    can also go for river rafting, really exciting!

Quote Originally Posted by scud View Post
    yeah, can go hot spring to relax or island hopping.
    can also go for river rafting, really exciting!
    Oh ya, totally forgot abt rafting! But rafting seasonal if I remember correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by weevil84 View Post
    I will really recommend you to hang around. There's even a hot spring near Mt K that you can visit before you head to K K. At K K also you can go island hopping and maybe travel around the town take some shots. Island hopping is ok, not very fantastic but still can get nice pics. In my opinion for an average fitness guy, you'll wouldn't feel too tired to travel around. Just make sure you get lotsa fluid into you body to help recover.
    Hmm... Island Hopping... what is there to do on Island Hopping?
    Any operators to recommend?
    The thing is, if i were to go snorkelling or diving, I want to use my own gear but since I am climbing mountain, I will not bring this gear.
    If going canoeing... hmm... after climbing mountain... maybe not too keen for physical activity...
    If just lie around beach... hmmm... if alone is kinda boring also... unless scenery is very good?
    Depends on the price of the island hopping tours too... but since you said not very fantastic... hmm...

Yes, we plan to go to Porong Hot Springs after the climb and stay another day to do city tour...
    I'm wondering if I should stay even longer than that...
    The best photographer is one who is inspired by the innate nature of his subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by WuffRuff View Post
    Hmm... Island Hopping... what is there to do on Island Hopping?
    Any operators to recommend?
    The thing is, if i were to go snorkelling or diving, I want to use my own gear but since I am climbing mountain, I will not bring this gear.
    If going canoeing... hmm... after climbing mountain... maybe not too keen for physical activity...
    If just lie around beach... hmmm... if alone is kinda boring also... unless scenery is very good?
    Depends on the price of the island hopping tours too... but since you said not very fantastic... hmm...

Yes, we plan to go to Porong Hot Springs after the climb and stay another day to do city tour...
    I'm wondering if I should stay even longer than that...
    go sandakan and see the organg utan sanctuary... very impressive and the babies are so cute
    Never forget rule 5
    My Flickr

sample shot of the beach at manukan island... it's a composite pano. http://photos1.blogger.com/img/283/3...anomanukan.jpg
    beach is not so fantastic if compared to tioman etc. Island hopping just go to the ferry terminal you'll be able to get all the pricing and such. How to get there I can't really remember cos i walked there as was staying in a hotel nearby. Probably others can help advice more?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    go sandakan and see the organg utan sanctuary... very impressive and the babies are so cute
    ....yes Wonder if Uncle Jims cabin is still there!

Also from porong hot srpings there is a 3-4 hour jungle trek to a fantastic waterfall.....although used to be lots of tiger leeches along route.......
    Running for conservation and ACRES. Donate at http://www.acres.org.sg/donate.html

TS: it depends how much is your budget and how long will you stay.

From Kk to Mt. KK and back to KK, by bus.

KK - Sandakan both ways, by bus about 6 hours or domestic flight 40 mins (MAS about RM400, Airasia about RM200).

Mt.KK to Sandakan, by bus possible but difficult to arrange. Would advice to take flight to save time.

When you visit any of the national park (Mt. KK, Sepilok, islands etc), foreigners are always charged much higher.

Sad to say, our islands at KK such as manukan, Gaya & Sapi have become like Desaru.... too mahy tourists and less maintenance. Though the water is still clear but rubbish could be seen. Unless you have $$ & time to go further those less touristic islands.

Another place is Danum valley, part of it has been opened up for tourist. Another virgin forest for nature lover.

Hot spring is quite a comon route for the climbers after mt. climbing. Bus ride of about 1 ~ 1.5 hour. You can book a room to stay there too. If you have energy, check out the season for white water rafting as well. It's at Tenom, another town opposite direction from way to Mt. kinabalu.

Anyone know where to rent lens in Kinabatangan area?

hi friend, do you really mean to rent camera lens?? That's no no. Not available and not advisable to ask around even in KK.

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    hi friend, do you really mean to rent camera lens?? That's no no. Not available and not advisable to ask around even in KK.
    OK, then any reputable shops in KK or in the area?