Thread: Nikon D90 vs Canon 450D if don't care video?

Default Nikon D90 vs Canon 450D if don't care video?

Hi,
    looking to buy my first digital SLR (have used traditional SLRs and digital compacts). Several friends have the Nikon D80 ad love it, so I was keen on that, but it is hard to find now that it is superseded by the D90. Also, I do like the liveview function that the newer cameras have. I think I'm looking at the D90 or the Canon 450D. I don't need the video function of the D90, and the D90 body is much heavier at 620g versus 475g. So I would tend towards the Canon, but wanted to hear first whether there is anything (apart from video) that should sway me to the Nikon, and also whether people with the 450D are happy. Finally, should I consider the Canon 40D - what does it offer over the 450D? I do not need more than 10 megapixels, so that isnot an issue.
    thanks for your help!

Default Re: Nikon D90 vs Canon 450D if don't care video?

TS

There are many thread on this topic ..
    D90 - Nikkor 18-105mm|Nikkor 50mm f1.8|Tokina 11-16mm f2.8|SB-600
    My Flickr

For me, I luv the feel & grip of my D90. It fits nicely in my hand although it's a bit heavy. Video is a bonus to me which I've yet to use.

sorry, maybe I should be more specific. I like the D80, and am kind of frustrated that its replacement has something I don't want (video, and fairly clunky at that) and is heavier. Do people think the D90 is much superior to the D80 or are there reasons to favour the D80 still.....

Heavy is good. It is more stable, ie less vibration while shooting. I had a Canon 1000D before and it is feather light and later a Canon 5D (pretty heavy) and found that while it is heavy it gives a good feel and stability while shooting.

My opinion, go for the D90. You might not need the video, but you'll use it and years later when you are sitting there reminiscing the good old days, you'll be glad you've capture that moving moment in time .... along with the still picture.

Quote Originally Posted by carocaro View Post
    sorry, maybe I should be more specific. I like the D80, and am kind of frustrated that its replacement has something I don't want (video, and fairly clunky at that) and is heavier. Do people think the D90 is much superior to the D80 or are there reasons to favour the D80 still.....
    I switched from D80 to D90 because I need the higher cleaner ISO for indoor shooting, video for future usage, live view capabilities, faster focusing, bigger LCD screen, ....etc

So far I dunno how to use the live view mode properly, it seems very difficult to focus.

D90 video is very good.. match and beats a lot of the 500-700 camcorders..

however the video file size can get large and editing it can be a problem

Live-view is quite useful when you have to take a shot from awkward angle...

D90's video has good resolution and the live-view is a plus for hard to see angles.

Quote Originally Posted by steven68 View Post
    So far I dunno how to use the live view mode properly, it seems very difficult to focus.
    Personally I feel that the AF in LiveView is "crippled" by Nikon as it exclude phrase-AF in LV mode...

i will take the D90 anytime... it is way a much better DSLR.. with many advanced useful function to assist u to take better photos.

i agree, in addition it feel more solid to hold.... However i only can afford a D60... lol....

Personally I would go for the D90 if given only these 2 choices as the feel of the cam is more comfortable. But it still depends on yourself. I would suggest that you go to a shop to get a feel of the cams and see which is more comfortable to you. Do try to go thru the menu to see if changing settings of the cam is easy enough for you too. Perhaps you may want to consider cameras from other brands as well as they are equally good too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

Like the threadstarter, I was considering both the 450D and D90 as well. But since I was upgrading from a D60, the choice was a bit partial to the D90 as I had gotten used to Nikon's controls. The D90 also felt more solid on hand.

In addition, comparing to my friend's 450D, I do believe the D90 has superior ISO and noise control. The D90 image sensor is also slightly better. However, take note that Canon's lenses have generally been cheaper than Nikon's.

Hi mate, just felt that get what you really require and it fits your budget.

got my d90 after comparing these two for a long time, no regret