Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going for a trip to jap...I NEED HELP

Smile Re: Going for a trip to jap...I NEED HELP

Quote Originally Posted by enchantedream View Post
    just got my gorilla pod...Should be enough right?? or?? If i wanna take waterfall and pano i need tripod right??
    Good timing to visit Japan. Got your JR pass voucher? Transport in Japan is very expensive and the pass will save you a lot of money...
    Visit the following websites... tons of info on places to visit and how to get there and also on train schedule. Even suggestions on the travel plans for different sites.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/
    http://www.japan-guide.com/
    http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/nor...norikeyin.html

18-135 should be enough for most places and a 50mm lens for low light. A tripod even how basic it is a must. I'm not sure a gorilla can do cos many places will provide you with no perch. You'll be the missing character in any group photo

Dont be too ambitious. Focus on a few places. Nikko, Kakunodate (both north of Tokyo) are great places to make a visit (even as day trip) besides those mentioned above by other CSers. Or take a challenging alpine route in Toyama. All the info and details can be found at the JNTO site. Have fun...

Default Re: Going for a trip to jap...I NEED HELP

Quote Originally Posted by shierwin View Post
    Good timing to visit Japan. Got your JR pass voucher? Transport in Japan is very expensive and the pass will save you a lot of money...
    Visit the following websites... tons of info on places to visit and how to get there and also on train schedule. Even suggestions on the travel plans for different sites.

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/
    http://www.japan-guide.com/
    http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/nor...norikeyin.html

18-135 should be enough for most places and a 50mm lens for low light. A tripod even how basic it is a must. I'm not sure a gorilla can do cos many places will provide you with no perch. You'll be the missing character in any group photo

Dont be too ambitious. Focus on a few places. Nikko, Kakunodate (both north of Tokyo) are great places to make a visit (even as day trip) besides those mentioned above by other CSers. Or take a challenging alpine route in Toyama. All the info and details can be found at the JNTO site. Have fun...
    Thanks for that info.. ^^ i can't travel north of tokyo..i dont have time to do that.. =(( but thanks for the info... can't wait to go... I wonder how many people will be traveling to japan this year...i know a few photographers are traveling during this time to japan too!!

Thanks for that info.. ^^ i can't travel north of tokyo..i dont have time to do that.. =(( but thanks for the info... can't wait to go... I wonder how many people will be traveling to japan this year...i know a few photographers are traveling during this time to japan too!!
    As a photographer, dont miss on a clear day the sight of Mt Fuji when the Tokaido Shinkansen is just south of Mishima Station. Only Kodama bullets and some Hikari bullets stop at Mishima. The mountain lie west of the Tokaido line. Mishima is about 25 min south of Shin Yokohama or about 2 hours north of Nagoya. Check station maps to locate Mishima. The trains if they stop or slow down for Mishima will give you time to take a shot. That's somewhere nearby the famous pic found in almost all Jap travel brochures of a shinkansen passing in front of Mt Fuji is shot. Get the cam ready when you're somewhere near Mishima (when written in Kanji the words mean three islands). Most will miss the sight as by then passengers on board will be dozing away...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber_Duck View Post
    Been to disneyland and sea for couple of time...
    but did bring tripod just brought along my Gorilla tripod along so far....
    But I remember I saw ppl using tripod taking pix....never mind next time I bring my tripod and see how....
    i dun think disney allow any tripod, never saw any tripod when i was there 2 weeks ago...btw its stated clearly in their website and brochure that no tripod allowed.
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...t20090314.html

are u taking A380 ????
    Sony αlpha A550, DT16-105mm f/3.5-5.6, M50mm f/1.7, HVL-58AM Flash
    http://sunny815.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Canto View Post
    i dun think disney allow any tripod, never saw any tripod when i was there 2 weeks ago...btw its stated clearly in their website and brochure that no tripod allowed.
    http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/t...t20090314.html
    Thanks for the link...
    Anyway I don't really take photo during the parade performance.
    But I only bring my DSLR gorilla tripod for the night shot...

This is the night shot i use gorilla tripod at DisneySea.

Yo congrats on ur tripod purchase. be sure to know how to operate it. touch wood dun wait tripod fall camera gone.. mindful of that. U got remote IR?? haha if u ok with delay shot timer should be fine. Nite shots may need optional remote ir, u may wanna consider. less than 10 bucks or under 20.

good to have it, then when u need it, u actually found out that u dun have it lol!!! BBB hahaha. SOUND familiar yo hahaha.

you might be overly ambitious if you are travelling with non-photographers. a tripod means setting up, taking down and bringing around, and that makes photographing slow. you might have to see your itinerary to see if you can leave it at the hotel most of the time and still be able to return and bring it out for special occasions, e.g. night scenes, waterfall, coastal, fireworks etc.

you may take a very light tripod or bring no tripod, unless you are committed to a dedicated photographic trip targetting at long exposure at low ISOs. but if you ain't requiring the "must have tripod situation" and the "must have tripod quality", depending on your camera ISO performance, most sunrise and early sunset can be handled. late sunset when getting dim will however require a tripod.

Light good tripods are not cheap, and even a 800gm gitzo can be a nuisance to carry if you already carry a few lens around, that is for me. and tripod becomes a nuisance when it comes to framing, which is help with a good tripod head, which again is not cheap (if you are willing to spend, i recommend markins). gorillapod is probably useful in a urban setting to do some group photograph, but if you are catching nice scenaries, i doubt there is things for you to anchor it. frankly speaking, i have done quite a number of trips, and are still always in a dilemna to bring or not to bring, my 800gm or my 1.6kg tripod or neither. should i get a monopod or a chestpod and "replace" the tripod? i never got an answer. maybe becos there isn't a good answer, and becos i'm not a tripod person and i'm not a night person, so the tripod becomes not so critically required.

10-20mm (i use that, but KRW recommend tokina 11-16mm) is a good addition, but the number of lenses (and including the raynox) all adds up and you are carrying as much things as guys. do you want to reconsider the lenses you are bringing based on your shooting preferences?
    Last edited by zoossh; 23rd February 2009 at 11:32 AM.

Suggest that TS rethink carrying the Raynox. Macro is too time-consuming and may get on the nerves of your travel partners (who are not photographers) who might want to get moving and see more stuff. You'd want to spend time with your friends more than with your camera. You'd also want to enjoy taking in the view and all (since it's your first time) instead of trying to get the "perfect" shot.

Likewise, tripod is also not a must imo. Best if you leave it if you ask me.

Regarding the places to visit, you might want to swing by to Kamakura while you're in Tokyo. Day passes (express and special express) can be bought at major JR stations in Tokyo for around 1100yen iirc. It's pretty worth it as Hachimangu would be bustling with activities in that period. Dankazura would also be decorated with flowering sakura. Many other attractions there to make it a good day trip out of Tokyo.

Enjoy your trip.

Hey thanks for the suggestions..i wanna bring mi raynox because i wanna get macro for the sakura flowers ^^ raynox ain't that heavy too!! I wanted to ask something but i forgot what i wanna ask...maybe will come back here if i remember.. ^^ cheers.. Good luck to those who are going japan TAKE MANY PICS AND POST UP HERE AYE!

I REMMEBERED!! okay aye..where to get the IR remote?? which shops and stuffs..yea haha

I'll be there end of March from Tokyo to Kyoto, and getting the 7-day JR Rail Pass this weekend at NATAS - they said there's a small discount, which amounts to maybe $50 difference for 2 passes.

Wanna walkabout with a UWA lens and a 50mm for cosplayers maybe.

I don't think you'd wanna use Raynox for close-up sakura? Just use a 50mm bah, don't just take 1 sakura at super close-up. Take a bunch of them, and your 50mm does the job well I think. Raynox makes u go really close up, and I only used it for insects.
    Macro Photography in SG - http://sgmacro.blogspot.com | Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/sgmacro

=D go hiking maybe can find insects..idk i prefer to bring stuffs then in the end regret not taking some picture because i wanna reduce load...=/ got that once...forgot to bring my 50mm to ubin...then alot of things cannot take nicely...pretty pissed off

i wanted to shoot fast and loose when i was out in japan a couple of years back.

so i ditched the tripod.
    i also ditched the camera back, or rather, used a 3-day assault pack as a camera bag hold all for main travel, then dumped it at the hotel, and carried a light canvas bag that had all my gear in it.

30/1.4 on my D2X, 70-210 and 18-50 in my bag to cover other lengths, sb800 for flash requirements.

at least 4 4gb cards, lens cloth, plastic bag if it got wet [i was out in summer - very hot, humid, typhoon brought very heavy downpours, through which i shot my D2X without cover, with no probs]

thats all.
    i used a laptop back at the hotel for dumping my shots.

also carried: small point & shoot camera for video, backup and snapshot.

my D2H, an sb600 and about 6 other lenses were backup in my assault pack.
    Last edited by wobbly; 24th February 2009 at 01:25 PM.
    *D700,D2X,D2H,Mamiya*

Talking Re: Going for a trip to jap...I NEED HELP

i did 2 weeks in hokkaido, tokyo and kyoto with a 18-55 kit lens, a nifty-50 and a 55-200VR to complement my d40....damned if the 18-55 wasn't on my camera 80% of the time

only dug out the 55-200 for street candid shots mostly...

i got too lazy to MF for the 50
    OM-D 12.4.12 / 8.1.11-18.3.12 - gf1 -RIP / 24.1.9 - dec.10 d90 - RIP / 5.6.7-24.1.9 - d40 - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    For me, the tripod is a must. Couldnt bear to ask some strangers to take photos for my wife and myself. Most of the time, the pics are not well taken (either out of focus or badly composed).

You can always bring a lightweight tripod.
    Kind of agree that tripod is a must. Especially if you like to take 'self portrait' or like what mentioned by bruggink.

Just need to make sure you willing to carry it when you go out, no point bring to Japan and the tripod just laid in the hotel room....

Did the same route last year same time.
    Here's what I can remember.

SIN-KIX
    Nara Park & Todaiji (Reindeer & Largest wooden structure in the world)
    Namba Shopping Area (Be sure to visit American Town & DenDen Town & buy Uniqlo clothings)
    Himeji-Jo (Himeji Castle)
    Kyoto (Temples/daytime and Geisha/nighttime)
    Osaka-Ko Aquarium (worth visiting)
    Universal Studio

KIX-TYO
    Kawakuchiko Lake (spend 2 nights in a hostel there, you can rent a bicycle for daily transportation around the Famous 5 Lakes. Alot of authentic onsens/hot springs. Direct bus access to Mt Fuji 5th station about 20mins)
    The usual shopping areas in Tokyo.
    Spent 1 night in love hotel located around Shinjuku. Worth the experience.
    Tsukiji Fish Market, before daybreak(check if it's open for tourist now, there was a ban recently)
    The anime/manga town (forgot the name)

Tips: Do not use the JR-Rail pass in Kansai region, only activate it on the day from your shinkansen: KIX to TYO onwards. In Kansai, you will less likely use JR, but instead, Kintetsu and etc. TYO's main train operator is JR.
    Bring a tripod and flash, take good shots of you and your boyfriend.
    Lake Kawakuchiko is my definite recommendation.
    And bring along a guide book like lonely planet, worth the weight!

Hope my post prove useful!
    a700 + F56AM + 50mm/f1.7 + 17-50mm/f2.8 + 90mm/f2.8 + 75-300mm
    flickr!

When i went to Taiwan about 2 weeks ago, i brought along my Kata DR 467 bag, included inside were my Canon KissF, Tamron 17-50mm F2.8, Canon EF 100mm F2.8 Macro, EFS 55-250mm, EF 50mm F1.8 and my flash. I also brought along my tripod which weights about 2kg.

I went to the TGS event at their WTC, and also went around shooting scenery. 90% of the time using Tamron, 10% using 100mm. The other 2 lens were not used at all, and mostly left in the hostel.

Tripod was used for only about 100 shots mostly at night and when i went hiking at YangMingShan and 4 Beast mountain.

I found that walking with the Kata bag and tripod bag seem quite alright for me. I think is how comfortable are you walking around with those extra weights.

Thanks lubber duckie.. err..love hotel o.O i dont think so..=s hehe

Thanks lubber duckie.. err..love hotel o.O i dont think so..=s hehe
    You should go to shibuya 109 too... is a very intesting place and the cloths is pretty and cute too....
    FYI, Love hotel is a very interesting place to visit...
    The room rate is 2 or 3 hrs is abt Yen5000.....Is a good place to take a rest... if you are too tired.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast