Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What 49mm UV filters do you use?

Default What 49mm UV filters do you use?

49mm filter rim is something quite unique to Pentax lens, mainly for primes. It's a bit hard to source for them. Other than b+w (cos I find them scratching too easily), do you have any other recommendations for high quality UV filters? Thanks.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Default Re: What 49mm UV filters do you use?

The 49mm filter thread is not unique to Pentax only. Leica, Minolta and Olympus also used this size for their lenses, though this size has become less commonly used today.

I use B+W and Hoya, though I remove them if I'm shooting night scenes.
    Not sure why your B+W got scratches (do you use a Lenspen?) as I find them very durable.
    There are of course Heliopan and Rodenstock, which are quite pricy.
    You can also consider the original Pentax SMC, Minolta and Olympus filters on the used market.

I like Kenko Pro 1 Digital but the the smallest size they make is 52mm.
    Last edited by creampuff; 14th February 2009 at 07:36 AM.

Thanks. Yeah, it's quite hard to find 49mm. the most common small size is the 52mm for nikon and canon i guess. Heliopan and rodenstock very hard to find in retail. I could only find the kenko and hoyas. Original Pentax smc is too elusive again. Somehow in spore, the choices are very limited. Haiz.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

I have one called KOYA. Bought it some time back though at Far East Plaza.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

I've got el-cheapo Marumi and Aroma brand 49mm UV ones too and if you're not shooting in extreme side lighting, they do their job well enough. In fact if you're using AWB (auto white balance), the plentiful Skylight filters work just as well as the camera will factor in the slight colour cast. Heck I picked up a few new old stock original B+W skylight filters from one of the local shops for $10 each last year.

Other option is to get a 49mm to 52mm step up ring and use 52mm filters.
    Last edited by creampuff; 14th February 2009 at 11:27 AM.

i actually got a couple of hoya pro 1D 49mm ones. Usually half price of the b+w ones. The new b+w ones are even slimmer. The thing about using step up rings n using the 52mm, is you need to get 52mm caps.

49mm is not very difficult to find.
    I am using one B+W and one Heliopan.

The difficult one is the 43mm if you would like to use the original lens cap of DA21.
    K-5: DA1224,DA2040,DA*50135, FA31,43,24-90, To Sell: DA21,DA1770
    http://matchkk.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by matchkk View Post
    49mm is not very difficult to find.
    I am using one B+W and one Heliopan.

The difficult one is the 43mm if you would like to use the original lens cap of DA21.
    Yeah man, my da21 is still filterless after half a year of searching. I did buy a 43mm b+w but somehow the rim was too thick and couldn't fit in.
    Last edited by scorpioh; 14th February 2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: grammar error

maybe hjbyeo is right. You can try ebay online - http://cgi.ebay.com/49mm-43mm-49-43-...d=p4634.c0.m14

I bought Step up 52mm-67mm from ebay and got it last month. Satisfied with it.

yeah... finally finish my exhausting 2 weeks in camp...

heliopan at ebay or from eugene if he has... other size i buy from ebay... much cheaper than local shops...

murami seems to be pretty good as well...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

Quote Originally Posted by flowerpot View Post
    yeah... finally finish my exhausting 2 weeks in camp...

heliopan at ebay or from eugene if he has... other size i buy from ebay... much cheaper than local shops...

murami seems to be pretty good as well...
    There are the better murami, and the el-cheapo ones.. the better ones include water resistance ...

come to think of it, all my Ltd lenses didn't put on filter.

Got the distributor's address from Chiif, i buy from them when in need of rare sizes.

My FA 50 is running on Hoya UV 49mm bought from MS Color,

My Hexanon 50's filters on my rangefinder i had to get it from the Hoya distributor.
    40.5mm I'm scared shitless of losing the lens cap.

I used to use B+W MRC ones on my lenses. But now I like the Marumi WPC (Water Proof Coating) better. They are very slim (3mm thick rim), and optically was tested to be good or even better than the normal B+W MRC ones, pretty easy to clean too. They are not easy to find, but you should be able to get the DHG ones (very nice too) easily (from MS Color or some other shops).

Of course most of my lenses have Pentax SMC filters on, but those are not easy to get. Mostly you can only get them second hand, not really worth it unless you are a Pentax junkie like me

I think like fengwei said. The marumi WPC is pretty gd but just tat it's not widely known.

The Kenko Pro-1d is quite value for money. The coating , as seen from just my eyes, has very little reflection, plus it's just thin enuff....unlike those ultra-thin types where a snap-on cap has trouble clipping on. Some 49mm sizes can be found in evilBay.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Eugene has told me my heliopan order is coming in anytime. Marumi seems like a nice choice for those interested. If only Pentax can make UV filters again...

Mine is HOYA at RM35 bucks.

Been looking around for 49mm filter at the usual AP, MS, CP and other shops in funan. None of them have 49mm. Only CP have B+W Skylight 49mm

bro, i was quoted 10.50 from a staff at CP Peninsula for a 49mm tokina UV filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast