Thread: Need advice on prime lens and lighting for baby photography

Default Need advice on prime lens and lighting for baby photography

Hi

I'm thinking of buying Canon 50mm f1.4 for my baby photography but since there's not much space in my room I need 30mm instead and I saw Sigma 30mm f1.4. Any comment or experience with Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Also, I need some advice on the lighting in my room, equipment and the setup both with and without using flash to get the studio quality photos.

I'm using 450D and 430EXII flash.

Thanks

Default Re: Need advice on prime lens and lighting for baby photography

the S30 1.4 is a great lens. but do check for back/front focusing when making the purchase.
    as for the lighting, I'm not sure if it's just a myth, flash might be bad for the baby, as they move alot, they might accidentally look into your flash.

your 430 should do fine, and maybe u can try getting a radio trigger and do some off-shoe flash and together with some natural light from the windows.

I listed some sites that are useful for this subject in another thread.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476978

If you worry about flash, then go for window light. Same lighting setup as w/ flash (ie. 45deg or side light), except the fact that the window light replaces the flash
    Last edited by pinholecam; 17th February 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Blog Entries

a nice reflector to bounce back some of the window light back into the shadows

Quote Originally Posted by peterlimyk View Post
    Hi

I'm thinking of buying Canon 50mm f1.4 for my baby photography but since there's not much space in my room I need 30mm instead and I saw Sigma 30mm f1.4. Any comment or experience with Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Also, I need some advice on the lighting in my room, equipment and the setup both with and without using flash to get the studio quality photos.

Thanks

I'm currently using the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on my D90, with normal room lightings, you don't need to use flash. However you might need to raise your ISO accordingly. You will love this lens for indoor shooting.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is an excellent lens for baby shots on APS-C sensor DSLR, expecially shoot at wide open with good bokeh. It give you a closer distant and slower shutter speed to minimise shake. It's one of my more frequently use lens now.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Thanks for the replies

I might get Sigma 30mm f1.4 but will have a look at the IQ 1st. A reflector too may be.

Thanks for the replies

I might get Sigma 30mm f1.4 but will have a look at the IQ 1st. A reflector too may be.
    Remember to check the back/front focusing as mentioned by wdEvA. Good luck with your purchase.

Blog Entries

The camera and light is not going to care if subject is a baby or watermelon ...... but the baby will get upset if it gets hit by direct flash often enough.

Like bro above suggested, a reflector would work but keep it small if the space is tight....

Other tips might include

- bounce the flash off ceiling or use diffuser

- allowing ambient light in with a translucent (white) curtain drawn across the window

- if you have those full length mirrors on a stand, that can be placed strategically to bounce more light into the room

- non-lighting related..... a 20mm + a 35mm would be quite suitable as well

- clear the room of clutter to avoid a noisy background

- if you can help it, use a bedsheet without any patterns keep the bedsheet (if he/she is on a bed/cot ) (very personal, but I try to use bedsheets with colors that do not clash too much with skin tone or 'obiang'

- if toys are used, try to keep it simple

- and turn on the aircon ha ha ha..... its hard work and best to keep both baby and yourself cool and comfortable

good luck !!

bounced flash coupled with smaller apertures is more forgiving in low light than fast primes in terms of focus accuracy, for two reasons:

1. greater depth of field
    2. super-short flash duration helps to freeze motion

(the shot above used f/4 and was not set up in any specific way.)
    Last edited by varf; 21st February 2009 at 02:27 PM.
    eyes | head | feet | flickr | APAD: straight from camera

on the other hand thin DOF shots are perfect for newborns where you want to capture them as they are and can't set up and need to isolate backgrounds etc.

any 50 1.4 would be ideal as a tool, but don't forget to get some macro shots of delicate fingers and toes too.

Hi

Thanks
    i accidentally found out that if u want to flash on baby eyes, u can set higher ISO and the flash power will auto reduce (recharge oso faster)... if u use ISO100, the flash will be more power... i take my girl at ISO800 (in door) so the flash is lesser power... cheers....