Thread: Nikon d40 or sony alpha 300

Default Nikon d40 or sony alpha 300

Help me decide on getting a d40 or a300 both looks like good buy but which is the better?

Default Re: Nikon d40 or sony alpha 300

I am sure you have read the specifications of both cameras. The Sony A300 is a newer model with newer features. Have you tried to get down to the shops to handle the two cameras ?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by lamergod View Post
    Help me decide on getting a d40 or a300 both looks like good buy but which is the better?
    Ermmm... D40 compared to a300 doesn't seem that fair... D40 is quite a bit cheaper ($788 new) only 6mp, have to manual focus on non-DX lenses (Few DX lenses available)... a300 quite a bit more expensive, have 10mp sensor, can use both SSM and AF motor drive (Means can even AF on minolta a-mount lenses).

For me the D40 was too small and wasn't too comfortable in my hand. That the main reason why I gotten the A200, you may want to go to Courts to get a feel of both cameras.

i went to sony styles to try out the a300 but when i went to sim lim, the service attitude was very poor i asked the shop keeper to let me have a hands on he just said it right there all of them is the same.

Just go to the coming IT show and test feel all the models available, afterwhich read up all the reviews available and decide from there.

Quote Originally Posted by photatographer View Post
    Ermmm... D40 compared to a300 doesn't seem that fair... D40 is quite a bit cheaper ($788 new) only 6mp, have to manual focus on non-DX lenses (Few DX lenses available)... a300 quite a bit more expensive, have 10mp sensor, can use both SSM and AF motor drive (Means can even AF on minolta a-mount lenses).

For me the D40 was too small and wasn't too comfortable in my hand. That the main reason why I gotten the A200, you may want to go to Courts to get a feel of both cameras.
    Erm, AFS DX lenses not counting 3rd party, ranges from wide angle 12mm to tele 300mm have more than enough choices to AF on D40/40x/60.

Given only the two choice I would choice the Alpha 300... Personally to me the Nikon D40 is "crippled" by Nikon to "trick" first-time dslr user to buy into their system....

Really, do some research. There is quite a huge difference between these models; for starters, the D40 uses the old Sony 6MP sensor, while the A300 uses sony's 10Mp sensor; the A300 has a tilting LCD, live view, etc etc etc. They are in totally different classes.
    Alpha

i went to sony styles to try out the a300 but when i went to sim lim, the service attitude was very poor i asked the shop keeper to let me have a hands on he just said it right there all of them is the same.
    Majority of the electronic shops at sls has a 5 stars service. get wat i mean?

Quote Originally Posted by photatographer View Post

ya should comapre D40/D60 with A200 instead.

Whichever brand you decide to buy, do yourself a favour researching intensively on which shop to buy. Those in SLS are notorious for chopping people's heads (there're a very few exception thou).

Poor service at Sim lim? Its obvious and to be expected, what's new.

Back to your topic, nikon d40 vs sony a300.... what's your budget?
    personally i find the d40 a little crippled feature-wise. but of course, that depends what kind of features matter to you.
    Last edited by weishengg; 16th February 2009 at 12:19 AM.
    Snap snap away!

my budget is like 500??from second hand market of course im buying at like end of the year i just want my camera to produce good image nothing too fancy

my budget is like 500??from second hand market of course im buying at like end of the year i just want my camera to produce good image nothing too fancy
    Erm... Today is Feb... still lots of time to do research. The digital world changes fast, by the time things can be quite different...