Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Using Wide Angle / Tele Converter on your camera

Default Re: Using Wide Angle / Tele Converter on your camera

Sorry for the confusion,

What I meant was, when using a WA converter on my camera, it will vignett a little(I know for sure because I'm using a modified mount and have tested with 67mm filters which VERY slightly vignetts so these adapters, even the raynox ones at 58mm would definitely vignett).

On my G7 which is a 35mm * 0.2X = 7mm with vignetts

If I zoom in a little, maybe to 70mm * 0.2X = 14mm, it is still way wider than my default 35mm but with less/no vignetting now. The question was whether in this slightly zoomed in situation, will I still have 180 horizontal coverage?

Heres an example taken at the lens at wide:

technically I could zoom in enough until I get only dark corners(bigger red frame) which is probably still 180 coverage, but if I zoom in further until I do not get any dark corners(Smaller red frame), would it still appear like the smaller red frame? ie. still wide coverage?

What i'm trying to achieve is an increase in coverage(FE or not is actually quite secondary), and getting a "sweet spot" between the 0.2X FE(super WA but high distortions) and the 0.7X WA(not as wide but also less distortions) converters.

Sorry about this but don't really have the resources to splurge on various converters to test for myself so just hoping your experience with the several converters might shed some light on my queries. The few converters I'm considering now are the Opeteka 0.25X FE, Raynox 0.66X and Raynox 0.7X.

Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by FongAlv View Post
    Sorry for the confusion,

What I meant was, when using a WA converter on my camera, it will vignett a little(I know for sure because I'm using a modified mount and have tested with 67mm filters which VERY slightly vignetts so these adapters, even the raynox ones at 58mm would definitely vignett).

On my G7 which is a 35mm * 0.2X = 7mm with vignetts

If I zoom in a little, maybe to 70mm * 0.2X = 14mm, it is still way wider than my default 35mm but with less/no vignetting now. The question was whether in this slightly zoomed in situation, will I still have 180 horizontal coverage?

Heres an example taken at the lens at wide:

technically I could zoom in enough until I get only dark corners(bigger red frame) which is probably still 180 coverage, but if I zoom in further until I do not get any dark corners(Smaller red frame), would it still appear like the smaller red frame? ie. still wide coverage?

What i'm trying to achieve is an increase in coverage(FE or not is actually quite secondary), and getting a "sweet spot" between the 0.2X FE(super WA but high distortions) and the 0.7X WA(not as wide but also less distortions) converters.

Sorry about this but don't really have the resources to splurge on various converters to test for myself so just hoping your experience with the several converters might shed some light on my queries. The few converters I'm considering now are the Opeteka 0.25X FE, Raynox 0.66X and Raynox 0.7X.

Thanks for reading!
    Converter may not give the conversion factor as stated, u can find more about it by google.

With the smaller red square, I suspect the fish eye converter is giving u 180%, but i not expert in this also.

The experience I gain with the purchase of a Canon TCON 1.6x, 52mm mount vs the Olympus TCON 1.45x, 46mm mount is that although the Oly is much smaller, but the rear element is bigger than the Canon.

Even after reducing thickness of the step down ring (58 - 52mm) by 3mm, the vignetting is reduced significantly but not totally reduced, when use with Sony DSC707 at full zoom of 190mm (135mm format equivalent). Non is observed with the Oly which needs 2 step down ring of (58 - 52mm before reducing the thickness) & (52 - 46mm)!!

On my Canon G2 at full zoom of 102mm (135mm format equivalent) with a modified (shorten) filter adapter tube with 52mm filter size, when the Canon TCON is mounted directly, there is no vignetting. Non is observed with the Oly which needs 1 step down ring of (52 - 46mm)!! In this case, the front element of the G2 is significant smaller than the DSC707.
    Last edited by denniskee; 4th May 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

found this site that has photos taken with tele & wide converters, just search the converter's brand

http://www.dpchallenge.com/lens.php?LENS_ID=1312

It seems like for wide-con, 0.75x may be the widest they can go without too much image degrade, Oly went from 0.7x to 0.8x, Pana went for 0.75x, now the latest king of compact the Samsung EX1's access. LWCEX01 is also 0.75x.

Anyone know where to get this telephoto lens?

or which is the best lens?
    Last edited by MinMin85; 21st June 2010 at 11:55 PM.

From those reviews I read, anything above 1.6x TC will see IQ degrade at the sides and corners, some (nikon, canon, oly) not so bad as others.

Also, note that there is a high chances of vignetting if the TC doesnt match your camera. eg

My Canon TC DC 52B is a 52mm mount 1.6x TC, on my Canon C2 at full zoom, not vignet.

But on my Sony 707, there is vignet.

On LX3, Emolux adapter tube, step up ring 52mm-55mm, oly 0.7x wide con, there is slight IQ degrade with abit of vignetting at the corners at its widest.
    Last edited by denniskee; 6th July 2010 at 02:05 PM.

Hi, thanks for the thread!
    I had naively thought that the converter would be a great and cheaper alternative to wide-angle lens. But I know better now; think I shall save up for the actual lens

Quote Originally Posted by joyeeyim View Post
    Hi, thanks for the thread!
    I had naively thought that the converter would be a great and cheaper alternative to wide-angle lens. But I know better now; think I shall save up for the actual lens
    NO!!! Thank yourself for doing research.

Dear fellow CSers

Like I wrote in this thread times and again, I need your support to help other fellow CSers, to prevent them from being con into buying a rubbish converter lens, most recent cases :

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...17#post6314617

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667925

I can understand why most of you doesnt want to contribute to this thread as it will hurt the resale value of your converter is the result (when image quality proof to be not good).

Which is why I think those CSers whom I wrote to for help in contributing the photos taken with their converters have all turn me down. Not a single one is willing to contribute.

But look at it this way, you came here to ask for help, fellow CSers chip in to give you suggestions. Dont you think you are very selfish if you only take but not give?

I feel very sad to have to write this post.
    Last edited by denniskee; 18th July 2010 at 01:48 AM.

Some shots taken with Canon G2 + Canon TC-DC52B (1.6x) at the Indoor Stadium during the 1st match for Badminton for 2010 YOG, this set up give me roughly 160mm, the lighting was very bright, so used ISO 100, f2.8, 1/100sec, hand held.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...91#post6406991
    Last edited by denniskee; 17th August 2010 at 12:39 AM.

just got a lumix lx3. walked ard funan and people's park to test WA lenses because i was thinking of adding some accesories. but i did not buy because i was concerned about compromising on image quality. there was a guy in one of the shops in funan advised me not to waste my $ on purchasing them. he recommended just getting a fisheye. so is there a really good WA lens i should consider or should i listen to the advice?

Quote Originally Posted by wanderlustkid View Post
    just got a lumix lx3. walked ard funan and people's park to test WA lenses because i was thinking of adding some accesories. but i did not buy because i was concerned about compromising on image quality. there was a guy in one of the shops in funan advised me not to waste my $ on purchasing them. he recommended just getting a fisheye. so is there a really good WA lens i should consider or should i listen to the advice?

takumi18 WTSell: Lens - Panasonic LX3 - Wide conversion lens + lens adapter
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748348

advantage of using the pana adapter is it is 46mm & if u can find a oly 1.4x TC (clip on type), than it is just the matter of clip on the TC if u need more zoom, remove if dont, the adapter will not cause vignetting round the corners even if u leave it on.
    Last edited by denniskee; 20th August 2010 at 01:32 PM.

well,

interesting topic here....it happened i also looking for macro converter either....wondering, is it the same way how it work between wide angle, tele & macro converter?

need brighten up about this, i mean, if its wide angle converter using 14-42 depend on the multiply? so, is it the same thing with macro converter work when using PF lens 50|3,5 macro?

Sorry for the language

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Declan79 View Post
    well,

interesting topic here....it happened i also looking for macro converter either....wondering, is it the same way how it work between wide angle, tele & macro converter?

need brighten up about this, i mean, if its wide angle converter using 14-42 depend on the multiply? so, is it the same thing with macro converter work when using PF lens 50|3,5 macro?

Sorry for the language

thanks
    sorry declan, i have problem understanding what is it u want to say.

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    sorry declan, i have problem understanding what is it u want to say.
    oupps sorry then, try to make it simple then....what is the different between macro-tele-wide extention/tube/converter?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Declan79 View Post
    oupps sorry then, try to make it simple then....what is the different between macro-tele-wide extention/tube/converter?

thanks
    Do u mean those add on converter lens used infront of the P&S camera lens or those used for DSLR? They are different things.

Unhappy Re: Using Wide Angle / Tele Converter on your camera

From what I observed, wide-angle converters tend to reduce the quality of the image when I zoom in on the images, I could see blueish tints highlighting specific details of the image. Furthermore, at my widest focal length of 18mm (with the wide-angle converter), there was HEAVY vignetting at the sides. I guess that was a compromise for being able to shoot close to 180degrees of the horizon

Default Re: Using Wide Angle Converter on your camera

Quote Originally Posted by denniskee View Post
    Wide con : Olympus 0.7x wide con (4 glass elements, 55mm thread mount), refer to #1
    Camera : Canon G2
    Connection : 3rd party adapter + 52-55 step up ring, no filter in between
    Setting : Hand held, Lens at widest, ISO 100, 1/200sec, f5.6

Centre crop to 20%

Corner crop to 20%
    i got a g12 newbie where to buy adapter, what would u recommend for marco

bought my GroBartiG Digital AF Super Wide 0.45X w/ macro with a 52mm thread mount for my nikon D60 kits lens. for the time being it is useful to take indoor pictures during events. but have not really tested it yet. will post some pixs when i go for my shoot.

I am new to DSLR and would like to try it out as a newbie then as I graduate later to more experience, I will consider to buy another len to fit all. Please advise. Thanks.

cheap cartier trinity ring
    buy cartier love bracelets,cartier pen refill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast