Thread: Help Needed: Computer Problem

Default Help Needed: Computer Problem

I use Windows explorer to access some of the seldom used folders on my computer, and whenever I try to access those folders, my computer will hang. Only a hard reset will get it out. However, if I access other more frequently accessed folders and files, then it is working normally.

Now the question is: What has gone wrong? The hard disk or my computer has been infected by virus? (I used AVG free edition scan my computer, no virus detected).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
    Come visit my blog

Default Re: Help Needed: Computer Problem

depends... it might be the folders are corrupted, not necessary always infected by virus or worms.

what you can do is either do a full defrag and do a chkdsk on top of the virus scan.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Yes, do a scandisk.

Double-click My Computer
    Right-click on C: drive > Properties
    Go to Tool tab > Error Checking > Check Now
    Check both the 2 options and click Start
    Restart the PC if prompted
    Cross your fingers and hope for the best.

maybe bad sector ..
    u better start to back up your harddisk

1. From Start -> Run.

2. Type Chkdsk c: /f /r

3. Click ok. A commmand prompt windows will appear with this text :

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
    Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time
    the system restarts? (Y/N)

4. Type Y and enter.

5. Restart your PC. The chkdsk command will do a surface scan on the next boot. It will take a while (15mins to a couple of hours), ie will be faster if no problem and vice-versa.

I sometimes do the whole steps 1 - 5 a few times until the scans show no errors. The chkdsk /f /r will automatically repair and relocate data on bad sectors. But sometimes files relocated to new sectors which are also bad sectors. So that's why I do a couple more scans to really ensure the data integrity. Once the whole process is done, I'll get a new drive and transfer over my important data.

Because when hardrive starts to develop bad sectors, I know that I need to get a new drive and decomission this one. No point using drives with bad sectors as more bad sectors will develop and one day die on you with all your precious data.

But don't press the panic button yet if the scan result only shows "cross-linked file" and no bad sectors. That is ok but shows that sometime ago the PC was abruptly power down without going thru the proper shutdown process.
    Last edited by greenieadi; 14th February 2009 at 01:57 PM.

Just to add, if you feel something is wrong with your hardisk, don't defrag as it will sometimes worsen the problem.

Just do the steps on my previous posting before backing up and then defrag the drives.

whatever you had been told to do, just remember to back up your most impt data first followed by the less impt folders. better still, burn onto CD also.

Let me relate one incident to you about computer problems.

I once worked for a large usa telco. back then internet was difficult and restrictive. As i needed to access a special program in my PC via a landline connection to a remote server in one part of usa (ie via IPLC), i left a desktop pc on 24x7 hooked to a 36kbps dial up modem. i tested locally and everything worked fine. in fact i had been using this set up from home access. This was a simple vpn (virtual private setup using freeware hehe), slow but very secure. So, one fine day i had to travel. halfway thru my trip in north asia, i contacted my secretary to reboot the computer. An idiot sales manager tagged along. He kapo and said computer corrupted. then he fixed it!

I had no access till my return. When i stepped into the office, the sales manager saw me, rushed forward and greeted me. He said how bad my computer hard disc became. BUT BUT BUT then, he helped me fixed it. Puzzled, i thanked him. when i switched on the desktop, i yelled out loud for my secretary.... The sales mgr was called from his desk, he came to my room and he said, oh you know, i did something really good and its called format c:

fXXX

Moral of story, dont let anyone touch your computer until it is safely backed up! I learned the hard way!
    Last edited by contaxable; 14th February 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    whatever you had been told to do, just remember to back up your most impt data first followed by the less impt folders. better still, burn onto CD also.

Let me relate one incident to you about computer problems.

I once worked for a large usa telco. back then internet was difficult and restrictive. As i needed to access a special program in my PC via a landline connection to a remote server in one part of usa (ie via IPLC), i left a desktop pc on 24x7 hooked to a 36kbps dial up modem. i tested locally and everything worked fine. in fact i had been using this set up from home access. This was a simple vpn (virtual private setup using freeware hehe), slow but very secure. So, one fine day i had to travel. halfway thru my trip in north asia, i contacted my secretary to reboot the computer. An idiot sales manager tagged along. He kapo and said computer corrupted. then he fixed it!

I had no access till my return. When i stepped into the office, the sales manager saw me, rushed forward and greeted me. He said how bad my computer hard disc became. BUT BUT BUT then, he helped me fixed it. Puzzled, i thanked him. when i switched on the desktop, i yelled out loud for my secretary.... The sales mgr was called from his desk, he came to my room and he said, oh you know, i did something really good and its called format c:

fXXX

Moral of story, dont let anyone touch your computer until it is safely backed up! I learned the hard way!
    Yeah, don't format the drive. But if your hardisk is already messed up like what the TS mentioned, how on earth are you going to backup?

If windows explorer can't access those folders, how can any backup software on earth able to backup those data.

Anyway the chkdsk command does a different job than a format command. If you ever used a computer from 2 decades ago you know what I mean.

Too bad on your experience but don't get the TS worried for nothing. We are here to offer help not fXXX up his pc. When was the last time u check your hardisk health?
    Last edited by greenieadi; 14th February 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenieadi View Post
    Yeah, don't format the drive. But if your hardisk is already messed up like what the TS mentioned, how on earth are you going to backup?

If windows explorer can't access those folders, how can any backup software on earth able to backup those data.

Anyway the chkdsk command does a different job than a format command. If you ever used a computer from 2 decades ago you know what I mean.

Too bad on your experience but don't get the TS worried for nothing. We are here to offer help not fXXX up his pc.
    I know your intent and am not targeting at you giving lousy advise. i had walked thru those commands yonks ago and i do know they are harmless and your pure intent was to help him.

honestly, if TS needs to come to a photo forum to seek computer help, i dont think he may be comfortable with dos commands.

What i am afraid more is if he ask a friend to help him fix and it may mean more hell instead of saving just an OS or a folder. You never know if that fella used the format c: command as that would be the fastest way to do a clean wipe and then reinstall from boot.

peace

Thanks for all the quick replies. I did the chkdsk /f /r and found quite a number of bad sectors. Some files have been corrupted due to bad sector. looks like I have to back up the whole hard disk and then replace with a new one. or any other less painful (in terms of money) solutions? Thanks!
    Come visit my blog

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda View Post
    Thanks for all the quick replies. I did the chkdsk /f /r and found quite a number of bad sectors. Some files have been corrupted due to bad sector. looks like I have to back up the whole hard disk and then replace with a new one. or any other less painful (in terms of money) solutions? Thanks!
    barracuda, what software r u using to backup? If u intent to clone the hardisk, it will also copy the bad sector along. Meaning, if you have 10mb of bad sectors and decided to clone that drive to a newer drive, the newer drive will also have those 10mb of bad sectors even though physically it does not.

Like I suggests, do the steps of chkdsk /f /r over and over until no more bad sector is found.

Then just burn those important files to CD/DVD disc,that is, if your cd/dvd burning software is not corrupted due to those bad sectors.

Just to note, recovering data from bad sectors doesn't mean your files are safe. If some of your image files resides on those bad sectors, these files, even though recovered, are in fact corrupted already.

Corrupted image after recovery on my drive in 2002

Intent of chkdsk /f /r is to repair the damaged file allocation table of the filesystem and try to salvage as much of those important files as possible.

After ALL important files are saved somewhere else ( not on hardisk), you can safely re Format drive. The new OS will skip those bad sectors when reinstalling.

Good luck.

Contaxtable, I think if gives direct and specific instruction, people would be doing less guess work. Your case is one, to say "I can fixed it" is a very general term that your sales manager quote. Can't quite blame him as you never specify your requirement.

greenieadi: Thanks a lot. Luckily my important files have multiple copies. I ran the chkdsk twice, and now there is no more new bad sectors Thanks you for all your advice.
    Come visit my blog