Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: starhub maxonline is it got problem now?

Default Re: starhub maxonline is it got problem now?

but as in what i wrote to starhub -

it's simple. i am a paying customer, i can take a certain extent of your issues with a pinch of salt. that is, if i'm getting 8000-9000kbps in the morning, and you say that at night more people log on, it's not dedicated bandwidth, etc, can, simple, i can take it. but no matter how many people log on, there's still a certain minimum standard to achieve - what exactly is that minimum, i have no idea. but what i can do is to define it by usability. if your speed drops to say, 5000-6000kbps as a result of more people logging in at night, sure. but dropping 80% all the way down to 1200kbps is basically nonsense... using router problems, bandwidth problems, etc, as an excuse, is totally inexcusable.

most people are smart enough to know that when they pay for an advertised 6500kbps line, they will NOT get 6500kbps, but probably just like a threshold acceptable value to them, like say 60% of that speed. in fact, most people don't even judge by a raw number, they just define their internet connection based on usability.

so obviously when the internet becomes unusable, be it by any arbitrary or numerical standard, it's unacceptable. and right now, by arbitrary AND numerical standards, i'm saying that what i'm paying is obviously not worth the money...

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    sometimes it may be a routing issues at remote nodes. as an example, to access to ebay.com, it may have to pass thru from sing>japan>usa, or sing>hk>phil>usa.

if the one of the links have problems, then it will impact the overall bandwidth.

if hardwares are not the problem, it may be good to test local connection vs connections to various countries to make a guess what happened.

only the isp knows what had gone wrong, but they will not say a word obviously in case customers panic and demand for cancellation.

if i may remind all, the broadband package is only a shared bandwidth and not a dedicated bandwidth. it does not guarantee 12mbps 24/7 even though you may be a top paying customer (ie paying $150 per month). you are lucky it is working fine during peak time.

A true dedicated internet international bandwidth can cost several thousands dollars and we are only talking about 512kbps without the ability to burst like broadband. we are only paying a fraction here.
    Yes, you are right in most cases during the early evenings or weekends when many people are online, but if ou had read my posting carefully, in this case I never had problems with eBay and Photobucket in the past, it is only in the last few weeks.......and during daytime when most people in my block are at work, or at extremely late periods when most people are at sleep in my block

I went to the same sites at a wifi point in the city and all was fine.....very fast

HS

It is obvious the said isp is having network problems with their international traffic. if this isp does not fix the prob, they will induce customer churn. or maybe, it is deliberate since the IT show is coming. The internet biz is lucrative biz as you have hundreds of thousands of subscribers tapping on a shared bandwidth.

as for the wifi at malls and public areas, these internet providers are very likely on a different network giving you cleaner access to the usa websites (ie ebay.com). It may be Qala or other providers behind these wifi points and hence, you will not suffer the same problems from home. that is, they have routes dissimilar to the isp you are having problem with.

Like i said earlier, only the back-end guys for the affected isp know whats gone wrong and you can continue to beat a dead horse, but you still wont get a clue why on earth you are paying a premium for internet speeds that is barely comparable to a dial up modem of the 90s.

Best is, dump them for better speed with another isp then!
    Well, if Starhub doesn't get behind the problem, I will change but then to whom :-)

Anyway, they got back to me asking me to disconnect and asking me to do a test and give them a trace route, but how to give a trace route as the sites I am having problems with are password and ID sensitive?:

Dear Hong Sien

Thank you for your reply.

We would like to clarify if you are experiencing slow uploading of
    image or slow access to website with images?

How long does it take for you to load/upload up the website that you
    experience slow access with. Please also provide 2 x download test
    and trace route to the affected website.

If you have any questions on StarHub TV and MaxOnline services,
    please email to this address or fax in to (number)

Yours sincerely

xxx xxxx xxxx
    Customer Affairs

If you do a search on Google with 'Starhub problems' you will see more people were having the slow connection problems

HS

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Well, if Starhub doesn't get behind the problem, I will change but then to whom :-)
    Hi, not trying to psycho u, but juz to share my experience with Singtel.

Been with them for god noes how long, way back from the dial-up days.... Generally their service is fine lah, with the occasional hipcupps maybe once or twice a year, but it never last more than a day each time. (except that time some major cable kena chopped up by ship anchors)

In fact i recontracted on broadband i think twice with them alrd, each time 2yrs. And, i'm still using the first ADSL modem supplied (so i got like two extra modem sitting there doing nth).....

But one thing i like abt singtel's service is that i dun feel that they leave me in the lurch when problems come knocking on the door. They are at the very least, truthful to me(I dunno abt others). When its really a problem on their end, they tell me that yes, its their fault and bothered to call me back once the problem is rectified.

Although Singtel(back then when i recontract) did not offer plans at amazing speeds like what starhub offered, but well, do we really need that 100mbps?? I'm currently on 10mbps plan. Connection might at times split up to 3ways in my case. But so far so good, not lagging or whatsoeva. BTW, neither me nor my family does intensive online gaming.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by evo-lution; 11th March 2009 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post

Been with them for god noes how long, way back from the dial-up days.... Generally their service is fine lah, with the occasional hipcupps maybe once or twice a year, but it never last more than a day each time. (except that time some major cable kena chopped up by ship anchors)

In fact i recontracted on broadband i think twice with them alrd, each time 2yrs. And, i'm still using the first ADSL modem supplied (so i got like two extra modem sitting there doing nth).....

But one thing i like abt singtel's service is that i dun feel that they leave me in the lurch when problems come knocking on the door. They are at the very least, truthful to me(I dunno abt others). When its really a problem on their end, they tell me that yes, its their fault and bothered to call me back once the problem is rectified.

Although Singtel(back then when i recontract) did not offer plans at amazing speeds like what starhub offered, but well, do we really need that 100mbps?? I'm currently on 10mbps plan. Connection might at times split up to 3ways in my case. But so far so good, not lagging or whatsoeva. BTW, neither me nor my family does intensive online gaming.

Hope this helps
    Yes, I am considering Singtel, as they have a plan with all inclusive (mobile phone plan, Broadband at home, Broadband mobile and TV channels) called 'mio' I think.......will check their site

HS

better first check if MIO is available in ur block......some CSO say yes..when ur block has no coverage...
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

Extracted from starhub terms and condition:

11. Transfer Speed
    a. You acknowledge and accept that as with any network, actual downstream speed when using the Service is affected by many factors including without limitation :-

i. overall network traffic condition;

ii. performance and configuration of your computer or equipment connected to the Network;

iii. type of data accessed, whether non-cached or cached data;

iv. location and configuration of the accessed server; and

v. performance characteristics of each component of the data network, the number of users and the extent of all users' compliance with such conditions and requirements as set out by us.

b. You further acknowledge that we do not warrant or give any guarantee on data transfer speed or any other aspect of the Service. We hereby exclude all warranties, whether express or implied by law, regarding the use of the Service (including without limitation the accessibility, reliability or accuracy of the Service) and the performance and/or condition of the Network.

What can we do? I have problems even loading this site and can only surf internet using my office computer. Yet, still must pay them monthly...

Blog Entries

cable is shared bandwidth
    it will slow down during peak times

but i have no problems on my end

My problem has been around since last Friday.

Ah... So the problem applies only to all Sturhub Onlne users?

Mine's is like totally can sign into internet, but strangely, I can still play Call of Duty: World at War online leh. Does my online game operates independently from Starhub?

Hope this helps
    singtel customer service officer slam down the phone on me when i complain about billing issues.

i have terminated all my accounts with singtel already.

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    cable is shared bandwidth
    it will slow down during peak times

but i have no problems on my end
    this we already know, and after years of use you roughly know what bandwidth to expect when connecting to local and overseas sites. so it is usually very obvious when we encounter problems. throwing out starhub terms and conditions really doesn't help much. what we really need are ideas on troubleshooting the issue.

anyway...use starhub bandwidth utility to test while connected directly to cable modem. if the bandwidth is significantly lower than what you should get for your plan, give starhub a call and get them to look into it. there was once they told me the problem was with my cable modem. lots of dropped packets. so they asked me to bring it down for exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by hanqiang1011 View Post
    My problem has been around since last Friday.

Ah... So the problem applies only to all Sturhub Onlne users?

Mine's is like totally can sign into internet, but strangely, I can still play Call of Duty: World at War online leh. Does my online game operates independently from Starhub?
    maybe the game sends and received data in smaller packets so those go thru quite quickly. but if you do something like a file transfer then the problem might be more obvious.

I generally get pretty decent download speeds on MAxonline @ home (am on the 100mBPS plan). I am using a netgear wireless modem @ home and have tweaked it to give me tonnes of bandwidth

You may want to try out www.speedtest.net to see your actual bandwidth.

Also, there are a good no. of utilities available that can help tweak your TCP/IP and even modem settings.

wow thats bad. you shd have made your demands since they were at fault.

anyway, not one isp is perfect. if they can maximise profits, they would.

one more thing. since times are bad, many people stay at home surf net as a cheaper alternative to leisure (ie to reduce spending). There may induce a surge in demand for bandwidth.

oh that was years ago. they charged me for value-added services even after i told them that i didn't want those at the time i signed up. took them 3 months to resolve that and remove all the late payment charges for the VAS.

since then i have switched my mobile plans to m1 and starhub and have never been happier. recently switched my landline to starhub digital voice.

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    singtel customer service officer slam down the phone on me when i complain about billing issues.

i have terminated all my accounts with singtel already.
    Oh, thats bad... I rmb i had similar issues before for my first broadband contract. Heng they never slam phone on me But I did pay an additional month of fees for those extra service rendered. IMO, well, since i used those service alrd, its quite fair that i pay for it. But subsequently, the extra services are all terminated.

When i recontract, i make an effort to tell the CSO that i dun want the free 3mth service thingy to save the trouble of terminating those services 3mths later....

Oh, thats bad... I rmb i had similar issues before for my first broadband contract. Heng they never slam phone on me But I did pay an additional month of fees for those extra service rendered. IMO, well, since i used those service alrd, its quite fair that i pay for it. But subsequently, the extra services are all terminated.

When i recontract, i make an effort to tell the CSO that i dun want the free 3mth service thingy to save the trouble of terminating those services 3mths later....
    Yes ask the remove all those right at the beginning! I do that for all including mobile phone. They give me free but give me headache later when I want to remove so I tell them they can have it back and enjoy the free stuff on my behalf LOL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by madmacs View Post
    thanks for the link, i'll do a check

anyway.....

read somewhere that it's a problem with their DNS servers.

i've changed DNS servers and it actually works faster now. in fact, my speedtest.net readout last night was 7000, which was quite surprising for me. looks like the DNS servers were the limiting factor.

google is your friend.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast