Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you find Singapore a competitive place to live?

Default Re: Do you find Singapore a competitive place to live?

i used to work in HK.. i can say Spore is ard 60-70% of HK's competitiveness.. esp in sales and food stores!!!

in terms of other biz, i also say HK very competitiveness... they just go ALL the way to sell u stuff you want.. everything can be tailored to ur needs..

Quote Originally Posted by TsQ View Post
    i used to work in HK.. i can say Spore is ard 60-70% of HK's competitiveness.. esp in sales and food stores!!!

in terms of other biz, i also say HK very competitiveness... they just go ALL the way to sell u stuff you want.. everything can be tailored to ur needs..
    I've been to HK before and was quite put off by their sales attitude.

Compared to them, the sharks in Singapore's Sim Lim Square are as tame as pussycats.

For e.g., it is common practice for HK salespeople to literally shoo you out of their shops after you have bought something from them. They have the gall to tell you not to get in their way of doing more business with others.

As for walking on the streets, you can literally feel the locals' need to rush around here and there. The locals will shove you aside if you walk too slowly.

Compared with the Hong Kongers, we Singaporeans are really taking things easy.

BTW, one good thing about having HK colleagues is that they are super duper fast in supplying information to you when you need it. This is based on my experience in working for an MNC with worldwide subsidiaries.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Soth View Post

Compared to them, the sharks in Singapore's Sim Lim Square are as tame as pussycats.

For e.g., it is common practice for HK salespeople to literally shoo you out of their shops after you have bought something from them. They have the gall to tell you not to get in their way of doing more business with others.

As for walking on the streets, you can literally feel the locals' need to rush around here and there. The locals will shove you aside if you walk too slowly.

BTW, one good thing about having HK colleagues is that they are super duper fast in supplying information to you when you need it. This is based on my experience in working for an MNC with worldwide subsidiaries.
    errrr... when was that? after 1997, their service in HK is so good that it actually put spore service to shame... i think many people in other forum will agree as i saw similar comments..

in HK now, u walk into a shop.. they make u feel guilty not buying things.

when my wife was pragnant, a cloth shop actually went behind and took a stool for her to sit while i pick my buying

but all these is AFTER 1997 .. before that its exactly like what u said above.

believe me.. go there again now, u see how service oriented they are ..

yes.. this still happens now.. thats becos life is so competitive there, many takes up 2 jobs and need to rush to their other job afterwards.. rental is high there, expenses also not cheap.. so its rather different there with Govt not giving out help as easily as Spore here..
    Last edited by TsQ; 18th February 2009 at 06:04 PM.

Actually i find Singapore has the best balance of stress vs standard of living. Sure ppl find the pace here fast, stressfull, competitive but it is nothing compared to working in HK or Japan. I'm sure a farmer in vietnam will have a more relaxed lifestyle but then he is paid like a farmer in vietnam. I'm just thankful that I can knock off at 7, paid enough to buy a 5dkmII without exhausting a year's savings and have the time to enjoy my new 5dmkII.

HK service standards have really improved a lot. I worked there for a few months about 4 years ago and the service standards is one of best I've seen / experienced. 2nd maybe only to the japanese. And i'm not only talking about department stores, even the ar beng ar seng shops have service standards that rival raffles hotel.

hk is very different now. they used to drive out people from china - whether rich or poor.

Now, they treasure customers like gold as the ship had turned around and the Chinese are the ones with huge buying power.

Quote Originally Posted by zj2000 View Post
    HK service standards have really improved a lot. I worked there for a few months about 4 years ago and the service standards is one of best I've seen / experienced. 2nd maybe only to the japanese. And i'm not only talking about department stores, even the ar beng ar seng shops have service standards that rival raffles hotel.
    what happen was that, in 1997 the asian financial crisis hit HK real bad... really bad.. and they got this Andy lau airing this commercial that lasted almost like 10 mins every night, every now and then within the night.. and the impact was so huge that whenever salesperson gave bad service, the consumer will say "hey u never listen to what Wah Kor (andy lau) already said??" .. and andy lau is eveyone's religion there.. so it works well..

Hi fellas,

Here's some comments about the rudeness level of hong kongers

http://www.batgung.com/rudeness3

You'll find native hong kongers admitting that they have rude salespeople and this was written between 2005 to 2007.
    | Nikon D700; AF-S 14-24 f/2.8GED; AF 20 f/2.8D; AF 50 f/1.4D; SB400| Tamron AF 28-75 f/2.8 A09NII|

Hi fellas,

You'll find native hong kongers admitting that they have rude salespeople and this was written between 2005 to 2007.
    i duuno.. i been in and out of HK so many yrs and so many times a year..did live there for few yrs.. i can rest assure u that for now, service there is much better then in Singapore.. for all levels from the kopi shop until LV shop..

Hi fellas,

i guess it is really not fair to gauge how hk people live and talk. yes, they are fast paced, they do not have patience. But the society had shaped them to talk and think super fast. I may feel they are rude because i am not up to speed with their thoughts.

What is more important is how we can learn from them (on their positive their strengths) and then we can compete on par with them.

Also, in their rudeness, there is humor. sometimes they just laugh over it and we may not even get it. But if we take it as an attack, then we are just not understanding them right.

Honestly, once you earn their respect, they will be really really nice people.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    i guess it is really not fair to gauge how hk people live and talk. yes, they are fast paced, they do not have patience. But the society had shaped them to talk and think super fast. I may feel they are rude because i am not up to speed with their thoughts.

What is more important is how we can learn from them (on their positive their strengths) and then we can compete on par with them.

Also, in their rudeness, there is humor. sometimes they just laugh over it and we may not even get it. But if we take it as an attack, then we are just not understanding them right.

totally agree with u.. HKer will be hated by ppl that normally move slow, talk softly.. as HK cannot afford to move slow or talk soft until they need to repeat thenself again.. like what they say over there.. TIME IS MONEY..

like watson... in HK they will say "marry Xmas, thk u very much, hope to see u soon" in less then 3 second.. some see that as rude.. but thats just how fast they need to work in order to move the queue faster...

in watson Spore.. u get merely a Thk u (sometimes even dont get that) and yet they are damn slow...

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post

I have a very good and pleasant working relationship with my Hong Kong office. Sure like any other companies around the world there will be the political unethical career climbers or mercenary that steals company customers but put that aside, there are a number of staffers there I get along well with...in fact I wish some of them worked at my office heheh.. they get me information very quickly. It is never about doing it out of one favor for another favor but more that if you can relate with them closely on the job and you try to understand them abit more the just being professional but as a person, they are very giving. Yes we all want money and position but they seem less calculative about it...or maybe there are so motivated by it to a higher point that doing that little bit more is looked upon as a long term strategy where in Singapore...they will ask me first... got OT pay? How late? What will this get me if I do it? I guess I related more closely with my Hong Kong counterparts more. My Malaysia office... 6pm sharp...forget about calling them... all gone. Work also not finish..they will do it tomorrow. Work late? Just like some of my Singaporean colleague it is like pulling teeth. And I am not talking this is a regular thing about getting them to work late or work faster. It;s nothing new to me so when I tell them...not asking them to be like me but at least help abit. The answer is..I get PAID alot more. That is how they justify it heheh...thus I say...it is not competitive here. It is more Kiasu and Kiasi.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    I have a very good and pleasant working relationship with my Hong Kong office. Sure like any other companies around the world there will be the political unethical career climbers or mercenary that steals company customers but put that aside, there are a number of staffers there I get along well with...in fact I wish some of them worked at my office heheh.. they get me information very quickly. It is never about doing it out of one favor for another favor but more that if you can relate with them closely on the job and you try to understand them abit more the just being professional but as a person, they are very giving. Yes we all want money and position but they seem less calculative about it...or maybe there are so motivated by it to a higher point that doing that little bit more is looked upon as a long term strategy where in Singapore...they will ask me first... got OT pay? How late? What will this get me if I do it? I guess I related more closely with my Hong Kong counterparts more. My Malaysia office... 6pm sharp...forget about calling them... all gone. Work also not finish..they will do it tomorrow. Work late? Just like some of my Singaporean colleague it is like pulling teeth. And I am not talking this is a regular thing about getting them to work late or work faster. It;s nothing new to me so when I tell them...not asking them to be like me but at least help abit. The answer is..I get PAID alot more. That is how they justify it heheh...thus I say...it is not competitive here. It is more Kiasu and Kiasi.
    Just wanted to add that one of my Malaysian colleagues (who is a fellow manager) once told me that he had to take charge of Indonesian workers. To him, Indonesians are lazy and can even refuse to turn up for work! In his own words, he even "F@#!ed" the Indonesian manager upside down but to now avail coz' they just couldn't be bothered.

So every nation and culture has its own acceptable standards for what it considers to be the "normal" pace of life.

Back to the TS's question, I would say that compared to the Europeans and the rest of ASEAN, Singapore is therefore a very competitive place.

I like singapore

I like Singapore Aunties better.

Quote Originally Posted by hazmee View Post
    I like Singapore Aunties better.
    Fann Wong = Singapore Aunty?

Yes. I work in the gaming industry, and my friends in Singapore sometimes work till 4am in the morning (work starts at 9am), get underpaid (and no OT pay), and basically just work his life away.

Working in the US right now made me realize that although people here don't work hard as hard as us, the quality is better cause:

1. They've the talent.
    2. They've the resources.
    3. They're are somewhat working smart. (subjective)

I do admit, I still have the 'work hard while on the job and concentrate' mindset, so I tend to finish work faster than the other people.. except maybe for one of my Korean colleague..

I think the Asian mindset and Western mindset of working is different...

after going to HK I realised how uncompetitive Singapore is
    you don't need to work yourself to death, but you have to know how to identify opportunity and know when to work very hard, and when to just chill out.

actually, the americans or Australian are actually also as competitive. They knock off 5pm sharp dont mean they are not working as much as those here in Asia until wee hours of the days.. as from my observation when i am there, they really, really work and no MSN, no Forum posting, No facebooking etc.etc. .. its serious work from 9am to 5pm (ok maybe 4.45pm)..

while in spore, u get tea break (not just go pantry but go down to a kopitiam), MSN msg, Facebook posting etc.. seriously, how many of you they don't do that during work? Ok ok if you don't, how many of you know frens or those in your office do it? i think the rate is pretty high..

in HK, no need to ask.. if u r not up to the standard, u will be directed out to the exit pretty soon. HKer dont take in any crap for inefficiency..

in Spore, to be honest.. its a great balance, its like sitting btw HK and say M'sia pace... things are fast enough (but never say spore is damn fast.. shows u havent seen the world yet)...but at the same time also lets u enjoy a good and balance lifestyle

actually, the americans or Australian are actually also as competitive. They knock off 5pm sharp dont mean they are not working as much as those here in Asia until wee hours of the days.. as from my observation when i am there, they really, really work and no MSN, no Forum posting, No facebooking etc.etc. .. its serious work from 9am to 5pm (ok maybe 4.45pm)..

while in spore, u get tea break (not just go pantry but go down to a kopitiam), MSN msg, Facebook posting etc.. seriously, how many of you they don't do that during work? Ok ok if you don't, how many of you know frens or those in your office do it? i think the rate is pretty high..

in HK, no need to ask.. if u r not up to the standard, u will be directed out to the exit pretty soon. HKer dont take in any crap for inefficiency..

in Spore, to be honest.. its a great balance, its like sitting btw HK and say M'sia pace... things are fast enough (but never say spore is damn fast.. shows u havent seen the world yet)...but at the same time also lets u enjoy a good and balance lifestyle
    Not true... I'm workin in the US now (maybe because im in the design industry), pple here FB, watch youtube, watch anime during work. They social alot. Compared to Asians in the company, you can definitely feel the difference in the way they work...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast