Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Help..................:)

  1. #1

    Arrow Help..................:)

    Hi all, I am interested in photography and would like to learn it. Can I ask for your opinion on what camera types & models are suitable for a beginner, and where can I get one? Is it fine to get a 2nd hand one as well? My budget is below $1000. Look forward to inputs from anyone soon, thanks! =)
    "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk..."

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Difficult question to answer cos there is not enough input.

    To answer, you first need to ask answer yourself a few question:

    1. Cam type: SLR or PNS or prosumer?
    2. Brand prefference?
    3. Type of shooting, potraiture, nature, landscape, events etc
    4. Any other accesories you intend to get besides the camera bag, tripod, flash etc
    5. New or 2nd hand?

    Think about these questions and let us know. This will allow people to actually help you.

    BTW, I would go thru the previous post here in the newbie section and maybe the buy and sell section.
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

  3. #3
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Hello...welcome.

    As bro Sherchoo mentioned, you have to first ask yourself if you are ready for a DSLR. If you are really ready, have you read up on what the different systems can offer? Generally, all entry level DSLRs are able to give you decent pictures if you use them correctly and within their limits. (Do note that some entry level cameras may have certain functions omitted and those functions may be useful to you - eg. Nikon D40 can only MF on some lenses, Canon 1000D does not have spot metering).

    You may want to consider the following cameras if you're ready for the DSLR:

    Nikon - D40, D60,
    Canon - 1000D, 450D
    Sony - A200, A300
    Pentax - K200D
    Olympus - E420
    Panasonic - G1

    These are great cameras if you can know how to use them within their limits.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  4. #4

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Difficult question to answer cos there is not enough input.

    To answer, you first need to ask answer yourself a few question:

    1. Cam type: SLR or PNS or prosumer?
    2. Brand prefference?
    3. Type of shooting, potraiture, nature, landscape, events etc
    4. Any other accesories you intend to get besides the camera bag, tripod, flash etc
    5. New or 2nd hand?

    Think about these questions and let us know. This will allow people to actually help you.

    BTW, I would go thru the previous post here in the newbie section and maybe the buy and sell section.
    Thanks for your reply

    1: SLR
    2. Nikon or Canon, i do not know much on brands
    3. potraint...(The reason I want to learn photography is that there is something in my mind I cannot express with words: the relationship between human beings and the nature, the planet, the universe...thoughts about life......)
    4. no
    5. not sure, want to listen to your suggestion

    so with the above informations, can you give me some suggestions? thx
    Last edited by 7-chaos; 18th February 2009 at 05:16 PM.
    "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk..."

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Hello...welcome.

    As bro Sherchoo mentioned, you have to first ask yourself if you are ready for a DSLR. If you are really ready, have you read up on what the different systems can offer? Generally, all entry level DSLRs are able to give you decent pictures if you use them correctly and within their limits. (Do note that some entry level cameras may have certain functions omitted and those functions may be useful to you - eg. Nikon D40 can only MF on some lenses, Canon 1000D does not have spot metering).

    You may want to consider the following cameras if you're ready for the DSLR:

    Nikon - D40, D60,
    Canon - 1000D, 450D
    Sony - A200, A300
    Pentax - K200D
    Olympus - E420
    Panasonic - G1

    These are great cameras if you can know how to use them within their limits.
    Thanks, Galdor!
    can you also give me some suggestion based on what I have replied to Cherchoo? Is 2nd hand one OK ?
    "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk..."

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Canon 450D will be good for you. Price is within your budget. Go to any shop and play around if you like it straight away buy

    As for the place to buy, go to canon forum and open the sticky threat about Canon Equipment price list.

    As for me, I don't like to buy second hand as you never know what has happened to the camera, specially the lens. And do note that camera body shutter life cycle, it cost few hundred dollar to change the shutter.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Since you are still unsure of what to get, may I suggest this (which I just posted in another thread) as a start:

    Nikon D300 (Good Camera body, last you long long time.)
    Prime Lens: AF 85mm f1.4 or 135mm f2.0 Lens (For good bokeh/portrait etc shots)
    Zoom Lens: AF 80- 200mm f2.8 (For good zoom shots)
    Wide Lens: AF 14-24mm f2.8 (For good landscape shots)
    Std Zoom: AF 24- 70mm f2.8 (Standard lens - multipurpose)
    Micro: AF Micro 105mm f2.8 (For flowers, insects, waterdrops etc small items)
    Flash: Nikon SB900
    Remote Control
    Filters
    Additional Batteries
    Tripod
    Underwater casing
    Drybox
    Bag etc

    Got spare change, get a Super Telelens: AF 300mm f2.8.

    Should be able to take most of the 'regular' photos.

    Though it may set you back very slightly more than your $1k budget. If you have budget constraints, just scale down accordingly. E.g.
    Instead of a D300, get a D90. And instead of getting lenses at f2.8, get similar lenses at f4.5-5.6.


    And get a Coolpix just in case.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    i rec get 2nd hands with warrenty on. =)
    anyway nikon/canon bodies/lens are built to withstand the test of time - say 30-50 years?. - the only exception is 18-200 vr lens.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    anyway nikon/canon bodies/lens are built to withstand the test of time - say 30-50 years?. -
    LOL

    You really need to check out the budget DSLR cameras. 30-50 years only makes sense if you lock them in a dry cabinet and never use them.
    Alpha

  10. #10

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Quote Originally Posted by 7-chaos View Post
    Thanks, Galdor!
    can you also give me some suggestion based on what I have replied to Cherchoo? Is 2nd hand one OK ?
    Second hand is fine. I suggest an A200 if you don't care about live view and want a more "pure" photographic experience, or an A300/A350 if you want liveview.
    Alpha

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    i rec get 2nd hands with warrenty on. =)
    anyway nikon/canon bodies/lens are built to withstand the test of time - say 30-50 years?. - the only exception is 18-200 vr lens.
    Quote Originally Posted by AMediaLuz View Post
    Since you are still unsure of what to get, may I suggest this (which I just posted in another thread) as a start:

    Nikon D300 (Good Camera body, last you long long time.)
    Prime Lens: AF 85mm f1.4 or 135mm f2.0 Lens (For good bokeh/portrait etc shots)
    Zoom Lens: AF 80- 200mm f2.8 (For good zoom shots)
    Wide Lens: AF 14-24mm f2.8 (For good landscape shots)
    Std Zoom: AF 24- 70mm f2.8 (Standard lens - multipurpose)
    Micro: AF Micro 105mm f2.8 (For flowers, insects, waterdrops etc small items)
    Flash: Nikon SB900
    Remote Control
    Filters
    Additional Batteries
    Tripod
    Underwater casing
    Drybox
    Bag etc

    Got spare change, get a Super Telelens: AF 300mm f2.8.

    Should be able to take most of the 'regular' photos.

    Though it may set you back very slightly more than your $1k budget. If you have budget constraints, just scale down accordingly. E.g.
    Instead of a D300, get a D90. And instead of getting lenses at f2.8, get similar lenses at f4.5-5.6.


    And get a Coolpix just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azzurro View Post
    Canon 450D will be good for you. Price is within your budget. Go to any shop and play around if you like it straight away buy

    As for the place to buy, go to canon forum and open the sticky threat about Canon Equipment price list.

    As for me, I don't like to buy second hand as you never know what has happened to the camera, specially the lens. And do note that camera body shutter life cycle, it cost few hundred dollar to change the shutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Hello...welcome.

    As bro Sherchoo mentioned, you have to first ask yourself if you are ready for a DSLR. If you are really ready, have you read up on what the different systems can offer? Generally, all entry level DSLRs are able to give you decent pictures if you use them correctly and within their limits. (Do note that some entry level cameras may have certain functions omitted and those functions may be useful to you - eg. Nikon D40 can only MF on some lenses, Canon 1000D does not have spot metering).

    You may want to consider the following cameras if you're ready for the DSLR:

    Nikon - D40, D60,
    Canon - 1000D, 450D
    Sony - A200, A300
    Pentax - K200D
    Olympus - E420
    Panasonic - G1

    These are great cameras if you can know how to use them within their limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Difficult question to answer cos there is not enough input.

    To answer, you first need to ask answer yourself a few question:

    1. Cam type: SLR or PNS or prosumer?
    2. Brand prefference?
    3. Type of shooting, potraiture, nature, landscape, events etc
    4. Any other accesories you intend to get besides the camera bag, tripod, flash etc
    5. New or 2nd hand?

    Think about these questions and let us know. This will allow people to actually help you.

    BTW, I would go thru the previous post here in the newbie section and maybe the buy and sell section.
    Thanks to all the friends here!!! I really appreciate your help. Finally I have decided to buy a Canon 450D.
    I know different people may have diferent opinions just on one thing based on their own expirences. Facing so many suggestions, it's difficult for me to make a decision, especially that I know nothing about camera (Maybe the only thing I know is that if you press a certain button, you'll get a picture. )...

    Anyway, it's just like life. Sometimes you are facing too many choices which makes your life difficult. Then what you need to do is just make a choice, any choice, after that, follow strictly to what you have chose. Just do not regret. Because this is life, you never know what is right, what is wrong. Time tells all the truth.

    haha, dunnoe what i am saying....

    again, thank you all, from the bottom of my heart.
    Last edited by 7-chaos; 19th February 2009 at 05:00 PM.
    "...the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk..."

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    358

    Default Re: Help..................:)

    wow lolx, you took some time and effort to write that thank-you reply huh ...

    haha anyway enjoy the 450D! think the bottom line is now that you've got yourself a decent camera, keep shooting and you'll start knowing what kinda shots u like. from there on you can work to get better lenses, or improve the body as technology improves. u have to start somewhere ...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •