Thread: Film Scanners.

Default Film Scanners.

Hi all,

I am intending to purchase a film scanner and would appreciate some views on whether Digital ICE is crucial. I am shooting a lot of slides and most are about one-year old at most right now.

My top choices so far is between Minolta Scan Dual III and Scan Elite II. Any othhers I should consider? Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a Minolta Scan Elite II? CP said that Minolta is no longer bringing the model in...

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by alangoh
    Hi all,

I am intending to purchase a film scanner and would appreciate some views on whether Digital ICE is crucial. I am shooting a lot of slides and most are about one-year old at most right now.

My top choices so far is between Minolta Scan Dual III and Scan Elite II. Any othhers I should consider? Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a Minolta Scan Elite II? CP said that Minolta is no longer bringing the model in...

Appreciate your inputs. Thanks.
    just my 2 cents,

I own a Scan Dual 3 and scan a lot of negatives and slides. My experience is that Scan Dual 3(no ICE) is good for slides but not negatives (extremely dusty ones). It seems to me that the dust and scratches on slides can be more easily identified and corrected when compared with negative. These spots are black on slides and white on negatives.

It is common for us to shoot in day time and most of the colours are white or light in colour. This makes it difficult for us to mark them for amendments. Imagine shooting slides in day time, these dark spots are very obvious in white background and are easily marked for correction.

Correction can either be done automatically using Minolta software or using PS (both manual and automatic). Assuming you use automatic, the software will try to "guess" whether the spot is dust or not. It seems to me that the software are able to handle well for slides but not negative. It tends to "over-mark" the dust spots on negative and I loss quite a bit details during the process.

To wrap up, if you anticipate you have a lot of dusty negative/slides to scan, get the elite II (resale market) or 5400 (new about 1.7k). If you can less about dust and can live with it, get the scan dual 3 at 0.56k. You have another alternative which is the nikon coolscan IV or something costing around 1k with ICE. No offence please as these information are based on my past experience.