Thread: Focusing Well for Sharp Images Below f/2.0

Default Focusing Well for Sharp Images Below f/2.0

i'm having a problem with focusing at apertures wide open. i usually use the centre autofocus point, with the "focus and recompose" technique. with low DOF, the part where i want the focus to be on seems to go OOF after i recompose.

does anyone experience the same problem and are there any ways around it?
    Canon 450D | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 50 f/1.8 II | 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | 430EX II | Raynox DCR-250

Default Re: Focusing Well for Sharp Images Below f/2.0

Yup i face the same problem while focusing my 50mm halfway and pointing it at another object but the focus will change to the other object. Perhaps should do a focus lock???

Quote Originally Posted by btym3011 View Post
    i'm having a problem with focusing at apertures wide open. i usually use the centre autofocus point, with the "focus and recompose" technique. with low DOF, the part where i want the focus to be on seems to go OOF after i recompose.

does anyone experience the same problem and are there any ways around it?
    is ur AF set to continuous focusing?
    cameras are not made of tofu

Quote Originally Posted by dev2k8 View Post
    Yup i face the same problem while focusing my 50mm halfway and pointing it at another object but the focus will change to the other object. Perhaps should do a focus lock???
    hmm.. ur problem seems to be a little different frm mine..

Quote Originally Posted by Fotophilic View Post
    is ur AF set to continuous focusing?
    AF is set to "one shot"
    Canon 450D | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS | 50 f/1.8 II | 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS | 430EX II | Raynox DCR-250

Depending if the lens if corrected for field curvature, the focus and recompose technique can throw the focus slightly off on your subject. It only becomes obvious when you have very thin DOF. Try using a focusing point close to where you want your subject to be, so you can minimise the "recompose" step.

Focus and recompose doesn't work with shallow dof.

http://visual-vacations.com/Photogra...pose_sucks.htm

The way around it is to compose your image, and use the focus point that is now on your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Gengh View Post
    Depending if the lens if corrected for field curvature, the focus and recompose technique can throw the focus slightly off on your subject. It only becomes obvious when you have very thin DOF. Try using a focusing point close to where you want your subject to be, so you can minimise the "recompose" step.
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseberry View Post
    Focus and recompose doesn't work with shallow dof.

http://visual-vacations.com/Photogra...pose_sucks.htm

The way around it is to compose your image, and use the focus point that is now on your subject.
    hmm.. thanks guys for the info